Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:20 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This got me wondering about which regulars in this forum would make for the best roommate during this.
Me !!! I am not available for you, but I have been great ask my wife, daughter, cat, and dog

Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:
Have you tried having a conversation with your spouse about this outside of a heated moment? I think it helps to talk it over and having in mind some solutions like chores that he can probably handle well enough that would take more off your plate and a system for keeping that going. Hopefully your spouse can be motivated by an appeal to his better nature since I’m guessing hostility, no matter how deserved it would be, probably won’t work in the long run.

As for what’s easier, I’d think it’d strongly depend on the roommate and how good of a roommate the person answering is. A really good roommate (or spouse) paired with a decently considerate person would be a massive plus over solitude, I’d think, but then there are real ****bags out there that would be awful to live with.
Well sure--really we very rarely raise voices, but certain things persist none the less...In this instance, I'm referring to cooking. He'll make meat and then maybe spaghetti and a jar of sauce to go with it--little to no vegetables (like maybe one bell pepper to split between 4 people). He might as well just open a couple of cans of chef boy-r-dee. I'm trying to eat vegetables as the main part of my meal, so I end up cooking most of the time. Lately we haven't gotten takeout at all, but going back to takeout a few days a week is probably the solution for us.

If I were talking about this yesterday, I probably would have sounded more positive. It's funny but I was thinking--it's not so bad cooking so much more than usual (we typically got takeout about 1/2 of the week for dinner). But then I went to look for leftovers (at least some of them) from the meal I had spent a couple of hours cooking yesterday, and he had already eaten everything! I yelled.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Me !!! I am not available for you, but I have been great ask my wife, daughter, cat, and dog
Whacha cookin?

Old 04-18-2020, 03:13 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
I've been buying a lot of hummus, bread, pasta, sauce, couscous, veggies that are easy to stick in the freezer to prolong shelf life (that way I can buy in bulk and not have to worry about it all going bad), rice and take out.

It's nothing fancy but somewhat healthy and fills you up. But I've also been buying a lot more baked goods than I used to (cake!). I say to myself, it's for dessert! lol.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 PM

910 posts, read 752,944 times
Quote:
Sounds great! Cooking more really has been one of the positive highlights for me. We ran out of yeast early on and haven’t really bothered to look for more. Instead we’ve been turning to things that don’t require yeast like making dumpling skins and noodles. I’m curious about the meatpies you’re making. Are these like British style meatpies? Do they store pretty well or do you basically have to eat them quickly.

We’re making really large batches of stuff and staggering our large quantities of leftovers so there’s always some variety. We lucked out in that just a couple of months before the pandemic we bought a bunch of stackable tupperware that’s easy to clean of various sizes. For example, I made a giant batch of Japanese style curry that’s over a half dozen meals for two and could be either served with rice, reduced and baked into bread rolls or used as flavoring and thickener for soup noodles. Having all that tupperware meant being able to split it into the freezer for longer storage and fridge for short-term storage and staggering that out in meals over weeks. We’ve been doing that with multiple things we make so there’s always variety and it saves a lot of time as making enough curry for a half dozen meals isn’t all that much more work and time than making enough for half dozen meals.
Yes, the meat pies are def British style. I think they can be stored well (if you freeze them). Since I cook for myself, I often have a lot of leftovers that last days. I've frozen them before and it works well. If you do that, just remember to cut the pie into triangles so you have your portions ready.

And definitely you can stagger and create variety with leftovers. Me personally, I've used stale bread to make soups with onion or garlic soup with paprika, salt and add to that some pieces of ham (optional). You can definitely save yourself time and work if you do the things you do and even in some cases, food tastes better after a day or two!

Old 04-18-2020, 03:25 PM

8,338 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
This got me wondering about which regulars in this forum would make for the best roommate during this.

Not me :-). I vont to be alone (Greta Garbo).

Old 04-18-2020, 05:50 PM

33 posts, read 26,880 times
whew, what can I say...

Second week of March, I start my new job in Manhattan. Bosses are telling me "sorry you came in during such a **** week
Following Sunday, boss calls me while I'm on the turnpike and says "we're not going to work tomorrow".
Decided to head back south for home, and have been chilling ever since. Waiting on that call to go back into work.

The good? Administrative leave
The bad? buying too much beer during my unforeseen "vacation"

Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM

I'm curious, though: what is everybody else's job situation looking like?
1. Are your employers taking care of you?
2. Have you filed for unemployment? And if so, are you making more than you did than when you were working?
3. Do you see this lot of free time you have as a blessing or a curse?
4. What are you doing to get through your day?

Sorry for the rant, I'm a few glasses of wine and several PBR's in on this fine, fine Saturday night.

Sarava!

Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
I had to upgrade my Netflix so that all of us in the house could watch at the same time.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I am actually glad that I am an essential worker and still have a job to go to. I like that it gets me out of the door.

I am in such a tiny space right now with my husband. It really sucks. He is bored working from home but tries to force himself out at least once per day to go for a walk and perhaps make a stop at the store.

But I am healthy and employed. That is enough to smile about.
amen to that, no cap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City