Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,988 times

Advertisements

Moving to Camden County. But region Blackwood, Turnersville ...
Can someone tell me how it's like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 AM

38 posts, read 347,175 times
Hi, What in particular are you looking for in the Camden County area? House, job, church/worship, college, etc.?

Blackwood and Turnersville are built up areas as far as density of houses, apartments, etc. They have the Black Horse Pike running through, which leads to other main roads taking drivers to the shore or into Philly. Traffic can be horrendous.

Some parts of these two towns are unsafe and other parts are quite safe. There is shopping galore on the BHP (Black Horse Pike.)

There has been shortage of water for houses/people in some areas off and on for years. Camden County used to have a water surcharge on the water bill; I am not sure if it is still imposed.

There is a county college and there are several hospitals.

A good place to read up on areas which interest you is to go to the newspapers website and look for any place you like, worldwide. Click on United States and then choose a state. ( abzynewslinks . com )

That will bring up a list of newspapers, cable tv channels, and radio stations which have websites. I have read many newspapers through this site and then have gone on to realtor . com to look into the housing situation. realtor . com is not the only site to list properties for sale, it's just a handy one.

Hope this helps; Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM

It must be a nice quiet safe region, no?
I heard f.i. Blackwood has a golf course, a college, little villages-sites with lake vieuw, appartment complexex with swimming pools and tennis, ....
So no real problems?

Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 PM

32 posts, read 127,972 times
I live just about 5-10 miles from Blackwood and to be honest it sounds nicer when you describe it. Don't get me wrong, it is a big town and like any town in South Jersey including my own, there are good areas and the areas you may want to stay away from. Can you give a little more information on what your looking for house or apartment, what are you looking to spend? do you have a family? what's bringing you here, a job? This may help me lead you in the right direction. Blackwood has always been pretty reasonable for property taxes, and Turnersville too until recently. Turnersville area is really building up with shops and new homes all over and I hear their taxes have jumped big time, if not yet they will soon. I used to be in the apartment industry and I could also give you "my opinion" on some of the apartment complexes in the area. So let me know and I'd be glad to help! Lisa

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Lisa

Dear Lisa, thank you for your reply.

Originally i am a foreigner, live several years now in the States (Georgia).

I am moving (new job) now to Philly.
Many years ago I "used" to have some friends near Blackwood, Blackwood is not far from Philly. Hence ... :-)

I would be able to spend about 1.000 $ a month, one (or 2) bedroom appartment.

There is this appartment complex in Blackwood, at the Old Blackhorse Pike, called Fairways. I saw it on-line

You know it? Is it in a nice safe area? ON-line it looks very nice. What's your opinion about this complex? Lisa, what you can tell me about it? :-)
I would be very obliged if you could help me

Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 AM

63 posts, read 211,074 times
You may want to look at Washington Way apartments (if you want the Blackwood, Turnersville area). Those are nice you can get a one bedroom pretty decent. How many rooms are you looking for buy the way? My sister lives in Forest Creek (Woodbury area) and those are nice and inexpensive too.

If you're working in Philly though you'd want to be close to 295 so you can get there, I'd suggest Forest Creek or Red Bank Apartments. They're close to the highway and you won't have to worry about making an extra 20 -40 min commute coming from Blackwood/Turnersville to get there.

PM if you want more info
Dawn

Old 08-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Bobette,

I already replied to you by private email since I saw that before reading this, so check it out. It's rather lengthy, sorry...

I just want to say that "in my opinion" I would choose the Fairways over Washington Way. Now I haven't been through there in quite some time, but going back about 5 years, a co-worker of mine lived there for awhile and probably still does. She had a lot going on in her family with her teenage children and they were always causing a rutcus over there. I also heard for awhile they would take in just about anyone because they needed the occupany, that is never a good sign. Crime was pretty frequent in that developement and the schools are Washington Township, which have to be getting overcrowded with the building going on there. The demographics are changing a lot in that area too becasue of the developement, you have so many different races and different levels of household incomes, which can lead to big problems in high school. But again, this is just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 PM

421 posts, read 469,072 times
Default camden

i think camden is horrible....there's some bad ghettos there...and a boys prison. plus there is a gangsta rapper that writes songs about his hood in camden...
http://www.nj.gov/corrections/cia/rfsp.html (broken link)

Last edited by RAINBOWWAVES; 08-13-2006 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Rainbowaves...Unfortunately, Camden the city is in Camden County and yes, Camden the city is one of the worst in America. I live just 25 minutes from Camden and I live in a nice, quiet, low crime, family oriented town. Very rarely do you see the Camden crimes flow outside of that city. Sure, every town has it's crime statistics, just like every town has it's good areas and not so good areas, even Haddonfield for instance, that's just the way it is. You can't escape that in NJ unless you move somewhere that has nothing but open farm land and there isn't much of that left in Jersey either.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 PM

63 posts, read 211,074 times
Turnersville is nice and has a good school system. They are all really built up though and the summer shore traffic is a really big hassle. From May - Sept.
Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia