Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
SIF is only about 30mins and not that cold unless you stand outside during winter.

As for what happens once you arrive in Manhattan that would depend upon where you work/are going.

For anything below 23rd Street am willing to bet commute times would be a wash when compared to coming all the way from Jamaica, Queens.
From Jamaica I'd be the LIRR to either Penn or Atlantic Yards, then subway from there. Probably less than 30 minutes on the LIRR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 05:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
SIF is only about 30mins and not that cold unless you stand outside during winter.

As for what happens once you arrive in Manhattan that would depend upon where you work/are going.

For anything below 23rd Street am willing to bet commute times would be a wash when compared to coming all the way from Jamaica, Queens.
Maybe so. But if you work in Midtown, Jamaica is not a bad choice. E train takes around 30 minutes from Jamaica to 53rd and Lex.

And if you wanted to keep riding the train til 14th St., the ride is about 50 minutes total from Jamaica to 14th and 8th Ave. That's during regular hours without delays (not sure if the E starts going local at some time of the night).

If I had to commute to Chelsea and had a low budget, I would probably prefer Jamaica just because it's only the subway, and only one train at that. However, I wouldn't rule out Staten Island before taking a look first.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:52 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
It's already 30 mins on the lirr from forest hills. In actuality an lirr ride from sutPhin to Penn would be 40-45 mins if you factor waiting times and boarding. Add 15 mins for the trip to the station. The E subway does not take 30 mins to Lexington in the rush hour. It takes longer most of the time and gets crowded once it reaches briarwood.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 PM

Just checked Google maps to 23rd st on a weekday morning. Jamaica is faster than from anywhere on Staten Island.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's already 30 mins on the lirr from forest hills. In actuality an lirr ride from sutPhin to Penn would be 40-45 mins if you factor waiting times and boarding. Add 15 mins for the trip to the station. The E subway does not take 30 mins to Lexington in the rush hour. It takes longer most of the time and gets crowded once it reaches briarwood.
Guess you would just magically appear on the ferry, and then it departs on your schedule.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,497,882 times
Quote:
That can't be true (regarding the LIRR), it only takes 45 minutes to get from Baldwin to Penn Station by LIRR and Forest Hills is like 2 stops away from Penn Station

Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Guess you would just magically appear on the ferry, and then it departs on your schedule.
Of course you cant. Just saying the lirr ride from Jamaica to Penn is not 30 mins most of the time.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That can't be true (regarding the LIRR), it only takes 45 minutes to get from Baldwin to Penn Station by LIRR and Forest Hills is like 2 stops away from Penn Station
I haven't taken the train from baldwin so can't say. I used to take it from queens for 6 years and for the most part the ride from fh was 30 mins.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,497,882 times
Quote:
I haven't taken the train from baldwin so can't say. I used to take it from queens for 6 years and for the most part the ride from fh was 30 mins.
That's interesting, considering the ride is usually around 45 minutes from here (which is on the same line) with Jamaica being the halfway point roughly

Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
Quote:
The E is scheduled to take 30 minutes from Jamaica to Lexington/53rd. I guess any train at rush hour is going to take longer than the schedule says due to people holding the doors and more volume getting on and off.

For the sake of this discussion, the only way to compare commute times is to look at what the schedule says and expect any commute from A to B to take longer than the schedule says due to delays.

Regarding boarding and waiting for trains, you have to build in time for that with any commute as well (including ferry). And ditto for time to get to the station from your house or apartment.

I'm not saying Jamaica is great for commuting. I personally think it would suck to have to live in Jamaica and commute to Chelsea every day. What I am saying, though, is if I had some job in Chelsea and some crappy budget for housing, I would still consider Jamaica because it does have several train options and the scheduled time between Jamaica station and any station near Chelsea (including W 4th) is 50 minutes.

Even with a delay, it's not a horrendous commute. It's bad but not horrendous, but what can you expect on a budget so limited it would push you out to the far reaches of transportation lines, such as Jamaica or Staten Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City