Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM

67 posts, read 353,101 times

Advertisements

Hello - Does anybody know if the immediate area around Edgar Allan Poe Park is safe? The place looks nice in the day time, and very diverse. We have looked around the Bronx and it seems like this place is reasonable in value and convienent place to live.

Kingsbridge Heights (too pricey for our budget), Bedford Park (some blocks looks sketchy especially with the old run-down houses), and Van Cortland (too far from the trains).

I don't know what exactly this area is since it's between the D trains of Fordham and Kingsbridge. I really like the small Asian markets on Valentine Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Its not a bad neighborhood per se, but I think there are a lot of better neighborhoods in the Bronx.

Wouldn't that neighborhood just be called the "Fordham," neighborhood?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
We live close to Mosholu Parkway but go down by Poe Park to the main Bronx public library. It's a very busy and dense area, which probably makes it safer. I've never felt in danger, but I don't know what its like at night though.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
I'm not really familiar with Poe Park and that area, but I can tell you since I live in Fordham that it is pretty safe at least near the train lines and near Fordham Road. But the side streets are shady and I avoid them.

I lucked out, I found a nice quiet building with cheap rent, right off Fordham Road and right near the trains.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the input. Fordham Road is only a block away.The neighbors said it's a quiet building and block. They also mentioned that this area is Fordham. Even Kingsbridge Road by the D train is Fordham.

I'm actually going tommorrow to sign the lease. We went back to the place last night to talk to the super about the renovations. I'm getting used to the area. It's so convenient.

I looked at other nice areas, like Pelham Bay & Pelham Parkway. But we figured we rather buy in that area one day than rent. They charge too much.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,185 times
Default Fordham

I believe that the Bronx is on its way back.........a far cry from the 70's with burned out buildings, drugs, trash........what I see now is buildings that are actually clean, mostly condo or co-ops. Lived on Sedgwick Ave. for awhile
in the Almalgamated buidings, maintence there is way up and I love DaBronx
I was born there and wish I could return.........maybe someday!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,053 times
I grew up in a building across the street from Poe Park on East Kingsbridge Rd. My folks moved out in 1977 after our apartment was burglarized a couple of times and there was a homicide in the building next to ours. It only got worse from there. I have had the opportunity to return several times over the years, as recently as last spring and it was still a sh**hole. I hope it does make a comeback, many of those buildings, particularly on the Grand Concourse, were really beautiful. The architecture was amazing with vaulted ceilings and intricate moulding throughout. The park was a little oasis, and as kids we were a little spooked by the Edgar Allen Poe thing. Saint James Park on Jerome Ave was another nice retreat for us.

I wish you the best of luck in your new apartment... be careful if you wonder down the hill to Bainbridge & Briggs, there used to be some really bad dudes hanging back there.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 35,831 times
This is not one of the safest areas in the bronx. The neighborhoods are marginal. Riverdale or Throggs Nexk would be safer Bronx neighborhoods. Inwood at the northern tip of Manhattan is also niced than there.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
I dunno about Inwood being nicer than Fordham. They are equally dangerous in my opinion, but I think Fordham is a better neighborhood overall. For one Fordham Road beats Dyckman easily shopping wise. I think Inwood is more boring too, some nice parks up there though.

People still paint the bronx with a very broad bush. You have to actually live in these neighborhoods and get a feel for them. Some areas are good, some are bad, some are vastly improving. I remember being in Fordham a few times when I was younger, being here now I can definitely tell you it is definitely improving. Plus the draw is the cheaper rent.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-26-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 AM

I lived in Inwood for two years. I didn't have a great landlord and the apartment was infested with roaches. After our lease was up, they were converting the apts into co-ops. They were asking for too much and that's why we moved.

It's getting better. I would say it's convienient if you're trying to live close to work. However, they need to renovate their buildings for all the money their getting.

I used to take A train all the way downtown. But I see lots of changes around Broadway & Dyckman (new stores/restaurants) which makes it more safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City