Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,563,575 times

Advertisements

Just found this: Shooting On East Second Street - The Local East Village Blog - NYTimes.com

It's interesting that one of the locals say that shootings are common while the gentrification in Alphabet City is recognized as the more successful ones. And from what I gather so far this year, Manhattan seems to be pretty active. Am I wrong?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM

810 posts, read 838,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Just found this: Shooting On East Second Street - The Local East Village Blog - NYTimes.com

It's interesting that one of the locals say that shootings are common while the gentrification in Alphabet City is recognized as the more successful ones. And from what I gather so far this year, Manhattan seems to be pretty active. Am I wrong?
There is gentrification, and then there's criminal elements moving deeper underground. This is what I believe is happening around the city. So many people go missing who might actually have been murdered and their bodies disposed off secretly (ie. that case of the man carrying a woman's body inside a briefcase). I remember there being flash brawls in that area, but I always wondered where those people came from, either from uptown or outer boroughs to be able to come and go so quickly.

http://gothamist.com/2010/03/22/myst...hrough_eas.php

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/08/two_...illage_bra.php

Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 PM

810 posts, read 838,046 times
In Williamsburg there were two recent occasions of a man sexually assulting elderly women, apparently inside their apartments.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Police search for Brooklyn sex assault suspect, release surveillance photo | 7online.com

A brutal mugging on an 81 year old woman inside a subway station, she was knocked into the floor and was fractured.

Cops looking for thief who mugged elderly woman inside Fulton Street subway station - NYPOST.com

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,595,621 times
What's this thread for? Is it a yearly tradition on CD? I was expecting an interactive (searchable by precinct) link

Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 961,403 times
Sorry, but this made me laugh: NYPD arrests 5 in attack on a Port Richmond teen | SILive.com

If these lames are "affiliated" with MS-13 then I'm "affiliated" with the British Royal Family. I promise you nobody in my neighborhood had ever heard of the "Port Side Lokos" until around three weeks ago when one of their "members" unfortunately got their hands on a can of spray paint and began spraying "PSL" and a bunch of related randomness on just about every block. What constitutes being a gang these days anyway, ignorance and spray paint? Funny thing is, if any area Bloods or Crips ever cared enough to decide to oppose the aforementioned "Lokos" it'd be labeled a "hate crime" almost instantly. =/

Stay in school, kids.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,581 times
At grimace8 the thread is young. It generally gets going moreso towards more March and April when we could generally get a feel at the time for what the numbers will tell us for the year in regards of crime.

Different statistics are posted for areas in Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens. Topics of gentrification and whether it has had a noticeable effect on lowering the crime rate are discussed, as well as our current system of compstat and whether it is a legitimate source to gauge crime. As for the types of crimes that are generally posted, shocking crimes, big drug busts, and interesting white collar crimes are discussed on here to see if whether the crimes committed are petty crimes or are crimes linked to a bigger issue...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by anon1; 01-14-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Man this thread has gone dead silent. Haven't been really checking up on the statistics lately. Too busy watching football and working. What's been going on? Any neighborhoods continuing last year's pattern? Any major neighborhoods growing or diminishing in crime rate from last year?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,322 times
Smile Bets

Can we take bets on which neighborhood will be # 1 for the year 2011?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,292,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Man this thread has gone dead silent. Haven't been really checking up on the statistics lately. Too busy watching football and working. What's been going on? Any neighborhoods continuing last year's pattern? Any major neighborhoods growing or diminishing in crime rate from last year?
Nah...all the killers are watching the NFL games too lol

Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Unfortunately I think my old neighborhood will once again lead NYC in crime being East NY. I think Brownsville will be a close second, with certain sections of Harlem joining them and I'm gonna say one area from the Bronx will round out the top 5, but Im not sure which one yet. East NY is just a war zone. Its ridiculous how after so many years, the same stuff continues to go on as its been for over 25 years now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City