Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

5,851 posts, read 2,970,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Most mornings or evenings I do take a walk outside, but I just haven't walked on the Boardwalk lately.
You in rockaway? If yes, extra points to you pal.

I used to go there on weekends, early mornings. Rockaway to me has a very NYC vibe to it. It’s gritty, it’s far from great, it’s far from everything and it was truly ours, belonging to Queens. This is when I lived in queens. I’d often drive from there to Bennet field and check out the old planes in one of the hangars. That’s another wasteland which I always liked. I would take roads south of belt parkway. There are some weird and interesting neighborhoods down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

I used to go there on weekends, early mornings. Rockaway to me has a very NYC vibe to it. It’s gritty, it’s far from great, it’s far from everything and it was truly ours, belonging to Queens. This is when I lived in queens. I’d often drive from there to Bennet field and check out the old planes in one of the hangars. That’s another wasteland which I always liked. I would take roads south of belt parkway. There are some weird and interesting neighborhoods down there.

Opinion:
Now it's home for our newcomers.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Now it's home for our newcomers.
A fact, not an opinion. Pretty sad too.
Watching volunteers get together on projects resorting those old planes was a treat. Some left under their own power at some point. I haven’t been there in 9 years. I wonder what changed.

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

Yeah I'm out here, I wouldn't trade it for anything on this planet

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So it's an usually dangerous beach?
My family has been living in Rockaway since the 19th century and we are all swimmers from great-grandparents forward. Rockaway has a notorious strong undertow. I learned how to swim in Rockaway's Ocean and I am used to it. The drownings inevitably occur in Far Rockaway near the Atlantic Beach inlet because it looks deceptively calm. There's usually a couple of drownings in that area every summer. There has already been a drowning in the adjacent Long Beach area. Some guy went fishing on one of the rock jetties and slipped off. As usual, he didn't bother heeding the warning on the posted signs. I wouldn't say that Rockaway is any more dangerous than other beaches along Long Island. Perhaps, Montauk is rougher.

Old Today, 06:45 AM

1,155 posts, read 866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
From the Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
Building a Better Rockaway Beach

Rockaway Beach General Access and Closures
Hmmm, I think this is outdated from last year. This was the exact same wording and exact same beaches posted about last year. I don't think they updated this for the 2024 season yet. In fact, I fear they now moved further down to the more popular beaches near where the ferry leaves you off

Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah I'm out here, I wouldn't trade it for anything on this planet
Are you on a 7th floor ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City