Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,643,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Quite frankly, after your meltdown the other day I'm extremely reluctant to comment on anything you say. Your blatant and knowing mis-characterization of my post regarding Colin Powell was not in keeping with intelligent discourse.
I read that before it was deleted. I almost never agree with your posts Airborneguy, but Dude's response was crazy and uncalled for. I was surprised to see him back posting here after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 AM

29 posts, read 38,171 times
Why do some many people think it's race that is the reason the cops stop them? Maybe in a very few cases it's because the cops is racist, but mostly it's that if the neighborhood is a bad area and you get people walking around that are thugs then the police are going to be watching them no matter what race. If the majority of the race in an area is asian, and the police are mostly stopping asians in that area, is that racial profiling? No. The goal of the police is to stop crime, which possibly means using stop and frisk to monitor thugs regardless of race.

Also, people tend to spout numbers about X percent only being caught with a gun after being frisked. Stop and frisk is meant to be a preventive measure so that thugs are scared to carry guns because of the fear they can just be stopped and possibly jailed for illegally carrying a weapon.

The program could have been carried out better though...

If someone is going to cry out "racial profiling!", then there needs to be evidence to support their claim.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have poor people and single parent people all over the country, yet the knockout games are only done by certain people and in certain areas. So clearly there is something else going on besides poverty and besides having single parents.

There have always been poor working class people, married or not. I've been in any number of poor working class neighborhoods and felt safe. This violence is coming from ghetto neighborhoods.
Like I said the issues are: social, educational, environmental, and economical. How is stop and frisk/gentrification going to stop the knockout game??

Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,823,120 times
97% of shootings and shooting victims in NYC are done by black/latinos

of course S&F are going to be against black/latinos in high crime areas

get over it

Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,270,593 times
Quote:
Can you point me towards statistics which back the claims you make above? You should easily be able to find them considering many states which are pro-2nd Amendment have urban areas. This "Wild West" environment you speak of must be the norm in places like Texas, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, etc.
It's not the norm anymore even in those states. In fact gun ownership is down.

U.S. gun ownership down almost across the board, survey says | KDVR.com

Perhaps most surprisingly, gun ownership is down across many regions and demographics. It has declined in urban and rural areas, among households with and without children, among religious people and non-religious people. It has even declined in the South and Mountain West states, areas that had previously been thought of as strongholds of gun ownership.

I also remember reading that Colorado had a gun ownership rate somewhere around 35-40% a few years back.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
So you're basically in agreement with me that your "free for all shoot-em-up" scenario is a myth then.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Like I said the issues are: social, educational, environmental, and economical. How is stop and frisk/gentrification going to stop the knockout game??
It won't stop it, because the guys doing it probably won't be carrying anything worthy of a stop and frisk.

NYWriterdude is advocating that cops stop 2 or more blacks walking together just "because" they "might" do something.

NYWriterdude's post are contradictory and he never stands for anything for a long period of time. One minute he's down for something, then the next he's against it. There is no consistency.

One minute he's against gentrification and then now he's for it.

Like in one post, he says he has no problem with social services "temporarily", but I bet he'll create another thread saying how these people are disgusting slobs draining our resources.

I no longer take him seriously.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times
Quote:
Can you point me towards statistics which back the claims you make above? You should easily be able to find them considering many states which are pro-2nd Amendment have urban areas. This "Wild West" environment you speak of must be the norm in places like Texas, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, etc.
There are none.

And believe it or not Airborneguy, I believe everyone should be allowed to own guns to protect themselves. In the majority of states, you're allowed to.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It won't stop it, because the guys doing it probably won't be carrying anything worthy of a stop and frisk.

NYWriterdude is advocating that cops stop 2 or more blacks walking together just "because" they "might" do something.

NYWriterdude's post are contradictory and he never stands for anything for a long period of time. One minute he's down for something, then the next he's against it. There is no consistency.

One minute he's against gentrification and then now he's for it.

Like in one post, he says he has no problem with social services "temporarily", but I bet he'll create another thread saying how these people are disgusting slobs draining our resources.

I no longer take him seriously.
You really do have issues concerning social services, don't you? You're taking comments that are said by people on this forum, myself included far too personally?

The entire time I've posted on this forum I have always been for cuts in social services, and I have always accused certain segments of the population for being disgusting slobs that drain our resources. That's especially my attitude with NYCHA.

With that said, I have said there is absolutely nothing wrong with temporary entitlements such as unemployment that people worked for and paid taxes into.

And I did not advocate the cops stop two or more Blacks just because they together. I said given the recent knockout game maybe stop and frisk or increased police presence in problem areas isn't a bad idea, given the fact that ghetto people just can't seem to behave.

But back to the Black issue, its a common tactic for scum to try to hide behind race. I have personally seen criminals try to hide behind their race when they are busted. Its just that they've learned to milk white liberal guilt. I'm neither white, not liberal, nor guilty so whatever. Nor will I defend or like someone because he is Black.

So if people don't want trouble with the police, LEARN to BEHAVE, and there won't be so much trouble with the cops.

The courts and de Blasio have no choice but to take the knockout game into consideration when formulating policies for the NYPD. De Blasio won't want to go down as the man who let NYC get overrun by crime.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
There are none.
I know, I was being facetious.

Quote:
And believe it or not Airborneguy, I believe everyone should be allowed to own guns to protect themselves. In the majority of states, you're allowed to.
Good to hear. There is no correlation between legal gun ownership and increase gun crime. Gun crime is at a 20 year low in our nation and so far, it continues to go down. Punishment needs to be targeted towards those who commit an actual crime with a firearm, not preemptively created to whittle away the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City