Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2024, 12:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,113,308 times

Advertisements

If you want some trees, a bit more winter snow (you're likely used to), and cooler summers I'd suggest you look up HWY 14 from Cedar Crest to San Antonio, NM, and also out Frost Road from San Antonio towards Edgewood, NM. It's a pretty area that is suburban to rural, but only minutes from Albuquerque. HWY 14 has many businesses to support your daily needs: Grocery store, hardware, Vet clinic, dining, etc. Frost Road is all rural housing, but Edgewood also has shopping/dining/businesses. It's an area that feels much different than Albuquerque proper, but is close enough to commute, especially to the east side of town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 12:27 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnmaine View Post
Yes I have read by the infrastructure in New Mexico being way behind. But I'm kind of used to that here in Maine we have a lot of bridges and Rosa needs to be repaired it takes forever. Potholes are very familiar with lol. As far as medical is concerned I was told when I was there that is a hit or miss. When we were there with her son university of New Mexico hospital was exceptional we could've asked better service. As far as after the fact for Rehab it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Canyon Rehab had misfits working over there. The six months that he was there you were lucky to see the same staff every week it was like a rotating door. And half of them couldn't speak English couldn't read his chart right or anything had to call them every day to make sure he got his meds and so on.. I can go on so I will aware of medical service, it happens here too. So you really have to do your homework.

I can see Water being in an issue you see it all the time on the news. And it's not just New Mexico. Infrastructure is not keeping up with the population and it's only gonna get worse. So washing your car there once a week in your yard is probably a big no-no?
When you go on Zillow there was a Lotta new housing developments towards Los Lunas But yes also read about traffic problems. Thats why I like to hear from people who can give me more insight of what is really going on.
Los Lunas is going to have a lot of crime as well. But then again, almost every place here does, with the possible exception of Fort Sumner, which I did sell a home to once a few years back, and was very impressed there. But that's 45 minutes away from any town.

The half dozen times or so that I have visited Maine, in various areas, (From Cape Elizabeth up to Jackman, actually) it seemed more where like where I used to live in suburban New Jersey. You could post a sign up on your front lawn stating what days and times you would be away from home to work, and leave the front door open, and no one would think to take anything. You can't do that here.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:48 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Albuquerque itself is not very urban, it's mostly suburban. But we have the benefits of a city like municipal water and sewer, street-sweeping, loads of parks, an extensive bike trail system, museums and cultural events, things you won't find in many of the surrounding areas. So do your research.

Now retired in Albuquerque, I appreciate the convenience of having five different supermarkets within a 5 or 10-minute drive, as well as gyms, senior center, library, restaurants, everything I need. I'm glad I don't have a long drive or need to get on the interstate to meet my needs. I'm also close to the foothills with its extensive hiking trail system. So I don't experience traffic issues at all, unless I have to go farther afield. Something I appreciate more as I get older.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:18 PM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
There have been soil problems with Los Lunas housing construction in the past. Those may have been resolved but still worth asking about. We looked at buying there in 2007 but the distance and infrastructure was lacking. Prices were good. It must be better now after 15 years, but it isn't any closer.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:27 AM

986 posts, read 547,936 times
Quote:
I'm from Southern Maine not northern maine and there is a huge difference cultural wise. So the biggest city is Portland we are only 30 min from there. living in smaller cities I've lived. And yes restrictions is normal. Dont want to live northern maine, nice to vacation if you want peace and quite near a lake or camping. But I wouldnt live there.
As far as NM it'll be the same not directly in the city but not to far that I have to drive an hour to grocery store. 30 to 45 min drive to major city will suite us just fine.
Since you are wanting a 30 to 45 minute drive I suggest you actually move to the west side of Albuquerque, or Bernalillo. Los Lunas is not a fun drive even when you can get to the city in 45 minutes. The roads are not designed to handle the amount of traffic they have yet unless you live close to an I-25 exit. You can't get closer to Albuquerque on the south side because of the pueblo that is between Albuquerque and Los Lunas. The same is true for Bernalillo, 2 pueblos between Albuquerque and Bernalillo, however the highway makes it easy to get to Albuquerque from there. The west side of Albuquerque is almost like a separate town, lots of restaraunts and shopping but you can find any type of place you want to live in.

I don't include Rio Rancho because if you want to go to Albuquerque from there it is not easy, the roads were designed by a crazy person for the most inconvienient ways to get anywehre. It is some traffic controlling deign that slows everything down, you have to go around the block to get to a parking lot right off the main road, or to get next door to any business.

Last edited by DesertRat56; 02-15-2024 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 09:36 AM

986 posts, read 547,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There have been soil problems with Los Lunas housing construction in the past. Those may have been resolved but still worth asking about. We looked at buying there in 2007 but the distance and infrastructure was lacking. Prices were good. It must be better now after 15 years, but it isn't any closer.
It isn't.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:05 AM

Another issue with certain areas outside the city is homeowner's insurance. I know a couple (in Santa Fe County) who was dropped by their insurance company, and they haven't been able to find another company to insure their home because of wildfire danger in their area. So they are actually considering selling, although I don't know who would buy a house if nobody will insure it.

In Los Lunas, flooding is a concern in some areas. Unlike Albuquerque, it doesn't have adequate flood control systems. This caused serious flooding a couple of years ago:

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/new-n...lunas-flooded/

Homeowner's insurance has shot up everywhere, so do your research. You might up spending a lot more on insurance to live in more affordable housing outside the city.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:31 AM

25 posts, read 10,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Another issue with certain areas outside the city is homeowner's insurance. I know a couple (in Santa Fe County) who was dropped by their insurance company, and they haven't been able to find another company to insure their home because of wildfire danger in their area. So they are actually considering selling, although I don't know who would buy a house if nobody will insure it.

In Los Lunas, flooding is a concern in some areas. Unlike Albuquerque, it doesn't have adequate flood control systems. This caused serious flooding a couple of years ago:

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/new-n...lunas-flooded/

Homeowner's insurance has shot up everywhere, so do your research. You might up spending a lot more on insurance to live in more affordable housing outside the city.

Hmm is wildfire common in NM? Reason I say that I never hear it on the news compared to other states you hear all the time. More trees more risk. You can find INS. it'll just cost you more than the average. How is there flooding. It hardly rains there. Ok after looking at the news its interesting 2" can do that in 30 min. 2in in my are is nothing. Flat land can be devastating for sure. Drainage should be a must before you start any kind when developing an area. I'm a little surprised. It's all good info. Thanks

Last edited by Fishnmaine; 02-15-2024 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 11:48 AM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Since you are wanting a 30 to 45 minute drive I suggest you actually move to the west side of Albuquerque, or Bernalillo. Los Lunas is not a fun drive even when you can get to the city in 45 minutes. The roads are not designed to handle the amount of traffic they have yet unless you live close to an I-25 exit. You can't get closer to Albuquerque on the south side because of the pueblo that is between Albuquerque and Los Lunas. The same is true for Bernalillo, 2 pueblos between Albuquerque and Bernalillo, however the highway makes it easy to get to Albuquerque from there. The west side of Albuquerque is almost like a separate town, lots of restaraunts and shopping but you can find any type of place you want to live in.

I don't include Rio Rancho because if you want to go to Albuquerque from there it is not easy, the roads were designed by a crazy person for the most inconvienient ways to get anywehre. It is some traffic controlling deign that slows everything down, you have to go around the block to get to a parking lot right off the main road, or to get next door to any business.
I agree that west or north makes more sense than Los Lunas. I'm far enough north that I do most of my errands into Bernalillo or Enchanted Hills. I'm in Rio Rancho and don't agree with DesertRat on that point. I actually don't have any problems getting around. Rio Rancho (and the whole west side) grew up first around the bridges and then spread out. There are connecting E-W streets between Unser and Hwy 528 (N-S) in Rio Rancho. Granted, Rio Rancho has done some silly things but most of that has no bearing on living there. The commercial district is dispersed - no actual downtown, which you wouldn't expect in a post-1950s suburb. Being retired, I seldom need to make the trip into Albuquerque except on the north or west edges. There are two good hospitals in Rio Rancho and my doctor is close by. Crime is lower and schools better and home buyers get more for their money in Rio Rancho plus it is in Sandoval County and exempt from the vehicle emission rules.

The entire region needs at least two additional bridges to relieve the E-W traffic bottlenecks morning and evening but if you don't have to be part of it you are mostly okay.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Hmm is wildfire common in NM? Reason I say that I never hear it on the news compared to other states you hear all the time. More trees more risk. You can find INS. it'll just cost you more than the average. How is there flooding. It hardly rains there. Ok after looking at the news its interesting 2" can do that in 30 min. 2in in my are is nothing. Flat land can be devastating for sure. Drainage should be a must before you start any kind when developing an area. I'm a little surprised. It's all good info. Thanks
Wildfires are a danger in areas with lots of trees. That includes the East Mountain area, and areas in the Rio Grande bosque, which is a cottonwood forest along the river.

Heavy downpours can occur from spring to fall, but usually in the summer during the monsoon season. They can create rivers of rushing water from the mountains down to the Rio Grande, wiping out roads and houses. The city of Albuquerque constructed a flood control system over the last 40 years to prevent this from happening, although there are still some areas where minor flooding can occur, mostly in the Valley. Rio Rancho has some of this but plans for more (it is still expanding), and smaller communities mostly lack this infrastructure since it's expensive to build.

I don't mean to suggest that flooding is a major concern, or that it is widespread, but both wildfires and flooding have become more frequent in recent years, which has driven insurance costs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico