Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,327,463 times

Advertisements

^Thanks, I realize they are fairly chilly at times and I mainly want to just see the sun. I see it on the horizon now and know it must be shining high in the sky somewhere.... I have found that I can comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt at 40 degrees when there is little humidity and no wind at those elevations from the radiant heat of the sun. While the temps plummet at night the sun usually warms it up during the day. It was -31 here the other day so it's all relative, I have also seen people in Phoenix wear winter coats and hats when it's 60 degrees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^Thanks, I realize they are fairly chilly at times and I mainly want to just see the sun.
That's the great thing about NM winter. Sunniest state in the country. The higher elevations can get cold, but the sun makes it nice. Never many dreary days in a row.

Perfect for passive solar heat, solar electric, and water heating too. Electric panels have gotten really cheap and salt water batteries look promising. It makes living off grid easier than ever.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM

5,737 posts, read 4,351,547 times
Quote:
^Thanks, I realize they are fairly chilly at times and I mainly want to just see the sun. I see it on the horizon now and know it must be shining high in the sky somewhere.... I have found that I can comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt at 40 degrees when there is little humidity and no wind at those elevations from the radiant heat of the sun. While the temps plummet at night the sun usually warms it up during the day. It was -31 here the other day so it's all relative, I have also seen people in Phoenix wear winter coats and hats when it's 60 degrees
Yes but you will acclimate. When you arrive from your dark and dreary winter you'll be toasty. After a few weeks or years of doing this you'll be wearing a winter coat like everyone else.

I'd look into the wind aspect a bit more too. NM is notoriously windy in late winter-early spring, and maybe in the mountains it is windy even earlier. I dunno, but it would be good to check out. Mountains tend to have air currents.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 AM

481 posts, read 1,305,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'd look into the wind aspect a bit more too. NM is notoriously windy in late winter-early spring, and maybe in the mountains it is windy even earlier. I dunno, but it would be good to check out. Mountains tend to have air currents.
Good point on the wind. Coming from western NM I can attest to that late-winter/early-spring wind. It can get pretty gusty in the low mountains and canyons of the region. I remember a couple of times in the Gallup and Zuni area there were 60mph sustained winds with up to 100mph gusts that tipped a few semis and school buses in the area. Winds that strong aren't the norm but they occasionally happen and 30mph sustained winds aren't uncommon. A lot of people hate that kind of wind but it's something that most get used to after a while. I happen to like it, it's just nature breathing heavy and makes it seem more alive.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:07 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,258,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
In that case, there is a lot of cheap land around Ramah-El Morro that is worth a look. It is just a bit farther north than Pie Town and Quemado but an attractive area IMO.
Around $1K an acre, give or take $100.
I live near El Morro and it's truly unique. But water is definitely an issue.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM

I hate multiple windy days in a row.... In northern Arizona the windy season was March/April for the most part, so I figured it was similar in NM? I was planning on being in NM for the month of January usually. Would this help me avoid the bulk of the consistent windy days? One or two days of wind broken up by non windy days is fine. I just dislike 60 days straight of it. Thanks

Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,904,865 times
Quote:
I hate multiple windy days in a row.... In northern Arizona the windy season was March/April for the most part, so I figured it was similar in NM? I was planning on being in NM for the month of January usually. Would this help me avoid the bulk of the consistent windy days? One or two days of wind broken up by non windy days is fine. I just dislike 60 days straight of it. Thanks
Guess what! Just a few of several wind threads:

Windy Weather, Wind in ABQ
Wind in New Mexico
Albuquerque Weather - Severe Downslope Wind

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM

^Thanks, Those threads make it sound like it is windy 365 days a year there, looks like I'll have to put up wth some wind . I have spent plenty of time in AZ and CO so I have an idea of what to expect. Hopefully I can avoid the bulk of it in January.... My luck it will be windy everyday when I am down there though.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,351,547 times
Quote:

Perhaps...but in January the temperature at high elevations may not be 40...and by March as you know the wind is definitely most persistent

And I don't know what a normal January is like, because this is the first January I've spent in NM. I'm sure the data is out there to find. But most of the first 3 weeks this year seemed mighty cloudy to me. I was not happy AT ALL with my Vitamin D production even in Las Cruces. It has only been really nice for a few days now. Must have been much worse in the mountains. I do know that by February things are usually pretty nice, with occasional cold blasts and precip.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:10 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,248 times
Quote:
In northern Arizona the windy season was March/April for the most part, so I figured it was similar in NM?
Same where I live. I don't recall the wind ever really picking up until March. And then some years it's a lot for two months and other years not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico