Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2006, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,318 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea if there is alot of employment near here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 141,184 times
Unfortunately, there's very little good employment anywhere outside the larger mteropolitan centers.

Corning is most commonly known for the Corning Glassworks. Unless you're a glassblower or in Education, there's not much there employmentwise.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 15,644 times
Default Employment in Corning / Painted Post

Corning Inc . is the areas largest employer . There is also Dresser Rand . A good job site is Removed . There is a mall 20 miles away from Painted Post , winieries that look for seasonal help , 2 Wal Marts , A Target that is opening . It depends on what you do and are looking for . There are many hospitals and nursing homes as well .

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2006 at 01:09 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,998 times
Default Just moved in

i just moved down to live with my father and im begining to dislike this town; its not that the people are bad i havn't met anyone i don't like its just i can't find any inbetween jobs, everything is either to low or to high. i find that im to intelligent to work a low end job it irritates me to much i need to use my mind, but my work history is so weak i have nothing to offer other then my ability to adapt fast... my dads and engineer so hes doing fine but thats not going to help me much other then he wants to help me go to college. i guess i just wish i could get a break and im whining about things i can't change instantly though i feel intitled to jobs i can't really prove im qualifyed for since all my experience is personal and not on the job well i've talked enough trash i still think this place is beautiful and i love watching the snow fall. i hope nobody reads this and thinks any less of the area, i've just not done much with my life and dont have my nitch.

bye

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 11,706 times
Thumbs up moving to painted post

my husband and I are planning to move to painted post this spring
can anyone share info about the area. we are in our early 50's
what is there to see and do
thank you for any info you can give me

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i'm originally from this area and have lots of friends & family there

it's not a bad little community - as with most of the area though, jobs are a concern

it's mainly retail/service based along with the jobs you need in every community (police, education, healthcare, post office, etc)

not sure what your line of work is, but Corning, Inc. is way more than glassblowing - they'll have all your typical corporate jobs, plus a lot of engineers, etc ......... they are more high tech and fiber optic based now with a focus on communications - not just dishes

there is factory work around as well (such as polly-o, mercury aircraft, phillips, etc)

the tough part, as stated above, is finding that middle ground ...... you can get work as an accountant for a small business, insurance agent, banker, etc - however the scope of this professional work is very slim

there is some gov't work as well in the area between both chemung and steuben counties if you don't mind to drive

Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 31,118 times
Default No Work

My husband and I moved here (Corning) last Fall. He was able to find a job but it pays next to nothing. I still can't find one. I have my name in everywhere and have gone on many interviews, but nothing.

We can't find a nice (clean) apartment that we can afford.

There seem to be a ton of smokers in this town. That drives me crazy.

The YMCA is great! We go there all the time. The glass museum is fantastic but I haven't been able to find work there.

People are friendly.

Market Street is great. The library has a lot going on. The parks are nice.

Average small town I think.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,706 times
I will be transferring on my job so that is not a problem. We just want to know what there is to do in the area. Thank you again

Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 18,571 times
volunteer if you can with the Tourism info booth on market st, centerway square. You can also volunteer at the LPGA in May and the Ferrari show in Aug. Corning, being small, you will meet people by volunteering - then network through there. Very hard to breakthough in such a close knit town - so start with making relationships that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York