Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You could hire a bouncer. (I'm serious.) Or you could talk to the director of the funeral home and ask for suggestions. Surely they have seen it all when it comes to these things.
Post of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 09:38 PM

118 posts, read 38,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Calvin, do you have control issues? Is there some reason you don't think your mother is going to be in charge of funeral arrangements for your father? What about if your Mother gets hit by a falling anvil and dies before your father - how are you planning for that?
No, no control issues. My father has already stated (in writing and notarized) how he wants the arrangements. My mother, sister and I don't want these two people there.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:42 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't agree with your sister. The parent should be there with the child when the other parent dies.

Now the new spouse who the parent cheated with should not be there at the ex's funeral. I almost asked her to leave, but the grandchild was around.
They were not nice people. The son was so nasty to my sister that his father told him he was not welcome in their home. He hadn't spoken to his dad in several years. The daughter kept in touch and got along with them and brought her little girl over.

A 40 year old man does not need his mommy to come and make things difficult for a woman who has just unexpectedly lost her husband. The son did not call his dad when he was diagnosed with bladder cancer but showed up at the hospital when his sister told them that their father had collapsed and been taken to the hospital. My sister is watching them trying to resuscitate her husband and the son is screaming at her for not calling him sooner, as if she was supposed to know he was going to go into cardiac arrest.

I met this guy once, at his grandfather's wake, and he was rude and nasty to ME.

My BIL's ex-wife is a lawyer who kept making things difficult for her ex financially years after she divorced him and their children were adults. She can support her kids emotionally on her own time, not show up at a funeral to make a scene and cause drama for the person who actually loved the deceased.

Anyway, the point was that the funeral home will honor the wishes of next of kin (or maybe whoever is paying the bill) and keep out undesirables.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-19-2024 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-19-2024, 09:46 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
You could hire a bouncer. (I'm serious.) Or you could talk to the director of the funeral home and ask for suggestions. Surely they have seen it all when it comes to these things.
They have! A coworker worked at a funeral home while he was in college. He was a greeter or whatever you call the people who meet you at the door. He saw physical fights break out, women throwing themselves into caskets. Good stories.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:25 AM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
I agree with threestep that this is the post of the day. Perfect solution to this possible problem.

In that situation I would be looking to do the same thing, making sure losers like the ones mentioned are not there. They are not honoring your father, they are actually disrespecting him on a sad day that is meant to say goodbye.

I'm a little more of a confrontation type of guy and would tell them if they show up I'll personally introduce them to the pavement. I've not been known to be subtle when my families honor is at stake. But you don't need that kind of distraction at that time, your thoughts should be with your father, your grieving mother, and your family.

Also Calvin I'm sure you do understand that when you bring a subject to a public forum you'll get a slew of different responses, so I hope you don't take offense to the ones that aren't positive.

Get a bouncer or two and let them handle this for you. It's the easiest way to deal with the uninvited. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:44 AM

118 posts, read 38,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Mod snip.

Just hold the reception, pay respects to your loved one, TRY not to be hateful and bitter, and mind your own business.

This too shall pass.
I'm not the forgiving type with certain things.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-20-2024 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
You could hire a bouncer.

Indeed. I was the bouncer at my daughter's wedding. She didn't want her aunt there who had not been invited but had told family members she was going to show up. (She didn't.)

Old 03-20-2024, 09:04 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
I don't think it is my place to police who comes or doesn't come to someone's funeral. However, I don't have to make it my job to make sure they are formally informed/invited, either.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
It seems like at every funeral there is someone that everyone is hoping doesn't come. We've never had an open sit down reception after a funeral. We usually go back to the house with the rest of the immediate family. I think once we all went to our favorite pizza restaurant. I just wouldn't share what the plans are afterwards.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We've never had an open sit down reception after a funeral.

I'd never experienced it til I married my husband, who is Baptist. If the deceased is a member of the church, they will always host a big buffet meal afterwards in the fellowship hall, for family and friends specified by the core family of the deceased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships