Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 39,369 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate it if anyone had any feed back about Raton NM. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
I think Raton is a real nice town. I had a population of circa 7000. It set in the mountains and the view is great. You can pretty much find everything you need there or within a short driving distance to Trinidad (CO) which is 20 mins away. I have found the people there to be nothing but nice. The houses can be a tad expensive from what locals are telling me, for the size of the area vs wages but I dont think they are terribly high. (800) 638-6161 is the number of their Chamber of Commerce which can help you with questions we dont have answers to.

I live around an hour south of Raton in Clayton.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM

24 posts, read 117,636 times
Raton, like many places in NM, is too high for many retirees because they don't have good lungs, they end up on O2 all the time. Do you like snow? Going to have plenty, plenty, plenty. Many times retirees trying to get away from snow. I think BNSF abandoning the rr in favor of the Belen cut-off is not going to help things in Raton, either. Do you like Hispanic culture? That is Raton. How's your health, it's a small town and you will have to travel for any specialty things. Just some things to think about, I think NM has a lot of pretty places for retirees.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:12 PM

All of NM has Hispanic culture which is good. The main thing is the people are good. You are right on altitude, its not for some.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

203 posts, read 714,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think Raton is a real nice town. I had a population of circa 7000. It set in the mountains and the view is great. You can pretty much find everything you need there or within a short driving distance to Trinidad (CO) which is 20 mins away. I have found the people there to be nothing but nice. The houses can be a tad expensive from what locals are telling me, for the size of the area vs wages but I dont think they are terribly high. (800) 638-6161 is the number of their Chamber of Commerce which can help you with questions we dont have answers to.

I live around an hour south of Raton in Clayton.
Raton has a good art scene for a town its size, is home to the NRA's Whittington Center. The downtown is nice (about a mile from the highway interchange). The town has converted the old ATSF employee library into a nice gallery featuring regional artists. Haven't been in a few years, but the El Portal Hotel on 3rd St used to have a great cafe. The old theater on 2nd has been mostly restored and gets national touring companies of Broadway shows etc.

But isn't Clayton East of Raton?

Last edited by jsc23; 02-21-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Clayton is most definitely east of Raton! I like Raton, but it has too much of a winter for me. I've been to the Whittington Center before.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM

203 posts, read 714,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Clayton is most definitely east of Raton! I like Raton, but it has too much of a winter for me. I've been to the Whittington Center before.
Last year Raton secured a $250,000 grant to develop "firearm tourism". Raton is certainly a polite town.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I am going to visit the Whittington Center on the next trip. Considering I've been in the NRA for a couple of decades, a day or so of training and practice with some real experts would be enjoyable. Raton looks, from all the info I have collected, to be a real live western small city.

When we retire I think we will want a place with less snow but not true desert.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 AM

I live in Clayton, and its most definately south. South east if you want to push it.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3didgets View Post
I would appreciate it if anyone had any feed back about Raton NM. Thanks.
just a couple of things: 1-even for those with no lung problems the high altitude can play murder on breathing so think about that. Even living a little south of Albuquerque has been hard for me and my heart and oxygen level are very good, but 7 years and I still have some problems.

I also would spend some time in the state before making a decision. The climate is awesome, sunshine and beautiful scenery. Of course Raton is colder than the Albuqueque area. The people in the state are a mixture of very nice and not so nice. For the most the state has a mind set that doesn't always agree with some of us who have come from other places.

We love our neighbors and our church. We are very involved in the community but because of the poverty in the state, the crooked government and a few other problems we have decided to re-locate. When we retired here it never dawned on us this would happen.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico