Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 02:06 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
I gave up watching except for the weather segments when the world caught on fire.

Prior to that I was watching NBC 4 in the later 2010s, in the early 2010s it was Fox 5 until my favorite reporter Brian Bolter retired.

I am curious to know who is the tv news leader in this market currently? It used to be NBC 4 for many years. But they had several popular on air talent exit the station due to retirements and deaths. I also think the news set redesign didn't go over too well either.

Fox 5 moved to a new building and expanded their news offerings as well as dumping seasoned on air talent for younger and sexier anchors.

WJLA ABC 7 and WUSA CBS 9 news coverage does not seem to be as comprehensive as their competitors. U think both of those stations fight it out for fourth and fifth place.

WDVM DC News Now (formerly WHAG NBC 25) did a good job covering news in the northwest counties outside of DC. But when they expanded to cover all of the DMV, they started behaving like WJLA and WUSA.

In closing, I suspect WTTG Fox 5 is the current news leader. However, I can't find any information on it nor prove it.
We used to watch NBC 4 back in the 90s. After a while, we got tired of listening to Jim Vance stumble over his words.

Then we switched to WUSA 9 and stuck with them for a long time. We liked the news anchors they had at the time. Plus, Topper Shutt has always been a constant there. The only thing we didn't like about him was that he always smiled when a snowstorm was coming.

Over time, we thought that WUSA 9 was not covering certain stories so we gave Fox 5 a chance. They seemed to do a better job. However, some of the younger anchors would get on my nerves. Marina Maracco always would end every news segment she did by whispering the ending. Wish I had a way to have sent them feedback about that. Jim Lokay's favorite topic of conversation was himself.

When the pandemic hit and all the chaos of antifa/BLM also hit, we gave up on the news entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 12:08 PM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
The only way to get news here days is to get it from so many different sources - it's easier to do this by reading. But this is a pretty tedious process and gets many people uninterested and sometimes, it's just plain boring. Unless you really like to know what goes on in the world.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:00 PM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
In closing, I suspect WTTG Fox 5 is the current news leader. However, I can't find any information on it nor prove it.

Recently tuned into WTTG Fox 5 the last week or so, which have not done maybe for years. IMO way better, especially compared to WJLA 7. Channel 5 covers so many more news stories of interest in a half hour, some quite helpful and relevant to many peoples lives. The weather once or perhaps twice, unless a severe weather event if the news story of the day. They also get in a traffic report, and lesser focus on politics.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:13 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
the remote control does a great job of changing channels and powering off the TV.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:45 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Who remembers "City under siege."?

Old 03-06-2024, 01:58 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
WJLA (ABC 7) is owned by the conservative Sinclair Broadcasting Company and has been known to insert that point of view into their programming. (You apparently arrived too late for the Boris Epshteyn opinion pieces.) Between that and the Baltimore Sun - recently bought by the Sinclair CEO - that should cover your media needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: