Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 10:28 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times

Advertisements

We have almost 2 acres fenced, regular white fence with posts and beams (no idea what to call it) and then 4 in wire fence, with the bottom wire being very small..... STILL find rabbits in the yard and can't figure out how. Deer can jump it, but they haven't yet. I STILL won't leave my 90 lb dog out at night unattended.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 AM

783 posts, read 842,826 times
I know.

I would like to get livestock again, like goats and chickens and horses eventually. I did not have a problem with these types of activities in most other areas of Carson City, but I hesitate in my current location.

My neighbors gave up on ducks when the coyote pack would come serenade them all night in her backyard. I think I would have to lock up goats at night, maybe I could get a llama to protect them lol!

I have seen folks with sheep and they put a llama in there with them, my husky wanted to check out the sheep and that llama sliced his face right down the middle so fast with a hoof. They are quite the guard animal!

Old 01-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I know.

I would like to get livestock again, like goats and chickens and horses eventually. I did not have a problem with these types of activities in most other areas of Carson City, but I hesitate in my current location.

My neighbors gave up on ducks when the coyote pack would come serenade them all night in her backyard. I think I would have to lock up goats at night, maybe I could get a llama to protect them lol!

I have seen folks with sheep and they put a llama in there with them, my husky wanted to check out the sheep and that llama sliced his face right down the middle so fast with a hoof. They are quite the guard animal!

Yeah, we see llamas out with cows and sheep.

But you raise a very interesting point as my husband wants goats and chickens.... we didn't even THINK of them attracting coyotes.nn

Old 01-11-2020, 11:06 AM

7,176 posts, read 4,572,264 times
Coyotes know how to lure a big dog away and then the entire pack gets them. We live right in town in Reno and coyotes sometimes walk down the street. I always go out with my dogs.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:25 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Coyotes know how to lure a big dog away and then the entire pack gets them. We live right in town in Reno and coyotes sometimes walk down the street. I always go out with my dogs.
We have the coyotes but not much of a problem. The coyotes do not appear to come over the walls. they can of course...but they have long since discovered that there are creatures behind the walls that can easily take out a coyote. I have never seen a pack here. Virtually always singles rarely a pair. I would suspect the coyotes would get shot pretty quickly if they appeared in a pack.

Our local Sun City has problems with them on the golf course so you need to be careful of small pets.

Very rarely we get a mountain lion. The last one was years ago found at a major intersection. He was senile and had to be put down.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Here is a pic of a mountain lion on the west side of Carson up in the foothills:
https://carsonnow.org/story/01/07/20...safe-practices

Here is a bobcat:
https://carsonnow.org/story/01/10/20...hbors-pet-duck

If you have deer in your area on a regular basis, the odds are you have a mountain lion around at times. Never had anyone hurt by a mountain lion in Nevada that I can recall. My neighbor saw one in his backyard last year, but he has chickens lol...we call our neighborhood 'the refrigerator'.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
A decade and half ago we had a neighbor's cheetah to dig out of their back yard. The whole section went on lock down for 3 days. One night the creature actually played with the owners...sat on the top of the walls until they got close than would jump a couple and vanish.

The third day we discovered him hiding in our front bushes. Owner came right over and enticed him out with a turkey drumstick. Wrapped him in a heavy blanket and took him home.

Interesting thing we found when we examined the hiding place was the remains of a couple of chickens. But they were very colorful exotics. We suspect some **** fight operation may have been serving the cheetah as a buffet.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, we see llamas out with cows and sheep.

But you raise a very interesting point as my husband wants goats and chickens.... we didn't even THINK of them attracting coyotes.nn
I worked on a Quarter Horse ranch in Smith Valley every summer in my teen years and everyone out there had livestock. The chickens were free range on the ranch. It was a 40 acre ranch though with a pack of border collies on the loose and the ranchers back then would shoot a coyote on sight :/

My particular neighborhood in Carson City has more large predators than most areas. Ask you neighbors or anyone out there who is raising livestock about the predator situation out there. If you back right up to BLM mountains full of hungry critters like me it might be an issue, but if your down in the valley with ranches around it might be fine.

My sister had chickens in Carson City and only skunks and raccoons to worry about, heck my neighbor has chickens, but they are in a fully enclosed top to bottom chain link area.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 01-13-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 AM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
What an interesting thread. I have to put Carson City on my travel list, especially with being by BLM land. I'm assuming a person could stay on the land for free, as you can in Arizona.

I moved to Arizona from Minnesota in September 2017. It's okay but hadn't explored anywhere else since retiring. Now I'm looking at different areas to explore.

I have a feeling I'll like Nevada, just from the threads I've been reading. It sounds fascinating.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What an interesting thread. I have to put Carson City on my travel list, especially with being by BLM land. I'm assuming a person could stay on the land for free, as you can in Arizona.

I moved to Arizona from Minnesota in September 2017. It's okay but hadn't explored anywhere else since retiring. Now I'm looking at different areas to explore.

I have a feeling I'll like Nevada, just from the threads I've been reading. It sounds fascinating.

Lots of hunting and fishing, hiking or riding side-by-sides, or horses, shooting and stuff. So far people have been super friendly between Carson and Smith Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada