Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:35 AM

24 posts, read 18,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I hope that his parents get that detail in writing before agreeing to anything. In view of the fact that the college doesn't have dormitories, this would mean that his "agent" is securing housing for him... hopefully w/in walking distance from the campus.
From what I've gathered there's an English lad already out there & my Grandson will be sharing with him.
My daughter & her husband are well on the ball when it comes to business dealings. She's a project manager for a retailer (Aldi) & I know she has facetimed meetings with her American counterparts. Her husband is also a project manager for a major civil engineering company here.

The lad has lived on easy street all of his life, grow up time is upon him. Its a tough world out there BUT made easier when still living with your parents.
I left home the day I left school, 15 years 9 months. Went off to become a chef at a hotel (living in). Did I become a chef.....no, I became a plumber. Those days there were jobs galore, you could jump ship & trades 10 times a year and always be in a job.

I just want to thank you posters who have taken the time to respond, cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
zjack beat me to it!
I'm sure that the terminology differs on the other side of the pond, but the OP should be aware that our Community Colleges are two-year institutions that require students to transfer to a 4 year college for two additional years if they want to earn a Bachelor's Degree. This is actually an economical way to earn one's Bachelor's Degree, but he should be aware that it is only a 2-year school.

I hope that the OP and his Grandson are aware that these Community Colleges do not have dormitories, so students are essentially on their own if they need housing. This might be somewhat daunting for someone who is newly-arrived in The US.

https://www.sussex.edu/
Just spoke to my daughter & now I’m pretty sure that link is the college in question.
Accommodation wise it’s a house share with four or five other lads, English, Brazilian, Swedish etc.
They will though be entering America legally & with a visa.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:27 PM

445 posts, read 322,109 times
Sussex County Community College is scouting overseas players and offering education/housing/food? I'm pretty shocked.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:52 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Sussex County Community College is scouting overseas players and offering education/housing/food? I'm pretty shocked.
I can’t imagine that’s the case. I would guess OP misremembered and it’s probably one of the big schools like Rutgers.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
It is that College, my daughter just sent me the same link that’s been posted on here.
If you’re shocked, should we here start having concerns?
There are monies involved in this (as always).

Old 01-06-2024, 08:29 AM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I just went to the Sussex County Community College site, and I found this, so maybe it's legit.

https://www.sussex.edu/admissions/wh...ional-student/

Click on Mario's story at the bottom. Soccer player student from Costa Rica.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just went to the Sussex County Community College site, and I found this, so maybe it's legit.

https://www.sussex.edu/admissions/wh...ional-student/

Click on Mario's story at the bottom. Soccer player student from Costa Rica.
Thank you for that MQ, I was heading towards panic mode, thinking it was all a pig in a poke.
Monies have been handed over but not to the Collage itself & at this moment in time, the College in question was the first to approach the lad, there could be others yet. The door is still open till mid February.

My daughter has a degree & it was only yesterday that I learned from her about "credits". She is on the ball (no pun intended) regards the education side of things, her husband is the football side......me? I'm just a spectator.
I thought I was going to have to spill the beans that not all was right.
Once again, thank you.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:45 AM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
Thank you for that MQ, I was heading towards panic mode, thinking it was all a pig in a poke.
Monies have been handed over but not to the Collage itself & at this moment in time, the College in question was the first to approach the lad, there could be others yet. The door is still open till mid February.

My daughter has a degree & it was only yesterday that I learned from her about "credits". She is on the ball (no pun intended) regards the education side of things, her husband is the football side......me? I'm just a spectator.
I thought I was going to have to spill the beans that not all was right.
Once again, thank you.
It is in one of the nicest parts of New Jersey. Not overbuilt, lots of woods and natural areas.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is in one of the nicest parts of New Jersey. Not overbuilt, lots of woods and natural areas.
I'm sure wherever he ends up it'll be a great experience.
At the moment its football, girls & music........oh to be young again.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:52 AM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
zjack beat me to it!
I'm sure that the terminology differs on the other side of the pond, but the OP should be aware that our Community Colleges are two-year institutions that require students to transfer to a 4 year college for two additional years if they want to earn a Bachelor's Degree. This is actually an economical way to earn one's Bachelor's Degree, but he should be aware that it is only a 2-year school.

I hope that the OP and his Grandson are aware that these Community Colleges do not have dormitories, so students are essentially on their own if they need housing. This might be somewhat daunting for someone who is newly-arrived in The US.

https://www.sussex.edu/
Community colleges also don't have football teams, typically.

OP, to be honest, I don't think an invitation to a 2-year college is the greatest deal. If your grandson is so good, I'd think he'd have offers from 4-year institutions. If he's keen on going to university in the US (now that his appetite has been whetted), he might consider, assuming his grades are good enough, applying to 4-year universities and aiming for a football scholarship. There is such a thing.

I wouldn't get carried away just because he got an international offer. I'd slow down on this for a bit, and consider other potential options. If he's good, well-known colleges/universities would love to have him. And don't let that "agent" push you around or try to impress the mom into giving more money. Sure, mom is proud of her fledgeling, but a 2-year school is nothing to get excited about, I must say for the sake of caution.

I'm a bit concerned that there may be a hard-sell approach going on. Once he completes his 2 years, there's no guarantee that any 4-year university would honor all the course credits he's amassed, for one thing. Students sometimes find themselves having to repeat a course or two, because the 4-year institution deems some of the credits non-transferable. Did Mr Big Agent mention that?

Also: your grand will likely find US colleges and universities behind the UK in terms of requiring what in Europe is the equivalent of college preparatory work normally done in highschool. He might feel that the required "general education" course choices are baby work. Just giving you a heads-up. In the US, everyone is required to choose among a variety of course categories (humanities, arts, science) for TWO YEARS before specializing, unless they're interested in computer tech or higher math, or engineering, in which case they're expected to begin preliminary courses in those fields while also juggling the gen-ed courses.

What are his academic interests, by the way? And how good have his grades (marks) been?

And how much is this "agent" charging the parents for his services? I think a healthy skepticism at this point would be a good thing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-06-2024 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey