Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM

19 posts, read 82,819 times

Advertisements

Again, thanks for your concern. I don't feel unsafe to a point where I want to pay lots of money to break my lease, or to screw over my landlord, who is really awesome. I'm gonna stick it out till November (I've been here this long, right?)

So now, we're looking for new apartments. Which is never fun, but quite necessary. I've been looking into Bushwick- does anyone here have a good idea of how that area is? I'm being told it's one of the "up and coming" neighborhoods, but some also say that about the South Bronx, so the term worries me.

Hustla- is your precinct in the South Bronx? I'm wondering if you work anywhere near where I live. There was a shootout a few weeks back that I'd like to know more about out of curiosity, if you've heard about it (Labor Day, 159th and Courtlandt, about 6pm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,773 times
I think there's a Bushwick thread here, and a lot of people say it is a dump too. But I don't know the area. There are also safer areas of the Bronx.

To the other poster---you might want to look into apt shares in "better" areas, if you don't mind roommates.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmh1230 View Post
yc

Yes, I am knew to nyc and this city does scare me. I do not like the neighborhood I am in and yes, I am looking for another place to live. I was mis-lead on where to live when I was looking for apartments. There are no "trade offs" in my oppion to living near crime.

I was giving her advice female to female, not as a " native new yorker".
khmh1230, the more I read your posts, the more I feel like you just are not cut out to live here in NYC. I can feel the nervousness and jumpyness in your posts. It's almost palpable.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,006 times
BronxChick....in a way I am happy to hear about your struggle. It just shows that thee people are not accustomed to seeing people other than themselves, and sorely need exposure to new faces, new idea, new perspectives,etc. I experience on occasion this sillines, however we are just novelties at this point.....however in time they will grow more accustomed to the diversity that is inevitably coming to them...and that's a good thing. For those of us being new in certian communities, these attitudes are human nature and are relatively common and harmless.

Just remember, they would be the first ones running to the good 'ol "reverend" Al Sharpton if the reverse were going on, and it would certianly make headlines everywhere. These kinds of things happen all the time..don't take it personal..ignorance and rudeness knows no bounds! If you really want to freak them out and confuse them...make sure to bring a bunch of your friends around and make sure to be seen....we are here...we are not going anywhere...and as a mater of fact....I am bringing more of my friends too....so HA!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,101,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
khmh1230, the more I read your posts, the more I feel like you just are not cut out to live here in NYC. I can feel the nervousness and jumpyness in your posts. It's almost palpable.

[SIZE=3]Is it unreasonable to be nervous when you have just moved here? Can you cut me some [/SIZE][SIZE=3]slack? Especially when you are coming from a city 1/10 the size. I came here for school, and I do not plan on staying. I will not make enough money to have the same quality of life here that I would somewhere else.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]With that being said, I am not trying to dis on your city. There are many wonderful things [/SIZE][SIZE=3]about the city. The culture, the restaurants, the plays, the architecture, the parks, the arts, the mix of races, the history, etc, etc.. I can see why people are drawn here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Question: Do you think that people who have lived here 10,20,30 yrs get numb to the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]negatives in the city i.e. the crime statistics, the garbage, the graffiti, the homeless man barley clothed sleeping on the street corner right next to the café with the women sitting, eating, with her Gucci and prada bags, the noise, etc. I guess I am “green” to all of that, and I am sorry if my posts annoy you. [/SIZE]

Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM

yes..I agree that Kmnh might be better off elsewhere..but that's okay..the city is certianly not for everyone...it is not for most people.....there is a HUGE world out there that can accomodate everyone's needs.

There will be someone eager to take your place..most likely at a higher rent!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmh1230 View Post
[SIZE=3]Is it unreasonable to be nervous when you have just moved here? Can you cut me some [/SIZE][SIZE=3]slack? Especially when you are coming from a city 1/10 the size. I came here for school, and I do not plan on staying. I will not make enough money to have the same quality of life here that I would somewhere else.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]With that being said, I am not trying to dis on your city. There are many wonderful things [/SIZE][SIZE=3]about the city. The culture, the restaurants, the plays, the architecture, the parks, the arts, the mix of races, the history, etc, etc.. I can see why people are drawn here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Question: Do you think that people who have lived here 10,20,30 yrs get numb to the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]negatives in the city i.e. the crime statistics, the garbage, the graffiti, the homeless man barley clothed sleeping on the street corner right next to the café with the women sitting, eating, with her Gucci and prada bags, the noise, etc. I guess I am “green” to all of that, and I am sorry if my posts annoy you. [/SIZE]
Your posts don't annoy me, in fact I find them amusing.

You made a good point about becoming desensitized to a lot of things. If people walked around having panic attacks each time they saw a homeless person or some trash they would not make it here very long. But the grittyness of New York is also part of what makes it a special place.

I'm not a fan of most of the graffiti out there but some graffiti can be very cool and high art. There are some really great pieces spread out throughout the city. One of my favorite current artists, John "Crash," Matos has a NYC graffiti background. Also some of the totally bombed out trains in the 80's were great pieces of art. But yeah most of the stuff out there is pretty ugly, and an annoyance.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-20-2007 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,101,940 times
[quote=NooYowkur81;1539779]Your posts don't annoy me, in fact I find them amusing.
quote]

Glad to know my apprehension about my new surroundings amuses you.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,773 times
It is amusing for people who have lived here awhile, because what you are complaining about is so minor in the grand scheme of things. The majority of NY'ers brush that off if they've lived here any length of time. NYC has, I believe, the biggest income discrepancies in the country, so the very rich and the very poor can be almost cheek to jowl. Plus, you are in an area many would consider to be a-ok---esp compared to years ago when it was realllly hairy! In fact, tons of people would "kill" to be able to afford to live in that area now.

But in a sense, you are already a typical New Yorker. No matter how good or bad we have it, we never get tired of complaining! It comes with the territory...

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Agreed Elvira...the complaints are a dime a dozen..welcome to the city....the only happiness people experience is when they are complaining how miserable they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City