Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 06:32 PM

471 posts, read 378,338 times

Advertisements

Thinking about investing in commercial property either in the form of Multi Family, or Mixed use MultiFamily+Retail.

I'd like to limit myself to Hudson/Union/Essex County.

In Essex County, Newark is ruled out since for lack of a better word it a shole with no redeeming qualities or ability for gentrification.

Morris is pretty much dying, Passaic is a mess, and Bergen is saturated. The above 3 counties IMHO show greatest chance of booming over the next 20 years.

My budget is around $2.6M stretched between multiple properties or 1 property.

Where do you suggest I focus on? And would N-NJ be better than Manhattan (where in my budget I'm mostly looking at Harlem/uptown), or Bronx, or Brooklyn?

Manhattan is a 5%-6% cap rate market like Brooklyn.
Bronx is 6-8% cap rate.
Union/Essex also seem to be 6-8% cap rate with Hudson coming in at 5-6%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 08:11 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
If it were me, I would stay away from residential. Buy a commercial building and lease the units to doctors/dentists for their practices. Probably the most secure tenants you can ask for.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 PM

471 posts, read 378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If it were me, I would stay away from residential. Buy a commercial building and lease the units to doctors/dentists for their practices. Probably the most secure tenants you can ask for.
In an ideal world that would be possible but it’s hard. Tried in my building in union county. Even invited the doctor my to my home, and gave him every incentive in the world including low rent, and I would pay for his construction costs. He still said no, and instead bought a building himself.

Right now I only have retail. I feel with rise of e commerce the best transition would be to retail mixed with residential.

Hudson county is clearly the #1 county in terms of potential over the next 20 years. There are a ton of mixed use properties. 1101 summit ave in union city which I looked at a few seconds ago fits the bill. 6% cap rate which I may be able to negotiate up to even 6.5% or 7%.

But my only worry is why don’t go for the prize? Why settle for less?

Manhattan is the crown jewel. Why limit myself to Hudson County?

I know of a mixed use property in Midtown Manhattan that was purchased for $100,000 in 1973. The owner survived the turbulent 70s/80s. By the time Giuliani brought the city back to life he saw a boom in his property value. The owner did minor cosmetic changes. Today the property is worth $25M and comes with a $250k property tax.

I know it’s worth $25M because he took a cash out refinance on the property for $15M in 2013. The Bank’s valuation was $20M assuming 70% LTV.

You can’t always plan life out but I’m trying my best to do so with my hard earned $700k capital.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:15 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,189,465 times
Have you looked into real estate investment trusts (REITs)? The reality of owning and managing real estate can be a rude wake up call for investors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey