Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 08:37 PM

188 posts, read 125,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
There’s no White Flight in the East Bronx, the non-white population has increased but there’s no white flight. Some Irish Americans and Italians Americans to this day keep moving in from other areas of the City and Westchester, not to mention the Balkan population that never stopped steadily growing (still many people arriving from Kosovo and neighboring countries every month). Some regular White Americans can be seen along Pelham Parkway and White Plains road who picked the area for its relative affordability/safety ratio.
Also in the gentrifying slivers of the South Bronx, that’s Westchester-type/Long Island-type whites moving in droves, regular people, nothing like the non-binary blue-haired FREAKS that colonized North Brooklyn and the Lower East Side.
Good points. I know an Italian guy in Throggs Neck. Lamented that his children had to move to Connecticut because to buy a house in the neighborhood got too expensive. For $200k less they got more square footage. They didn't move because of quality of life but because of cost. But then I thought to myself "but who then is buying those houses? (in Throggs Neck and the East Bronx). In Pelham Gardens/Parkway I have seen some Yemeni people. Not sure where they got the money. Those houses go for at least $700k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 06:10 PM

606 posts, read 2,096,297 times
Thank goodness for the Yemeni immigrants and the like (Albanian; Jordanian; Nigerian; etc) that keep the city vibrant in the wake of middle class flight.

Queens will not be less than 10% white anytime soon because of continued gentrification in places like LIC, Astoria, and Ridgewood.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:18 PM

10,168 posts, read 15,046,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
I personally was very safe as a white person in that neighborhood as a child/teen/young adult when it was mostly white. I'm no longer safe in that same neighborhood primarily becuase I'm white and it's mostly hispanic. And the stats prove it.
That’s an oxymoronic statement. Unless the Hispanics are mostly Hispanic-Americans (ie. born and raised in the USA) where many (though not all) school systems spread to many the victim mentality and an us vs them antagonism with the them being non-Hispanic whites; generally, any type of Hispanic isn’t anti-white at all, regardless if it’s a Hispanic white or a non-Hispanic white. You can be surrounded by mestizo Hispanics, Amerindian Hispanics, black Hispanics, mulatto or black/white mixed Hispanics and chances are most aren’t anti non-Hispanic whites. When there is a Hispanic of any type with that anti non-Hispanic white mentality, 99% of the time they are American born or have been in the USA since they were a kid before attending kindergarten. When this happens, the issue are some American public schools where this victim mentality is taught to many.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:14 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,899,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Just a few thoughts, as a life long white Queens native.

- The white flight of the 50s/60s was real and yes partly racist. The "white flight" beyond that really has very little to do with racism. It's about quality of life which includes, as you say, crime, education and just good ole neighborhood upkeep. You think I want to live next to a white meth head red neck? No. So it's not about color or race in 2023 for sure.

-Higher crime in nyc black and hispanic hoods is not a trope. It's real. So keep lying to yourself. Again, this applies to middle class family oriented areas. Not white hipsters in Williamsburg who I'm sure are doing as much drugs as any other race. Again, I will use College Pt. Queens as an example. I personally was very safe as a white person in that neighborhood as a child/teen/young adult when it was mostly white. I'm no longer safe in that same neighborhood primarily becuase I'm white and it's mostly hispanic. And the stats prove it.

-The perfect example is last. North Flushing/Whitestone Queens. Used to be all Italian, Irish, Jews and other white. However Chinese starting moving in slowly. Did they scare white folk away? No. Why did white people leave then? They were being offered ridiculous amounts for their homes by the Chinese. So lots of white people left but it wasn't white flight. It was a business decision. And for a couple of decades white/asians lived pretty much in harmony. Dang, I practically raised my neighbors kids as they didn't know any American sports or traditions or cultures. I made them their first bbq on july 4th one year. Till this day, our families are close. This is a common story all throughout my area. Crime remained very low. But then things changed. The homes were being knocked down and rebuilt as apartments. As a result, renters starting moving in, mostly lower income hispanics that normally wouldn't have gotten into this hood. Eventually crime rises. People smoking weed in front of their "house." Drag racing down the street. Suddenly we have gun activity. Never had it before. So now both Asians and white families are selling and moving out.

If the newcomers cared about their homes, behaved, didn't disrupt classrooms at school, didn't bring in criminal acitivity...we wouldn't care what color they were.

Ya hear!
Well done. Loud and Clear.
When you look at a forest from afar it looks beautiful.
Upon further inspection it is not uncommon to run into wild animals and poison ivy.
Clearing the forest provides safety against wild animals and poison ivy. Key to survival.
Applying this analogy to everyday life is fundamental.
This is not code talk. This is real talk.
Live and Learn.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:16 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,102,019 times
I think it's amazing that 47% of Queens residents are foreign born, much more than any other borough and the majority of the foreign born aren't white people. Whites are only 22.8% of the population so clearly there's a trend there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Queens

Last edited by Yac; Today at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-05-2024, 02:33 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,323,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
Good points. I know an Italian guy in Throggs Neck. Lamented that his children had to move to Connecticut because to buy a house in the neighborhood got too expensive. For $200k less they got more square footage. They didn't move because of quality of life but because of cost. But then I thought to myself "but who then is buying those houses? (in Throggs Neck and the East Bronx). In Pelham Gardens/Parkway I have seen some Yemeni people. Not sure where they got the money. Those houses go for at least $700k.
Yemeni people are like a lot of other Arabic folks. They come here, open up a business and go from there.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:14 PM

1,431 posts, read 733,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think it's amazing that 47% of Queens residents are foreign born, much more than any other borough and the majority of the foreign born aren't white people. Whites are only 22.8% of the population so clearly there's a trend there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Queens
The future of Queens is Chinese, Indian, and Latino.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 02:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I think the shift must be political more than anything. Many Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, etc are 100% European where all of their grandparents or at least great grandparents were born in Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc. Since the language of their heritage is Spanish though, the whole Latino community gets treated like a separate racial category when really they could be from any racial background. No one is calling Cameron Diaz or Ted Cruz “not white”, but many Bronx Latinos look just like that. It’s weird to me as a Canadian how in the US a Southern Italian with a very dark complexion is considered white but if he looked the exact same but had a Puerto Rican accent he would not.
Things change. Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, Greeks and Turks weren't considered white here until the mid to late 60's. For a long time Jews weren't accepted as white.
Now they are all "passing" as white. Somehow Israelis are white but Egyptians and Palestinians aren't. Figure that one out. Dominicans think they are white but nobody accepts them as white.
This country has a long history of warped racial identities and relations. It's all about having some other group to look down on.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-06-2024 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-06-2024, 04:05 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,994,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Things change. Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, Greeks and Turks weren't considered white here until the mid to late 60's. For a long time Jews weren't accepted as white.
Now they are all "passing" as white. Somehow Israelis are white but Egyptians and Palestinians aren't. Figure that one out. Dominicans think they are white but nobody accepts them as white.
This country has a long history of warped racial identities and relations. It's all about having some other group to look down on.
They recently label Asians as “ people of color”, which is a disgusting ID label I never expected to be associated with before I entered this land…

Old 05-06-2024, 04:44 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
They recently label Asians as “ people of color”, which is a disgusting ID label I never expected to be associated with before I entered this land…
Historically Asians were labeled as yellow. Which is worse, being called yellow or
a person of color?
When I was a kid the nuns warned us in scary terms that "one day the yellow race will rule the world," like it would mean the end of the world. They also told us that "the Jews killed Christ" so they were the worst. I don't know where that came from since it was obvious that the Romans ( Italians) killed Christ.
Separating,labeling and hating "others" has been a theme here from day 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City