Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:06 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If leaving the remaining birds susceptible to that virus is the goal, then it worked. Think about the logic here--"Let's kill ALL our birds before the virus kills SOME of them."...???

Like we said about jhe politically motivated, unscientific CoV response-- Interventional methods to prevent spread merely means the bug will remain active for longer. It will NOT reduce morbidity or mortality over the long run. Epidemics last until a charaacteristic ratio of Susceptible to Recovered (immune) is reached..."Herd Immunity" is the state where so many individuals have immunity that the bug has nowhere to go, so to speak. We don't need to go that far.

As an epidemnic progresses, the selection pressure is for the bug to get less dangerous and the host population to get more resistant. It's not nice to fool MotherMature. She always knows best.
I could not have said it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 06:39 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
it just keeps getting worse.

Quote:
Instead of the usual cacophony of guttural honks that drowns out the waves during breeding season, the eerie silence was only broken by the sound of a few remaining elephant seals shaking their heads, snot running down their protruding, namesake noses.

“You felt like a bomb had exploded,” said Martín Méndez, recalling the scene he witnessed in October during an annual survey of southern elephant seals in that stretch of coastal Patagonia.

“It is catastrophic,” added the marine biologist at the Wildlife Conservation Society, a New York-based nonprofit group. “This is the largest die-off for the species, period.”

Altogether, an estimated 17,000 elephant seal pups seals died there last year from avian influenza, victims of an unprecedented panzootic — a pandemic among animals — that has struck around 320 types of birds and mammals.
An unprecedented flu strain is attacking hundreds of animal species. Humans could be next

Old 01-17-2024, 07:25 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I suspect there have always been animal epidemics; its when we bring these animals into close human contact, either through lab experiments or wet markets that we have a problem.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspect there have always been animal epidemics; its when we bring these animals into close human contact, either through lab experiments or wet markets that we have a problem.
possibly... but this one affects so many varied species and travels thru the air from continent to continent in migrating birds, which certainly increases the damage.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
It just decimated a group of sea lions in CA I think.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-22-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
yes it did. post #32.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes it did. post #32.
That one said Patagonia. This was recent, in CA.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
ah, ok. i'm not seeing anything in CA, but here's brazil.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:40 AM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
Quote:
Eagles Are Falling, Bears Are Going Blind [MERGED]
I initially saw this title and thought it was a thread about football lol.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe they haven't been decimated but have just left California and gone travelling north.

A group of 20 or more California sea lions swam north from California and showed up in Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C. in early December. They are still there and attracting a lot of attention from residents and tourists alike.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/group-of-sea-l...rly%20December.

Meanwhile at the same time since early December, every morning hundreds of California sea lions, Steller sea lions and harbour seals haul out at Trial Islands off Oak Bay in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, B.C.

Speculation here in B.C. is that the large numbers of California sea lions have followed the herring runs north.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature