Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,680,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Report it to who? The police? Haha.

I say move the area is crap and she seems like a nice person. She deserves better. Hopefully she can find a decent one bedroom on the Upper East Side for like 1,500. You never know.
"You can run, but you can't hide"
--Joe Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,659 times
Yeah for $1,000 you can still find at least a studio or a 1br in one of the nice areas of the Bronx. You don't have to live in the ghetto for that ammount of money. Sure the commute isn't going to be nearly as quick, but you'll have better services and you won't have to put up with random ghetto B.S.

Hell I think 1brs in Parkchester are going for around $900 a month. While Parkchester certainly isn't paradise, its a decent neighborhood and I don't think anyone would b*tch you out for being white in that neighborhood.

$1,000 is too much for the South Bronx in my opinion. If the rent were below $800 a month maybe somehow you could justify it, but not for $1,000.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,754 times
Come to Parkchester or Van Cortlandt Village. The former is a decent neighborhood and the latter is a great neighborhood. You can find good rent prices, too.

Hint: never move to the South Bronx if you're White, unless, a) you know about 50 other White people moving to the same area as you, or b) you're living around Yuppies.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
I teach in the south Bronx...there are quite a few white teachers in my school, so I'm not the only one walking around in the neighborhood. Thankfully the 4 is only a 3 minute walk or so.

I've walked through a lot of bad neighborhoods trying to get teaching jobs, and no one's ever bothered me. I've been bothered more around 34th street than anywhere I've walked. I think people can sense what your intentions are. I respect all types of people; poor, rich whatever. I don't care where people come from. I make friends from all walks of life. At the same time, I also walk confident and have respect for the area I teach in, even though I know it's dumpy and I teach to mothers who had their kids when they were 15 or younger. I know it sounds weird, but I really do feel like people can unconsciously feel your vibe and how you feel about them and the neighborhood.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,611 times
Yes, Rachel, I believe that too. Body language speaks volumes.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,802,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Man, you guys scare me. I teach in the High bridge area, yet only about a 3 minute walk from the 4 train's 170th st stop. On the platform whileI go home are rowdy middle school and high school kids. Maybe they notice me dressed up and assume i'm a teacher lol
Teachers are usually appreciated. I like Elementary/HS teachers although they sometimes dream too much and sometimes get a little too liberal. I like them becuase they offer guidance to many children in these areas who otherwise would have none. That is why I help you. People in the neighborhoods know this. Now HS/JHS kids can be rowdy and mean, and some people are screwed up so just follow the tips I gave you in the past. So long as you don't make yourself a target, your chances of being victimized drop significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Hustla, my white boyfriend from the sticks who came here in 69 experienced plenty of trouble. He worked honesty and hard for many years, but had a disability that qualified him for social security disability and section 8. It took the geniuses (social workers, etc) years to think to tell him about the programs. He knew nothing about disability or section 8 til then.

He lived in alphabet city during the really bad times, and got held up at knifepoint twice. A couple of crackheads grabbed him in the hallway and one had a board with nails up to his head. Luckily the cops spotted them and they were arrested, and he had to testify.

He lived in apartments, SRO hotels, homeless shelters, and Bowery flophouses for many years. One time he had to stand up to a very scary black guy in a shelter named "Ice" and take it outside. The guy was wearing rings on every finger so it wasn't a fair fight, but they both got a few good hits in. They were surrounded by the local "residents" who finally broke it up, telling my b/f, ok, you got your respect.

Next day, he and Ice came to an amicable understanding. He told me local kids would come up to him and ask: Are you the one who fought Ice?

He's also a viet era vet and knew plenty of sociopaths and people who got 3000 dollar pensions but would hit him up (a guy at the poverty level) for bucks, cigs, etc. Users and losers---some very dangerous and deranged.

He ate at soup kitchens and the Bowery mission and out of garbage cans.

He never robbed, stole, etc. But he went through plenty as a poor white man in the city. He's still here, knock wood.

Now things are much better for him--has a section 8 studio which he maintains meticulously, 10 bucks in food stamps (impressive, no?) and his social security check and VA health care.

He watches his back for sure. I'm much less "paranoid" than he is. His experiences gave him PTSD, so he can never really get rid of the wariness. But my experience is different. Doesn't make me blind to reality. Sometimes reality is ugly. But he loves NYC and doesn't want to leave. Neither do I.
It's one thing to like NYC but the South Bronx is what it is. He's not paranoid either. He adapted correctly. Watches his back and that cuts his odds of being victimized. He isn't a fool.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM

I guess if you're dressed up in the south Bronx and white, they can only assume you're a teacher lol

Good to know teachers are respected though. It's important and helps us a lot when trying to reach these difficult children. I had my first day today with Kindergarteners. Though they're difficult, it's very rewarding; even after just a day. These kids really do long for some nurturing.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM

It was actually kind of funny today...I was walking pretty fast to the train and walking around these group of teenagers who were walking slow. I guess I was walking too close to the curb, but this local gently pushed me aside because a truck was pulling up and I guess I was too close. Not in a way of "get out of the way," just a gentle touch on my arm to make sure I didn't get side swiped. So not everyone in the south Bronx means harm lol

Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,710,827 times
Of all the bad neighborhoods i have been in and ridden through in my life, I never had a problem except on 8th Avenue and 47th street in Manhattan--came real close to being a crime victim back in '79

I am a social worker. Like the teacher's experience nobody seems to bother me in the bronx on the streets and trains

Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,059,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
That's why the whole "what is the South Bronx" thread seemed a little absurd to me--the OP is IN the South Bronx--not Fordham, Bedford Park, etc areas that some seem to consider the South Bronx. Apparently, there IS a difference.
Dam I had a whole reply to this deleted by my computer . So i'll make it short

Speak for yourself. I worked in a daycare on E 148th st around Third ave. for this past summer. I think that's Mott Haven. Nothing ever happen to me in that area. The only thing about the area that I didn't like was the enormous amount of trash and a couple of vacant lots. Also people smoke way too much there.

On the corner of W 183rd st and University Ave was where I got robbed for my nextel phone by a gang. The cops came and tought I was part of them and almost took me in. Luckily they did not.

My uncle got shot in that same block back in the mid 90's.

I found out a month ago that my friend was raped on University Ave between W 183rd st and Fordham rd.

On Fordham with Aqueduct a family man was gunned down after he went downstairs to buy pizza. This happened like 3 weeks ago.

My friends were jumped on Fordham rd and Morris Ave by DDP's because they tought they were 3nitarios.

I could go on and on....

What im saying is that because things dont happen to you, doesn't mean they dont happen to nobody. The Fordham rd area is IMO just as bad as the Mott Haven area or even worse.

So when you say things are different up here to me it shows your lack of knowledge of the area for those who have gone through alot of sh*t here.

Again I had much more written up but this dumb computer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City