Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 08:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I was talking to my neighbor the other day and he mentioned getting a electric hot water replaced last year for 3k.

I agree prices are definitely higher. I'm having a French door replaced the first quote can't in at 8500. It was a smaller company that I thought I'd try out since they've done good work in the past. Instead I'm getting it done through Lowes for 2700. Still more than the 1400 I paid 15 years ago, but it needs replacement and i don't want the wood floors damaged if I let it go longer
I had the misfortune of having to replace my water heater today. 50G electric for just under $2500, 6yr warranty. Since I had an active leak, I didn't have the luxury of getting multiple quotes. One cold shower was enough and the first company who could show up, won the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 05:15 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
It's difficult to wrap one's head around the cost, but it seems to be the new norm. When I had one installed in 2016, it took the person who delivered it, the installer and his helper. I needed new connections due to its size (more insulation), a new pan. In VA, the replacement of a gas hot water heater requires by Code a permit which cost $60+ and they most likely add overhead to that. In my county, a commercial business is charged $100 minimum to dispose of an item in the county dump up to the first $5,000, then an additional charge for each $1,000 or fraction thereof. (Don't know how they dispose of these things, perhaps for free with a recycling company??)

Old 11-02-2023, 07:57 AM

Mine probably cost a little more because even though I replaced it with the same 50g capacity, the physical size was larger. According to the plumber it's better insulated compared to my older unit, which probably accounts for the lower operating estimate cost on the stickers. Also an expansion tank is now required by code so the lines had to be routed differently.

**I forgot to mention that while the plumber was there I also had a leaky shutoff valve replaced so that added to the cost. They invoice didn't separate things out so everything was just under $2500.

Regardless of the cost, I enjoyed my hot shower this morning...

Old 11-03-2023, 12:15 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Mine probably cost a little more because even though I replaced it with the same 50g capacity, the physical size was larger. According to the plumber it's better insulated compared to my older unit, which probably accounts for the lower operating estimate cost on the stickers. Also an expansion tank is now required by code so the lines had to be routed differently.

**I forgot to mention that while the plumber was there I also had a leaky shutoff valve replaced so that added to the cost. They invoice didn't separate things out so everything was just under $2500.

Regardless of the cost, I enjoyed my hot shower this morning...
I paid 4000 for a Panasonic tankless made in Malaysia in 2018. 4000 Thai Baht or about 115 USD. Had a spare slot in my consumer panel and put a 30 amp breaker in with three meters of 2x2.5 mm and 1x1.5mm
copper wire.

Unfortunately, home repair in NoVa is about as predatory as it gets.

Old 11-03-2023, 03:47 AM

Labor prices are linked to the cost of living off the area so that makes sense it would cost less in Malaysia.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:53 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Labor prices are linked to the cost of living off the area so that makes sense it would cost less in Malaysia.
Wasn't in Malaysia....that is where it was made. I had at least 100 choices..all made in the same places most electronics are made. ..Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam..possibly Mexico.

Here is one at Home Depot..likely made in Thailand.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stiebel-...Plus/306745514

Old 01-04-2024, 08:32 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,879 times
Refreshing this thread just for people to consider in the future. At our previous house, we bought our water heater (and expansion tank) from a plumbing supply store and paid the plumber for installation/removal. We avoided the mark up and limited options offered by a particular plumber and thereby saved a few hundred dollars.

As a side note, when doing this, we also discovered that just a handful of manufacturers makes a ton of brands, and so claims that American was better than AO Smith or State was ridiculous, since they all came from the same plants with just different name plates. Yes, there was a difference between AO Smith, Bradford White, and Rheem families, but not within the offerings within each family of water heaters.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:14 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
I replaced my water heater with a tankless gas heater in 2019. Forget what, exactly I paid, and am not motivated enough to unbox financial records and dig through them. Ultimately, I found the whole thing a wash, costwise.

Using a tankless heater, I now must run a lot of water before the flow from the faucet or shower heat heats up to minimum levels. Considering my local water provider charges, that add$$$$ up quickly. I now use a bucket to catch the initial cold water flow and use that to water my garden or help with other household chores such as washing floors. But, I admit that is inconvenient and labor intensive as I lug buckets of water around my house and garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: