Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 11:25 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,249,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Probably was Riverdale Twin Cinema that closed back in 2005.

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4045
It was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM

6,854 posts, read 4,309,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What do you think would do well there?

Isn't the theater that's closing in some decrepit strip mall right next to Bronx Criminal Court, the DA's office and the probation office? That doesn't sound like an environment where anything upscale would prosper, but it'd probably make sense to build something related to the court business there. Good place for criminal law firms to have offices?

Old 04-29-2024, 01:19 PM

5,756 posts, read 2,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Haven't seen a movie in the Bronx since Whitestone Cinemas closed down.

I usually go down to the City or up to New Roc.
That's just it. I used to live right around there. No one I knew went there. Everyone went to the city.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:59 PM

208 posts, read 129,161 times
But here is the thing... The same company said they are closing in Brooklyn and Queens too. So ask yourself why the news had to make it another "woe is the Bronx" story....

Old 05-02-2024, 10:04 PM

Who said it is in the red??? According to them the landlord wanted too much. The company is closing theatres in Queens and Brooklyn as well. Has almost nothing to do with The Bronx. Nobody is rushing to open movie theaters

Old 05-02-2024, 10:07 PM

This building (link below) just opened the next block over from the court... Even though it has a corny name - this is no affordable housing. Let's see how quickly it fills up. If it does - then expect to see more. That will answer if you will eventually see "upscale" around there.

https://thebronxvibe.com/

Old 05-02-2024, 11:28 PM

34,174 posts, read 47,459,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
This building (link below) just opened the next block over from the court... Even though it has a corny name - this is no affordable housing. Let's see how quickly it fills up. If it does - then expect to see more. That will answer if you will eventually see "upscale" around there.

https://thebronxvibe.com/
I was in the Bronx last week, I took that 2 train ride

New buildings all over the place, I lost count after 15

BX is on fire, in a different way this time around!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-03-2024, 12:34 PM

5,756 posts, read 2,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
Who said it is in the red??? According to them the landlord wanted too much. The company is closing theatres in Queens and Brooklyn as well. Has almost nothing to do with The Bronx. Nobody is rushing to open movie theaters
If the landlord wanted too much it means they wouldn't profit and be in the red. Like you mentioned nobody is rushing to to go to movie theater, which means it's not profitable enough to remain open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was in the Bronx last week, I took that 2 train ride

New buildings all over the place, I lost count after 15

BX is on fire, in a different way this time around!
Those are ALL affordable housing. Mainly lower income, many requiring a certain percent from shelters. The Bronx is NOT on its way. It is keeping itself down.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:11 PM

34,174 posts, read 47,459,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
If the landlord wanted too much it means they wouldn't profit and be in the red. Like you mentioned nobody is rushing to to go to movie theater, which means it's not profitable enough to remain open.

Those are ALL affordable housing. Mainly lower income, many requiring a certain percent from shelters. The Bronx is NOT on its way. It is keeping itself down.
U bugging

BX on the come up

Would you rather now or the 1990s, you know, when Giuliani supposedly made it safer

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-03-2024, 02:38 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,528,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
Why is the Bronx underserved? Are the capitalists shy?
The Bronx has 1.4 million residents and a vast majority are not huge money making households.

Retail brands and chains avoid the Bronx due to reputation and history. But not accurate in today's Bronx--meaning there is a lot of money to be made there.

The Bronx continues to grow and should have better grocery and retail--and entertainment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City