Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 06:53 PM

942 posts, read 563,275 times

Advertisements

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
If the phone rings without a text I will assume it is an emergency and always answer.
That's weird.

Most people can pick up a phone and have a conversation without thinking twice about it. What makes you so special that you can flout basic social etiquette?

Old 03-30-2024, 08:38 PM

966 posts, read 517,163 times
When you see that it's her number that's calling, just don't answer the phone. If you need to text her to let her know that all your'e going to answer is texts, that's the end of your problem.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Kimmie, you need to have a "come to Jesus" conversation with her. She knows what you've asked, and she knows your limitations.

She's testing your love, and attention to her, vs. her brother who is still at home, and still getting your full attention.

It's time for her to step back and give you some space to prioritize yourself, and also parent your son who is still at home.

Maybe you could schedule a weekly half hour conversation with her, that you promise you'll be available to her.

OR, better answer, if it's an actual "emergency" after hours, she can call her father/your husband. So you're not on the hook to answer, and if it's not an actual emergency, she'll deal with it.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:12 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
It used to be normal to just call people. Texting has made people more connected all the time, yet less able to talk. I would try to change YOUR response to phone calls, not her desire to talk with you, unless you're actually in a restaurant or concert or something and can't take the call. Then you text and say "sorry - in an appt, will call back later"

That's my two cents. Phones used to just ring and we didn't know who it was. Remember that?

Old 03-30-2024, 09:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It used to be normal to just call people. Texting has made people more connected all the time, yet less able to talk. I would try to change YOUR response to phone calls, not her desire to talk with you, unless you're actually in a restaurant or concert or something and can't take the call. Then you text and say "sorry - in an appt, will call back later"

That's my two cents. Phones used to just ring and we didn't know who it was. Remember that?
I certainly remember when it was normal to "just call people" and they would pick up. On the other hand, if your phone rang at 11 pm, as this OPs phone did, it was an emergency. Or a prank call.

No one just called to chat at 11 pm.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:48 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I certainly remember when it was normal to "just call people" and they would pick up. On the other hand, if your phone rang at 11 pm, as this OPs phone did, it was an emergency. Or a prank call.

No one just called to chat at 11 pm.

True enough. No chit chat calls after ______ pm is a fairer rule than "don't ever call unless you text first" which seems a bit too distant for family, IMHO.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:00 AM

30,139 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Personally, I like the text before phone call. I have a friend who always does this and I have started to do it also with other people. I feel it gives the person receiving the call the chance to either text me it's a good time, or text me it's not. Saves on voicemails which some people don't even listen to.

Texting or calling after 9pm is a no-go for me. My phone is on silent and I don't answer because I'm in bed asleep. People who know me don't call late anyway.

Like other people posted--stop answering your phone! It's the only way your daughter will learn.
This woman I am seeing now does a voice text with people she knows. I don't mean voice mail or voice to text. She simply records a small message and texts it to me which I can listen to when I have time. Which includes while I am driving since I don't need to look at my phone.

Other people that I know text 99% of the time to me. If someone wants to call me they text first to see if its a good time to take their call. I think its a respectful thing to do and do the same for them. This is not 1979. Back then you could only call someone. To feel like people should still just do things that way because that is how it used to be done is stubborn and selfish.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:49 AM

17,284 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would first try to figure out why you have that response to phone calls.

Also, is it only your daughter that needs to text you before she calls, or does everyone need to do that?
or...............DONT ANSWER!

Old 03-31-2024, 07:08 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
While I understand the concern that any of these calls may be an emergency I think for the short term you simply have to stop answering the calls. After a few times the daughter may get the message, especially if you explain it to her again in a text. You are right, you need to take care of yourself first. If the daughter refuses to respect your situation after you have explained it and continues to call, and gets upset when you do not want to talk late at night, she is being selfish and immature. Set her straight.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:24 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
I always text my kids prior to a call. It gives them the power to set a preferred time.

It's highly presumptuous to think that you should be allowed to interrupt them at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships