Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM

45 posts, read 161,411 times

Advertisements

Actually I just saw this link on the first page about when they start contacting us.

The lottery for the affordable housing program at 440 West 42nd Street will begin on September 21, 2010. Status letters for opened applications will be mailed starting at the end of October. Occupancy is scheduled to begin in March 2011. Thank you for your interest in this exciting new property.

But I do have another question, What does the whole Preference thing mean? For Example I saw on the application that people that are in or eligible to be in Manhattan Community board 4 has a 50% Preference and City Employees have a 5% preference, Does anyone one know what that means or how it works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 11,273 times
well thats good to know, Now i can stop expecting a letter any day now. lol

Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM

17 posts, read 64,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Just wondering who else is applying to this development. I received my application in the mail yesterday and sent it back today..hoping to be one of the first applications logged..I think my procrastination in the past has hurt me. SMH

Although I am applying and would be extremely excited to have the opportunity to interview. I have to say that I'm particularly disappointed in the decor of the building. Whats with all the black glass? The building..so far..looks very dull and dark. Not very appealing. But it isnt finished..so maybe the finished product will be better.

Besides..i'll forgive them if the inside of the building is fantastic !! LOL
Hi JKid84NYC, I just want to ask because I'm new to this... where do you find other sites (like the one you listed here) that have have available lotteries?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkjoj View Post
But I do have another question, What does the whole Preference thing mean? For Example I saw on the application that people that are in or eligible to be in Manhattan Community board 4 has a 50% Preference and City Employees have a 5% preference, Does anyone one know what that means or how it works?
It means that 50% of the lottery slots will be given to people who already live in the Community Board 4 district and 5% of the lottery sots will be given to NYC employees( teachers,cops,firemen,sanitation workers,etc).

The remaining 45% of the lottery slots go to non-city employees who live in the rest of the city.

It means you have a much,much better chance of getting an apartment if you already live in the neighborhood or if you are a NYC employee.

There is usually a preference given to people with disabilities too, so that may take up another 5% of the available apartments.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It means that 50% of the lottery slots will be given to people who already live in the Community Board 4 district and 5% of the lottery sots will be given to NYC employees( teachers,cops,firemen,sanitation workers,etc).

The remaining 45% of the lottery slots go to non-city employees who live in the rest of the city.

It means you have a much,much better chance of getting an apartment if you already live in the neighborhood or if you are a NYC employee.

There is usually a preference given to people with disabilities too, so that may take up another 5% of the available apartments.
Ohhhh.... Thats good to hear, that's the response I was looking for, but didn't want to assume. Hopefully I get lucky and get accepted!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,362 times
Well I'm a City Employee so Hopefully I get accepted

Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 46,143 times
I too have sent in an application for 440 West 42nd street. I hear all apartments have a washer/dryer and there is a pool and two or three off broadway theaters in the lower level. Plus if you have guests visiting there is a "yotel" in the lower level. All this place needs is a trader joes! Still waiting to hear any news, I sent mine in later rather than sooner.... hope that doesn't hurt me, I did mail it before the cut off deadline tho. Anyone get any floor plans? Building name? Anyone get called in yet for the lottery? Keep us posted! I am very excited about the chance to live here! I do already live in the neighborhood, so I REALLY hope that helps my chances!!! : )

Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 PM

17 posts, read 46,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkjoj View Post
Actually I just saw this link on the first page about when they start contacting us.

The lottery for the affordable housing program at 440 West 42nd Street will begin on September 21, 2010. Status letters for opened applications will be mailed starting at the end of October. Occupancy is scheduled to begin in March 2011. Thank you for your interest in this exciting new property.

Hi! Can you tell me where you got the info about the lottery starting and the opening of the applications? That is GREAT news! Today is the 21st of Sep!!!! YAY! Hope to hear something soon!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadburychocster View Post
Hi! Can you tell me where you got the info about the lottery starting and the opening of the applications? That is GREAT news! Today is the 21st of Sep!!!! YAY! Hope to hear something soon!!
I actually found the link on the first page of this thread. Heres the link Affordable Housing

And even though they are opening the applications now, we wont get word until the END of October lol

Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM

82 posts, read 192,065 times
I'm curious on how this lottery is being...is it really random selection or is it based on how fast you mail your application out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City