Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

163 posts, read 93,314 times

Advertisements

You know what I always wonder? How many people are actually arrested or fined for skipping jury duty. There are occasional stories about the sheriff's deputy showing up at the person's front door, but I suspect those are scare stories to scare people to comply. And if it really does happen, it is probably small and rural towns, not in Essex County, NJ. Let's say out of a pool of 600 summoned jurors, 10% do not show up. That is 60. And suppose the judges really issue warrants for those 60 people. The police don't have the time or manpower to chase down and arrest all those people. I think that most law enforcement agencies in New Jersey have much more pressing needs. I think chasing down and arresting people for skipping jury duty, people who are otherwise obeying the law would very low on the priority list for most law enforcement agencies. And even if they did have the manpower, the judges don't the time to add dozens of cases to their dockets every week to deal with every one of those people. So maybe a few people get busted on a traffic stop if there is a bench warrant. I think the end result would be a fine. Would they actually haul someone in and force them to serve as a juror? Do you think that a judge or a lawyer for either side wants someone on a jury who is not responsible and does not follow instructions? The stats are never published about how many people actually are penalized for skipping jury duty, and I suspect the judges and juror management don't want them published because in reality very few people actually are, and more likely than not nothing will happen.

Last edited by MJoseph42286; Yesterday at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,204,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoseph42286 View Post
I was just summoned as a Petit Juror for the week of May 13th. I live in Belleville, in Essex County. I am 41 and it is my first jury duty summons. My length of service is one week/one trial. Stupid question, but what are the odds I actually end up serving on a jury? From what I understand, the chances are very small. It is probably much more likely I am told I am no longer needed after the first day than actually end up on a jury. Is that accurate? Also, I saw other posts on this, but in Essex County, is the first day still usually just on Zoom and not in person. I saw a post on reddit a couple of years ago that said that.
They don't do zoom for jury petit in my county. It would be a big help if they did. I never understood why they don't pick more educated people instead of what I call laymen. A woman I worked with always said they should have people hired to do jury duty all the time. But that would never happen.

I was told they never in my county ever do zoom for jury petit. They want to see the people to make the selection as to who they want for trial. I am in a lot of pain they will be darn sorry if they pick me.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,204,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Yeah what a dumb comment that was. Go live in some craphole dictatorship.
Maybe the woman I worked with has something here when she said they need to hire people to do jury duty. I say it would be to expensive unless it's a government low paying clerical job that allows them to decide if it's even worth it to take to trial and to be the jury duty for a trial case. I don't get why they don't send notices to professional educated people when they would be better than the average layman.

Old Today, 05:29 AM

88,678 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Maybe the woman I worked with has something here when she said they need to hire people to do jury duty. I say it would be to expensive unless it's a government low paying clerical job that allows them to decide if it's even worth it to take to trial and to be the jury duty for a trial case. I don't get why they don't send notices to professional educated people when they would be better than the average layman.
How would restricting jury members to a specific group be a jury of one's peers, though?

When I was on the murder trial, half of us were public sector employees for the simple reason that we would get paid for the entire trial. Others were retirees, a guy who worked for a chemical lab, and a woman who worked for AT&T, I think.

Hmm. That was 30 years ago. The guy we sent to prison must be up for parole this year! He was 20 when he was convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey