Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:10 AM

430 posts, read 290,673 times

Advertisements

New York State is making colleges tuition-free for middle class, poor

Someone tell me, WHO? Is paying for all this? If it's getting added on as another tax, then I see a mass Exodus from NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
New York State is making colleges tuition-free for middle class, poor

Someone tell me, WHO? Is paying for all this? If it's getting added on as another tax, then I see a mass Exodus from NY.
The mass exodus is going to get even massier?!?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
I see this negatively affecting the middle class in upstate New York who don't make a ton of money but will be left with the tax burden.
Also will tax payers have to pay for gender studies majors and other useless majors?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
I can't disagree with anyone here. I think this is a bad idea. Like someone mentioned, I don't want to pay for some whiny 18 year old blue-haired feminist to be a Womyn's studies major. Also, I had tens of thousands in college loans, will someone pay me back that money so I get a fair shot? And is it really fair for the guy who learned how to work on cars and got a job to pay a tax to support college kids? Everyone should have a part in paying taxes, and paying their own way.

Go to 2 year community college and then a 4 year state school. Its not impossible to do this, work at the same time, and come out with minimal or no loans. If the govt wants to force these schools to focus on STEM and less money on Gender Studies, I'm fine with that. Dropping the tuition should be the focus.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:09 PM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I see this negatively affecting the middle class in upstate New York who don't make a ton of money but will be left with the tax burden.
Also will tax payers have to pay for gender studies majors and other useless majors?
Or the those that make above the $100,000 initially and later $125,000.

Room and board is not covered and students would have to have a certain class load and grade point average to maintain it.

Personally, if counties could consolidate their school districts, I think having a Middle Early College option statewide would be the way to go. Buffalo and Rochester already have schools with this option for students that may be struggling, but may have an interest in certain trade/skill and academic programs. What happens is that the student goes to community college in essence, while attending high school. So, when they graduate, they not only have a diploma, but an associate's degree in a line of study. From there, they could go on to a 4 year college for 2 more years. It is almost similar to a student that take AP/IB courses and already has a certain number of college credits before they even attend college.

For those not familiar with the Early Middle College program, here is some information about the Buffalo program: Middle College

In conjunction with that, I would love to see every county have at least 1 community college/2 year institution, which is something you would need in order for the Early Middle College option to work properly statewide.

Also, it would be interesting to see what private colleges and universities think of this move, as that may be a relatively bigger exodus in terms of students from those schools.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 PM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Room and board is not covered and students would have to have a certain class load and grade point average to maintain it.

Personally, if counties could consolidate their school districts, I think having a Middle Early College option statewide would be the way to go. Buffalo and Rochester already have schools with this option for students that may be struggling, but may have an interest in certain trade/skill and academic programs. What happens is that the student goes to community college in essence, while attending high school. So, when they graduate, they not only have a diploma, but an associate's degree in a line of study. From there, they could go on to a 4 year college for 2 more years. It is almost similar to a student that take AP/IB courses and already has a certain number of college credits before they even attend college.

For those not familiar with the Early Middle College program, here is some information about the Buffalo program: Middle College

In conjunction with that, I would love to see every county have at least 1 community college/2 year institution, which is something you would need in order for the Early Middle College option to work properly statewide.

Also, it would be interesting to see what private colleges and universities think of this move, as that may be a relatively bigger exodus in terms of students from those schools.
There's a middle college option in Wisconsin and it's what my brother went through and got free college credit, paid for by the high school. It's only for kids in economically unstable homes or who have a learning disability but it's a great program. For our are area there was only manufacturing available but I went to his graduation and other schools offered a cullinary, and a nursing program.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:48 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Exactly my thought, ckh. This could affect the city of Syracuse in a big way. Who would attend Syracuse if a SUNY school is free? I just think this is an all around bad idea. Just make college affordable again.

The other aspect if this catches on nationwide, is that a Bachelors degree will be nothing special. Same as a high school degree is now. So, you will need a Masters to really stand above the rest. At a time when the country is moving toward less liberal arts and more hands-on work experience. It makes no sense.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM

430 posts, read 290,673 times
I believe that since we're having a shortage of people qualified in the trades, there should be free classes in order to make those paths desirable.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
There's a middle college option in Wisconsin and it's what my brother went through and got free college credit, paid for by the high school. It's only for kids in economically unstable homes or who have a learning disability but it's a great program. For our are area there was only manufacturing available but I went to his graduation and other schools offered a cullinary, and a nursing program.
I think it would be a great idea for students that are in those kinds of situations and to be honest, even those in stable situations could benefit from such an academic option.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
If this program were in place 20 years ago, I might have ended up staying in state. Key element is requiring students to stay in NYS upon graduation.

This can help stem off some of the brain drain and provide regional employers more hope of an educated workforce that can fit their needs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York