Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 09:30 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymma View Post
You could demolish the mall and build a stadium/mall hybrid setup. It would be huge and this stadium wouldn't just be used for football but also other events. It should have a retractable roof so you could have year round events so it won't sit empty which is the case of the current stadium.
Overlaying Metlife Stadium over the mall site, the stadium doesn't even fit on the site. The space between Marin Blvd. and the backside of Newport Tower is narrower than Metlife Stadium. Perhaps a more creative design could be wedged into there.

If you had a "mall" component, it would have to be underneath the stadium. And then I'm sure there's acres and acres and acres of structured parking you'd have to find a place to build. I could imagine a 10-story parking deck, three stories of retail, and then a stadium on top of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 09:45 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
There is 0 chance anything of that scale can be built on Hoboken. Zero. We can barely accommodate new condo buildings with the infrastructure and density, if you had 80,000 people coming in for games it would break the city.

Maybe Harrison could make sense. Maybe. But by that time it may also be built out.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:47 AM

47 posts, read 19,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Overlaying Metlife Stadium over the mall site, the stadium doesn't even fit on the site. The space between Marin Blvd. and the backside of Newport Tower is narrower than Metlife Stadium. Perhaps a more creative design could be wedged into there.

If you had a "mall" component, it would have to be underneath the stadium. And then I'm sure there's acres and acres and acres of structured parking you'd have to find a place to build. I could imagine a 10-story parking deck, three stories of retail, and then a stadium on top of that!
No parking garage. That would be the caveat and it would allow you to maximize space. Most of the people using the current Newport Mall are locals in JC/HB and Manhattan residents. None of them are driving. If you allow parking then all the vehicles overrun the neighborhood. Anyone that wants to visit the mall or stadium outside the area would have to use PATH or ferry.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
There is 0 chance anything of that scale can be built on Hoboken. Zero. We can barely accommodate new condo buildings with the infrastructure and density, if you had 80,000 people coming in for games it would break the city.

Maybe Harrison could make sense. Maybe. But by that time it may also be built out.
Commanders built their stadium in 1997 and by 2007 were already asking for a new one for similar reasons. Current Meadowlands stadium is already over a decade old and an absolute embarrassment for a metro area built around transit. And unless the Bergen Loop is completed by the World Cup in 2026, Europeans are going to laugh at us for making them transfer two commuter rail trains just for a short distance from Manhattan.

Harrison currently has the PATH and NJ Transit so building it there could work if enough people protest and vote for a useful leadership Steve Fulop rather than **** suckers and fat bastards like Phil Murphy and Chris Christie that toss the money on lane widening projects which always fail.

Meadowlands is just a **** location and unless they build walkable things around the stadium like bars, restaurants, condos, and apartments, it's always going to be a ****hole area of the metro area.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM

445 posts, read 320,727 times
Quote:
Commanders built their stadium in 1997 and by 2007 were already asking for a new one for similar reasons. Current Meadowlands stadium is already over a decade old and an absolute embarrassment for a metro area built around transit. And unless the Bergen Loop is completed by the World Cup in 2026, Europeans are going to laugh at us for making them transfer two commuter rail trains just for a short distance from Manhattan.

Harrison currently has the PATH and NJ Transit so building it there could work if enough people protest and vote for a useful leadership Steve Fulop rather than **** suckers and fat bastards like Phil Murphy and Chris Christie that toss the money on lane widening projects which always fail.

Meadowlands is just a **** location and unless they build walkable things around the stadium like bars, restaurants, condos, and apartments, it's always going to be a ****hole area of the metro area.
What two transfers? PATH to Hoboken and then NJ Transit to Metlife. One transfer. Are you counting the subway in NYC? If so, it's not like we're going to get the subway connected to Metlife so you will always need one transfer. Also, busses will definitely be running from Manhattan straight to the stadium.

Who gives a crap what Euros think about our public transit? We know it isn't great but are their thoughts going to hurt our feelings?

Old 02-09-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
What two transfers? PATH to Hoboken and then NJ Transit to Metlife. One transfer. Are you counting the subway in NYC? If so, it's not like we're going to get the subway connected to Metlife so you will always need one transfer. Also, busses will definitely be running from Manhattan straight to the stadium.

Who gives a crap what Euros think about our public transit? We know it isn't great but are their thoughts going to hurt our feelings?
Typo on my part. Meant to say one transfer two trains. NJ Transit from NY Penn to Secaucus Junction and then transfer to NJ Transit from Secaucus Junction to Meadowlands.

It does matter what they think since we brag about NYC are being great but we can only be great if we have great transit. It proves we can do things as good as them. Not just Euros, but also East Asians.

So far we proven we fail at transit and should be trying better and both states should elect transit leaders like Fulop rather than scum of the earths like Murphy, Gottenheimer, or Cuomo that are anti-transit.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:53 PM

445 posts, read 320,727 times
I share your sentiment that transit options lack big time in this country. It's pathetic that we live in one of the better spots for it and it still is lacking. However, one note - they will not need to do all that on game day. Hoboken runs straight to Metlife on those days and surely will that day.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I was responding to you and DH on this: "The next fight should be about renaming the Jets and Giants to New Jersey or kick them out of the stadiums/state."

Who cares that they are named NY but play in NJ? It's very obviously for the NYC metro area and if the choice is that it stays that way or we lose the Giants altogether, I'll take the status quo.

Also, sorry about that happening to you. That is traumatic.
Thanks.

As I noted, I really don't care that much. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter what they call themselves.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I share your sentiment that transit options lack big time in this country. It's pathetic that we live in one of the better spots for it and it still is lacking. However, one note - they will not need to do all that on game day. Hoboken runs straight to Metlife on those days and surely will that day.
NY/NJ have existing networks to leverage and expand. The only reason we are good is cause of what people did until the 1940s. If it were not for them, I fear we would have looked like a third world ass city like Houston where you got to drive everywhere.

I blame both parties for this along with new enemies like Elon Musk just replacing gasoline with battery but taking up the space.

Whenever I am alone in Europe, I use their rail network when arriving at the airport unless I got huge luggage. It's mostly been seamless.

That is the experience you want to give visitors. Look at Jamaica Station near JFK now. On top of that Port Authority charges for that monorail. Same in Newark Airport but at least they bury the price in the NJ transit ticket price unlike LIRR which forces you to use a separate MetroCard. It's a ****hole with barriers like it's preparing for a war rather than to welcome people. That's mostly due to homeless but city has to just use some violence against them to keep them out.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:32 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:

No they weren't , they wanted a new place because of Dan Snyder. FED EX was Jack Kent Cook's building and Snyder didn't like it but their lease still has 5 more years on it, so back then it would have almost 20 years left. Washington breaks that lease and they owe MD all the money for the "infrastructure" including 2 new 495 exits(on and off with) with Beltway upgrades and a brand new metro stop . Cook paid for the Stadium and PG. County rec center(next store) ,Maryland paid for everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey