Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM

28 posts, read 75,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
If you are moving from an area where the avg 3000 sqft house cost $300k and it's less than 10 years old, YOU WILL NOT FIND COMPARABLE housing here. sorry that's just the facts.

YOU have to give up something. smaller older house close to work. Or the new sububria planned community with at least 60-90 from work. TH instead of SFH. condo instead of TH etc... small yard instead of 1/2 acre etc... think 500k instead of 300k

The avg commute for anyone living OUTSIDE the 495 loop is going to be at 60min. A good rule of thumb is to double your mileage...if you live 30miles from work it will be a minium of 60min on a good day.

If you are working in DC.... a 30 minute commute can only be found in your close in metro areas (Arlington etc...) or right in DC itself. Even if you live at the Ballston corridor 30min door to desk is hard... it will be more like 45min.

THE commute will be a hardship.... if this is a temp move ie govt etc... and you know it's only two years then a 90min isn't that bad. You know it's not forever. If you are here for the long haul 90+ will wear you down. For the stay at home mom with little ones... you will be a single parent 90% of the time. MY husband leaves at 6am and gets home at 7-7:30pm.

90% of the schools are good. 80% of the schools are EXCELLENT.

80% of the areas have low crime. 15% have moderate crime and 5% have heavy crime.

Housing is EXPENSIVE...affordable is a realitive term here...affordable by NOVA standards is not "affordable" in 75% of the country. If you want a non fix-up house for $400k look in Loudoun and Prince William counties. The are more affordable because they are futher away.

There is NO hidden gem in Fairfax county where sfh houses are 300k (and newer)and schools are excellent and crime is low. sorry.

I95 is a nightmare. rt50 is bad and rt66 is bad. rt 66 is HOV only inside 495 during rush hours.

Road improvements etc...take time and make bad traffic worse in the mean time.

Yes, someday if all the stars align the metro will service Loudoun county and we will all rejoice!

I hope I did this right! Hey 5stones! We are getting ready to move to NOVO. My husband has worked for a co. based there, from other states. The moving there was in discussions for the last couple of years, but it is actually going to happen now. Big difference from Dallas! Anyway, two years ago, I was thinking, holy shemoley, how in the heck do these people buy and afford a house like mine, priced at about $90 per sq., at 200-300 per sq. I told my husband, figure out a way to get out of this please! It has changed so much though. I hate that the housing market is in such a schlump everywhere, but the housing there has changed dramatically. I was looking at the internet at houses. Some places apparently are going to ignore it, 'Hey Ashburn!'. For instance, in Chantilly, South Riding. Two years ago, my husband looked at this Toll Brothers house. Two story model, decked out. This house was sweet. It had murals, the basement had a soccer set up complete with astro turf. You could have that house built, without the designer touch, and it was high. That model just went on the market recently for $599,999. $138 per square foot in Chantilly. That is a huge difference. I am sorry for people stuck in this market. I m however so relieved that we might be able to get into a decent house and not be housepoor. Be happy. The Redskins are kicking butt today. Playing us, Dallas. We are getting geared up to root for the home team. Go Redskins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 PM

25 posts, read 167,369 times
Default Which is better?

I'm moving to NOVA in the next few months, and I'm trying to decide where to live. I'll be taking the Metro to my job each day, so I'd prefer to live near the farthest-out Metro stop. Looking on the map, I see those are 1. Fairfax/Vienna and 2. Franconia/Springfield.

I want to live within a 10 minute drive of one of the two Metro stops. Can anyone recommend one area over the other?

It looks like the housing prices are better within 10 minutes of Franconia/Springfield, and it looks like the demographics are good for both the Fairfax/Vienna and Franc/Spring areas.

A 1950's house is fine. No frills is fine. A small to moderate amount of renovating is fine. We just want to be in a safe, quiet neighborhood close to one of those 2 Metro stops. No townhomes/condos.

Which is the better area? Thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 36,921 times
Im considering moving to Charlottesville, VA. Im not real familiar with it and am trying to find out things like housing, apts, jobs, local newspapers. Ive found the govt facts and fell in love with the small city. Im a registered dental assistant and do plan to continue my education and become a dentist. I havent found any job postings whatsoever and of course we all have to work. If anyone has any kind of information please contact me at [EMAIL="curcilla99@yahoo.com"]curcilla99@yahoo.com[/EMAIL].

Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM

87 posts, read 126,516 times
Default Slugging only if you live far out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
When picking a place to live, closer is not always necessarily better. If you drive to work, you might be better off farther away but against rush hour traffic. If you work in DC, besides metro, also look into van/car pool or slugging.

...slug??!
Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC
Slug Lines (http://www.commuterpage.com/slug.htm - broken link)
"Slugging" means sharing the ride so that you can get 3 persons in a car. That allows you to drive on the express lane. Slugging doesn't really apply unless you live in Prince William County or further out (south). My recommendation: get a place that is near a Metro station (Van Dorn, Springfield, etc.)

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 57,300 times
Default Idlewild HOA's

How do I get a copy of the HOA rules of the Idlewild community in Fredericksburg, VA? We are closing on a house there and still have yet to receive them, is there a place I can pick them up at or view them?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcountrygal View Post
How do I get a copy of the HOA rules of the Idlewild community in Fredericksburg, VA? We are closing on a house there and still have yet to receive them, is there a place I can pick them up at or view them?
You should have received them from the listing agent a long time ago. Have your agent call the listing agent to see what the holdup is. Remember that once you get them, you have three days to review them and decide and whether or not you want to back out of the contract.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 57,300 times
Thanks David, I didn't think that it was right that we had not gotten it yet, so our agent called the listing agent again and now they said they are sending it, thanks for the information you supplied.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,787 times
Glad to help!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 26,511 times
"No, our traffic really isn't that bad. If you disagree, I suggest you move to Philly or LA."

As a Philadelphian, please allow me to say "AMEN" to that! I don't drive but have to avoid crappy drivers every day whenever I try to cross the street!

Last edited by mapkwest; 01-11-2008 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,718 times
-Housing to own starts around 275k-300k with relatively crappy condos. No, we do not have 3 bedroom single family homes under 400k that are in liveable conditions.

That isn't true now. Prices have fallen ddramatically since this statement was written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia