Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 09:52 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
McCandless was crossing Reston Parkway at Market Street around 7 a.m. when he was hit, police said. He was in the crosswalk but did not have the walk signal.
Not sure more needs to be done. While unfortunate that someone died, it is imperative that people follow the laws and only cross when the signal says to.

I live in a very small town with one stop light, but an additional 6 intersections with marked crosswalks. Because the speed limit is 25, many people just feel it is perfectly in their right just to cross the street anywhere they want, despite a crosswalk 25 feet away. While I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt (or certainly not die), I don't think I will have much sympathy when it happens.

And it angers me even more when people are doing it with their children. Do you not realize that you are teaching your children that walking out into the street whenever and wherever you want is appropriate? It certainly is not, and cars will not always be able to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 10:11 AM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not sure more needs to be done. While unfortunate that someone died, it is imperative that people follow the laws and only cross when the signal says to.

I live in a very small town with one stop light, but an additional 6 intersections with marked crosswalks. Because the speed limit is 25, many people just feel it is perfectly in their right just to cross the street anywhere they want, despite a crosswalk 25 feet away. While I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt (or certainly not die), I don't think I will have much sympathy when it happens.

And it angers me even more when people are doing it with their children. Do you not realize that you are teaching your children that walking out into the street whenever and wherever you want is appropriate? It certainly is not, and cars will not always be able to stop.

True. Though Market & Reston Parkway does have a cross walk. Still a little sketch to utilize but people can always just walk up towards Bowman Towne Dr where the crosswalk goes under the parkway.

Not to say some lives matter more than others, but given his prominence and role in the development of the town center, being head of PR for it among quite the resume built on Reston, it makes it harder to ignore that safety needs to improve in general in the area.

I think the most obvious improvement for safety that everyone should be able to agree with, including drivers, stop signs or traffic lights on Bluemont Way. That’s probably the easier, cheaper and sufficient amount of safety enhancements.

Unlikely, more expensive and not nearly as significant as stop signs on Bluemont would have been if the Metro pedestrian bridge had also went over Sunset but. It’s still not too terrible to cross the road otherwise.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:35 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Why do you think the crosswalk at Market and Reston Parkway is "a little sketch to utilize"? If one crosses when the "walk" sign is lit, there shouldn't be a problem.

Using the tunnel that goes under Reston Parkway near Bowman Town Drive is fine. I find going that way means a less hilly walk. However, I would never use that tunnel after dark as it can be unsafe.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:01 AM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why do you think the crosswalk at Market and Reston Parkway is "a little sketch to utilize"? If one crosses when the "walk" sign is lit, there shouldn't be a problem.

Using the tunnel that goes under Reston Parkway near Bowman Town Drive is fine. I find going that way means a less hilly walk. However, I would never use that tunnel after dark as it can be unsafe.

Drivers that are turning.

It’s always dangerous when vehicles are turning at intersections for pedestrians but when you combine a road like Reston Parkway and the volume and speed of traffic and how few pedestrians there are, it can be fairly risky as a pedestrian (anywhere, even on slow urban streets. Though having pedestrian lights then walk a few seconds before the vehicle light turns green has been genius).

For example, I’m likely to pay attention to other vehicle. In this area of Reston in general, right turns in general can create some close encounters. For example once at Town Center Parkway & Bluemont, I almost got hit by a car that slammed on its brakes when it was whipping in right on a green light. I also had the same experience on Sunset by the Reston Parkway and the opposite end of Sunset towards the development that includes the Fannie office (construction has shut down that sidewalk and so you have to cross the intersection which is sort of scary)

And beyond safety, more infrastructure improvements in general could help reduce tensions. Crossing Bluemont (yes, that street f-ing sucks lol), there’s one portion with an island and a Yield to pedestrian flashing lights sign. Myself and an older woman working out were crossing (fast. I have a long commute to DC, she is exercising) and the driver furiously honked which was so bizarre because by the time they were approaching we were almost across the street. That older woman was an MVP for yelling at him lol. And everywhere drivers can get annoyed with pedestrians crossings when they want to turn right. I’ve obviously found routes that I felt most comfortable and safe but it’s not intuitive from the maps and it’s through the construction zone not well marked so. It wasn’t the first route I tried.

So just more stop signs, more pedestrian islands, maybe bigger crosswalks. One Reston Gateway or whatever the name of the development is finishes, a few more stop signs. It’ll be way better.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
At least cars coming out of Market and on to Reston Pkwy can only make a right turn. I've never had a problem crossing there. Bluemont---yeah, if you're not at a traffic light, it gets tricky. I've only had to cross it once a few years back when I needed to go to the Metro office that was (still is?) there. It was a matter of making sure no cars were coming in either direction and crossing quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia