Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 11:24 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
These confederate monuments are still currently in these places in MD? So Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties aren’t southern, but places in MD are southern? Are you confusing southern for rural?
To be fair, he probably shouldn't have referenced confederate monuments at all. I mean, in 2023, there are still confederate monuments in New York and DC, while there are now zero in Richmond. So, it's not the litmus test some people think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 04:29 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
“bless your heart” is an insult when addressed to an adult. A person might say “bless your heart” to a child for doing something childish and often nasty followed by instruction on how not to do the thing again, but when said to an adult it's showing contempt and that you are sneering at them.

There are Confederate monuments in Richmond, but the remaining ones are in graveyards like Hollywood Cemetery. The Monument to the Confederate War Dead (90' granite pyramid) will not be removed; in 2020 the Stars and Bars flag is no longer permitted to be displayed, if it is gravestones that is permitted, but not the flag by graves.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
“bless your heart” is an insult when addressed to an adult. A person might say “bless your heart” to a child for doing something childish and often nasty followed by instruction on how not to do the thing again, but when said to an adult it's showing contempt and that you are sneering at them.
That's not completely true; it can have several meanings depending on the situation. The phrase is often used to express genuine sympathy which is how my late great-aunt always used it. I had a co-worker several years ago in north Georgia use it that way as well one day when I lost my keys at work.

https://www.southernliving.com/cultu...20to%20modesty.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:34 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The phrase is often used to express genuine sympathy which is how my late great-aunt always used it. I had a co-worker several years ago in north Georgia use it that way as well one day when I lost my keys at work.

https://www.southernliving.com/cultu...20to%20modesty.
Are you suuuuuuure about that?

Old 12-14-2023, 01:25 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Most NoVA jurisdictions are 25-40% Latin & Asian, something you won't find in the Southeast outside of Gwinnett County near Atlanta, or the parts of Florida that are Northern in culture. The demographics change pretty quickly south of Stafford County and Fredericksburg. The heavy immigrant influence subsides sharply once you get to Spotsylvania and especially by Caroline County. A similar trend happens when you get to Clarke County and Culpeper County to the west and southwest, and they feel far more Southern. The joke about Virginia is you go from multicultural metro to rural backwoods in 20 minutes.

Arlington and Alexandria also have population densities you don't see elsewhere in the Southeast, even around Atlanta. Between Metro and VRE, the extent of rail commuting in NoVa way surpasses anything in the Southeast, and greatly exceed MARTA in Atlanta, which does less than 100k riders a day. VRE commuter rail alone does over 1 million pax/year, but other than a very small system in Nashville, there is no commuter rail anywhere in the Southeast.

Also sports fandom. Nashville, Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta are all big NASCAR and/or college sports towns. NoVA couldn't care less about NASCAR and is dominated by pro sports, like most Northern and Midwestern metros.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,126,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Most NoVA jurisdictions are 25-40% Latin & Asian, something you won't find in the Southeast outside of Gwinnett County near Atlanta, or the parts of Florida that are Northern in culture. The demographics change pretty quickly south of Stafford County and Fredericksburg. The heavy immigrant influence subsides sharply once you get to Spotsylvania and especially by Caroline County. A similar trend happens when you get to Clarke County and Culpeper County to the west and southwest, and they feel far more Southern. The joke about Virginia is you go from multicultural metro to rural backwoods in 20 minutes.

Arlington and Alexandria also have population densities you don't see elsewhere in the Southeast, even around Atlanta. Between Metro and VRE, the extent of rail commuting in NoVa way surpasses anything in the Southeast, and greatly exceed MARTA in Atlanta, which does less than 100k riders a day. VRE commuter rail alone does over 1 million pax/year, but other than a very small system in Nashville, there is no commuter rail anywhere in the Southeast.

Also sports fandom. Nashville, Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta are all big NASCAR and/or college sports towns. NoVA couldn't care less about NASCAR and is dominated by pro sports, like most Northern and Midwestern metros.
20 minutes may only get you 5 miles around here so the joke is on us

Old 12-14-2023, 07:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Quote:

I’ve never heard this before. I figured this would apply to many other places besides Virginia, especially when talking about Northern Virginia, which is known for its sprawl and traffic choked roads. I would say Northern Virginia is unique in the fact that this is one of the few metro areas in the country that this doesn’t apply lol.

The areas you mentioned, like Caroline county and Culpeper county, they feel more rural, not really southern. I can go out to Frederick county, MD and get a similar rural feeling, but I wouldn’t categorize it as southern.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Are you suuuuuuure about that?
Yes, absolutely.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
.Also sports fandom. Nashville, Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta are all big NASCAR and/or college sports towns. NoVA couldn't care less about NASCAR and is dominated by pro sports, like most Northern and Midwestern metros.
Nashville and Atlanta are easily more pro sports-dominated and Charlotte is at least just as pro-sports dominated. And there are tons of non-Southern metros where college sports, particularly football and basketball, are popular. As of now, no pro-sports teams are even based in NoVA (which I'm aware is subject to change in a few years if all goes according to plan). I've never really gotten the sense that NoVA was a sports-crazed area myself. I'd suspect the Nationals and Capitals probably get more support from NoVA residents than the Wizards and Commanders.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nashville and Atlanta are easily more pro sports-dominated and Charlotte is at least just as pro-sports dominated. And there are tons of non-Southern metros where college sports, particularly football and basketball, are popular. As of now, no pro-sports teams are even based in NoVA (which I'm aware is subject to change in a few years if all goes according to plan). I've never really gotten the sense that NoVA was a sports-crazed area myself. I'd suspect the Nationals and Capitals probably get more support from NoVA residents than the Wizards and Commanders.
I would say a lot of NoVA residents support the Commanders, I don’t hear too much buzz about the Wizards around here. Isn’t this a reason that the Commanders have been eyeing a move to NoVA for some time? I think the majority of their fan base in the DMV is probably in NoVA. MD is split between Commanders and Ravens, and tbh I can see why Marylanders would opt to support the Ravens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia