Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 02:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
It's six miles away from DC - why is it a big deal?
Ask this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Classifying the area where this new stadium is being built as suburban is moronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 04:51 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
It's not six miles from D.C., it's a little over a mile from D.C. as the crow flies, less than 4 miles to the National Mall.

People can't really complain about the location too much given it's like right next to the airport which everyone in D.C. uses and can't stop praising for how convenient it is to get there from D.C.

I get the complaint more for people in MD for whom it adds 15 minutes to what may already be an hour-long trip.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:56 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Yea for real, it isn’t. I’ve noticed Arlingtonians and Alexandrians get real touchy if you don’t recognize their locales as being completely urban. A lot of them like to think this way so they can look down on the proles in Fairfax and further out.

There is no doubt that the current stadium location is definitely more urban in the built environment form than Potomac Yards.
No not really at all. I just think it is hilarious when people in DC act like it is some huge urban mecca and want to look down on Arlington and Alexandria like they are two hours outside of town. I say this as someone who has lived in DC proper and also NYC. It's quite comical. The reality is (and many DC residents will say this) Gallery Place/ Chinatown has become a dump. People can try to sugarcoat it all they want but the truth hurts. I also don't pretend i am in a huge urban environment nor do I look down on Fairfax and Loudoun.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-18-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-18-2023, 08:34 AM

110 posts, read 123,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
No not really at all. I just think it is hilarious when people in DC act like it is some huge urban mecca and want to look down on Arlington and Alexandria like they are two hours outside of town. I say this as someone who has lived in DC proper and also NYC. It's quite comical. The reality is (and many DC residents will say this) Gallery Place/ Chinatown has become a dump. People can try to sugarcoat it all they want but the truth hurts. I also don't pretend i am in a huge urban environment nor do I look down on Fairfax and Loudoun.
Exactly, DC is only 10-15% more dense than Arlington/Alexandria.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:10 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Georgetown and other universities can use the stadium even more once the pro teams vacate. Think of the good things here. More concerts for the young college kids too. Win win here.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:46 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Exactly, DC is only 10-15% more dense than Arlington/Alexandria.
Many residents of DC proper, in particular newer transplants, have this inferiority complex they project on Arlington, Alexandria and Bethesda because they have this incessant need to prove they live somewhere even remotely similar in urbanity to places like Chicago or NYC (of which DC is nowhere close). They love to talk about the benefits of 'urban living' compared to Northern Virginia or suburban Maryland from their homes in places like Kent or the Palisades or AU Park or Tenleytown or Barnaby Woods, etc. I've been here for almost 20 years now, lived in N. Arlington along with Glover Park and Bloomingdale and it has always cracked me up. The plans for Potomac Yard redevelopment look literally like those of Navy Yard or Poplar Point from five to ten years ago.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-18-2023 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-18-2023, 04:38 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
The NIMBYs came out in for e to prevent the Redskins from moving to the same site 30 years ago...would have only caused massive traffic 10 times per year, plus nonexistent home playoff games. Now that number will be 75+...lol. I went to see a fight, and a hockey game broke out...but at least the Caps' fans are well heeled.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Fortunately NoVA doesn't have any NIMBY's.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Bowser holds plenty of blame for the crime wave (it's so bad Fox 5 has brought back 'City Under Siege' specials to talk now about daily murders, carjackings, etc) but plenty more goes to the SJW members of the City Council. People such as Charles Allen who supported decriminalizing fare evasion on the Metro and seem to have no issue with people robbing stores blind along with letting hard core criminals back out on the streets...I am excited for Alexandria / NoVA in general with this. I know there is already NIMBY support lining up comparing this to the baseball and football stadium fights of the 90s- a lot has changed since then. Alexandria is screaming for additional revenue thanks to the exodus from the office and this area has already been approved for millions of square feet of development.
Very true.

Also, seeing people on here talking about DC and the crime (which is a REAL problem) makes me cringe because the lot seem to forget that without Washington, DC this entire state would be Alabama/Tennessee 2.0 so let's not conveniently forget that.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:50 AM

947 posts, read 1,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Fortunately NoVA doesn't have any NIMBY's.
Indeed! Just like Pittsburgh!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/...ups/?rdt=49455

https://pittsburgh.citycast.fm/podca...e-irish-centre

https://triblive.com/opinion/letter-...squirrel-hill/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia