Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 05:44 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times

Advertisements

This is a problem unique to the No. VA / DC area since so close to ground zero of the federal government, but do you find the local TV news covered so imbalanced, not relevant, and annoying? In a half hour, they report the weather 3-4 times, hyping it up as much as they can, and besides say the latest local shooting, they the newscasters seem to hate and trash Trump many days (sometimes valid, sometimes not), likely will happen with DeSantis if/when elected also doing good for the people, but support and defend Biden's sometimes plain evil leftist agenda in some minds. Within the Washington DC city borders it votes 90%+ Democrat, more so than other cities, though in the DMV outer suburbs it is more red. At the same time, useful TV news to so many, such as the postage stamp increase to 68 cents on January 21 is not reported, or at best after the fact after previous stamp prices increases. It is why I come to City Data and other internet sources outside of my market for my news. I had to live stream from one of Richmond stations VA governor's Glenn Youngkin inauguration in Jan 2022 with a unifying message, as none of the local DC TV stations chose to carry it. The DMV TV news coverage is so bad here, some call it brainwashing, and some close friends also choose to distrust it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 06:49 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
You come to City Data for news???? That tells me all I need to know.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:04 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I haven't watched local (or national, for that matter) news in over 10 years. There are so many better ways to obtain the news. I've learned about the postage stamp price increase from at least three different sources. I assumed local news was still on because people wanted to hear about the local weather.

If you hate it, why are you still watching it?

Old 01-18-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I haven't watched local (or national, for that matter) news in over 10 years. There are so many better ways to obtain the news. I've learned about the postage stamp price increase from at least three different sources. I assumed local news was still on because people wanted to hear about the local weather.

If you hate it, why are you still watching it?

Elderly relative in the house has it on, she is not internet saavy. For me, not watch, audio just a noise mostly, catching snipets of it here and there.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:25 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Elderly relative in the house has it on, she is not internet saavy. For me, not watch, audio just a noise mostly, catching snipets of it here and there.
I catch snippets of the many B-level horror flicks my husband likes to watch. Personally, I hate them. But I've never purposely spent time bashing them on the internet.

I really don't understand why you care so much.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I catch snippets of the many B-level horror flicks my husband likes to watch. Personally, I hate them. But I've never purposely spent time bashing them on the internet.

I really don't understand why you care so much.

This DC TV news part of the humanist Marxist agenda destroying this country, but that may be an item for greater discussion elsewhere. Its just worse being within an hour of Washington DC, gotten much worse in the last several years.

The postage stamp increase elderly relative weeks ago heard from another relative in NC who he heard it on their TV news. Its so much of the TV news here is not relevant to people's day to day lives, like the president's dog biting staffers.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:10 PM

And there are the buzzwords. I knew they’d pop up sooner rather than later.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:19 PM

As someone who just moved to the DC area from the Raleigh area this past April, I can tell you that there's virtually no difference in the local news. There isn't more focus on Washington politics here just because we're closer.

I heard about the stamp increase on the local news back when USPS announced it. You may have missed it, but I assure you it was covered. And Youngkin's inauguration likely wasn't televised live here because this viewing area covers two states and the District. Only a portion of their viewers care what he has to say. No one in MD or DC is interested in watching. Anyone who is interested can do exactly what you did.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:41 PM

And DC seat of federal government more contentious federal coverage.

And they have no problem covering DC Mayor Bowser marching in a DuPont Circle parade of no interest to VA and MD residents.

They would have more time covering other news if they not think we are so stupid to have to cover the weather every several minutes.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
DON'T watch it if it is obviously upsetting you so much. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: