Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 04:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
For every person in DC “looking down on Fairfax,” you don’t think someone in Fairfax is looking down on DC? Particularly about Carjackings, Crime, riots, lawlessness, decriminalizing fare evasion, etc. Nobody in Fairfax looks down on PG County?

Lots of paranoia, haha. I don’t think anyone looks down on Fairfax. What do they say? It has the best schools in the country?
I didn’t mention people in DC looking down on Fairfax. I mentioned Arlington, which is where I grew up lol. People like to scoff that it is suburbia where much of Arlington, at least when I grew up there, was kinda indistinguishable from parts of Fairfax county.

DC is now a pretty safe city that has gone through massive gentrification. Didn’t even bring up PG county, it seems the paranoia is strong with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 05:06 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
How many GW undergrads have ever been to Springfield?

Old 12-21-2023, 06:06 PM

85 posts, read 39,276 times
How will the taxpayers of eastern, western, and southern Va react to paying for this?

Old 12-22-2023, 07:47 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Exactly! I know three people who have kids in their 20’s that each rent one of those fancy new apartments around the ballpark area, who now live back home out in Loudoun because of the crime. One was mugged, one was car-jacked, and the other left because she was just afraid of being assaulted after dark. BILLIONS of dollars poured into that area over the last decade to build all of those high-end apartments and amenities, now considered a dangerous place to be, all because of the soft crime position. DC is in BIG trouble here. What was once considered to be the safest place to invest in commercial real estate in the country (thanks to the stability of the federal work force and growing private sector anchors), is now a market that many investment committees for debt and/or equity simply will not engage on anymore. You lose the flow of corporate America revenue stream, and things head south quickly. It’s not all Bowser’s fault either, she is pinned in the corner by the federal government, but she is responsible for the crime wave.
DC will never be "safe" until a wall is constructed around SE DC that keeps the criminals from wandering to other areas to pilage. The silver line of the metro brought those criminals to Tysons to prey on decent folk.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't think the word 'suburbanite' has typically been used as a pejorative. I think it's been used as such in the neo-urbanist narrative of the last 20-25 years driven to some extent by the Gen Xers and millennials who were raised in safe and yet 'boring' suburbs, took their advantages for granted while grating against their downsides, and who were introduced to the idea of city living via curated gentrification concepts backed up by aggressive policing.

I remember when people talked about 'urban' as code for crime-ridden, dangerous, filthy and by and large unappealing. And as anyone who's spent any longer period of time in a city knows - a city can be all that and parts of any city will be exactly that.

One thing is certain: there's always going to be a hierarchy of areas. There's tier 1,2,3 and so forth neighborhoods in suburbs and cities alike. A tier 1 urban neighborhood might be seen as the 'pinnacle' of prestige in some cities, but in others a tier 1 suburban neighborhood might be seen as superior.

In the D.C. metro area I'd say that tier 1 urban neighborhoods like Georgetown and Palisades are seen as superior to tier 1 suburban neighborhoods, which however are usually seen as superior to tier 2 and below urban neighborhoods. However it bears pointing out that those tier 1 urban neighborhoods are by and large characterized by a quasi-suburban structure. (This is of course the 'dirty secret' of U.S. cities, a large majority of territory in most cities is dominated by residential and commercial development which would look entirely suitable for suburbia, I mean heck you go to Chicago and you're a dozen blocks out of the CBD and you may as well be on Long Island).

Now the new suburban areas are called "bedroom communites" because they are 99% housing and nothing else other than a few grocery stores and gas stations.

"Urban" is code for majority black.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:55 AM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I didn’t mention people in DC looking down on Fairfax. I mentioned Arlington, which is where I grew up lol. People like to scoff that it is suburbia where much of Arlington, at least when I grew up there, was kinda indistinguishable from parts of Fairfax county.

DC is now a pretty safe city that has gone through massive gentrification. Didn’t even bring up PG county, it seems the paranoia is strong with you.
Nah. I’m not paranoid. I was just trying to understand all this hate and looking down of NoVa being discussed. I didn’t realize you were only talking about Arlington. I don’t think Arlington gets anymore hate than Navy Yard or Georgetown but I’m going to take your word there are haters. I think my only point, everywhere gets hate so.

I personally have had real life encounters and commonly see tweets and whatever that are kind of out there about DC.

For example, the below is a very common:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
DC will never be "safe" until a wall is constructed around SE DC that keeps the criminals from wandering to other areas to pilage. The silver line of the metro brought those criminals to Tysons to prey on decent folk.
It’s the comment above that makes it feel hard to sympathize about Arlington being looked down on. The only hater comments I ever heard were mostly about “Clarendon Bro’s” in context of younger transplants getting nice high paying jobs, early 20’s, usually from smaller areas and now live in the big city type attitude and comments about Clarendon being a college dorm. xD That’s a heck of a lot nicer than wanting walls to keep out criminals from DC to prey on “decent folk”.

But I mean. I’m used to it so. I’m not that bothered. But it seems a bit privileged to complain about the hate when our mayor gets racial slurs weekly from Fox News and such vs Arlington apparently hate being “not as urban as DC” (that was the example used, right?).

(For the record, I’m all for being tough on crime, crime in DC needs to get under control etc. but I don’t think we need to resort to dehumanizing language and talking about an area of 100,000 people as animals who should be walled off so they don’t pillage decent folks and wander around. It makes it sound that entire area is full of people that are basically animals…. anyway.)

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 12-22-2023 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-22-2023, 12:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
Nah. I’m not paranoid. I was just trying to understand all this hate and looking down of NoVa being discussed. I didn’t realize you were only talking about Arlington. I don’t think Arlington gets anymore hate than Navy Yard or Georgetown but I’m going to take your word there are haters. I think my only point, everywhere gets hate so.

I personally have had real life encounters and commonly see tweets and whatever that are kind of out there about DC.
No surprise that you failed to read through my comment again. Maybe thoroughly reading a comment from a NOVA poster is beneath you.

I only mentioned people who I grew up with in Arlington looking down on places like Fairfax and surrounding counties calling them the boonies. I did have a DC native tell me that Arlington is the country, both are equally ridiculous comments imo.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:43 PM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
No surprise that you failed to read through my comment again. Maybe thoroughly reading a comment from a NOVA poster is beneath you.

I only mentioned people who I grew up with in Arlington looking down on places like Fairfax and surrounding counties calling them the boonies. I did have a DC native tell me that Arlington is the country, both are equally ridiculous comments imo.
Do you not see the other post? It’s pretty understandable I misread your post given other post.

I can’t keep up with who is looking down on who….

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 12-22-2023 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 05:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
"Urban" is code for majority black.
In the 90s it certainly was...not so much today in the era of rampant gentrification. Major cities all across America, including DC, have experienced an acceleration of the exodus of Black residents since the turn of the century.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:54 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:

Life has changed in DC since Marion Barry was mayor.

If soaring carjackings is paranoia, then call me paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia