Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 503 times

Advertisements

Okay, so Cary Grant is a versatile actor. Well, so is Errol Flynn. A look at the popularity of actors, both male and female, kind of implies it:

Popular Actors
1. Cary Grant
2. Alexis Smith
3. Humphrey Bogart
4. Ingrid Bergman
5. James Cagney
7. William Powell
8. Irene Dunne
9. Joan Crawford
10. Zachary Scott
11. Errol Flynn

Other Additions:
1. Olivia de Havilland
2. Michele Morgan

So, the film industry’s reception to Flynn as an actor can be comparable to the film industry’s reception to Grant as an actor. The list above is of the top actors who worked with an influential director and grossed more than $3.5 million at the box office. Is Errol Flynn a convincing actor in your eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 08:09 PM

11,838 posts, read 6,209,783 times
Errol Flynn was prolific. He dripped charm. He had range from comedy to drama.

He was a solid actor with star personna. Who would argue otherwise?

He was in many action movies and was highly entertaining. Who at the time would have played a better Robin Hood?

He was type-cast doing wonderful pulp entertainment. It is not his fault he was never allowed to do very serious movies or huge budget work that would have gained him an academy award. He had the looks and talent. It is just that his studios made so much money off his pulp action films in the 1940s and 1950s, he was never allowed to do anything serious.

That is not his fault.

Yes, great actor. He could do it all.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:33 AM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
As an aside, I find Alexis Smith's name there, and so high, to be...well, weird...but not as weird as Zachary Scott? And no mention of Bette Davis? Or Clark Gable? And who is Michele Morgan???

What is that list from???

But, as far as Errol Flynn goes...yes, he could do comedy, but drama was his forte. I love many of his action films, particularly when paired with Olivia DeHavilland.

Now if I could just get the autopsy results out of mind.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:15 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,521,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was unfamiliar with this, but I guess it tracks with his reputation as a noted himbo.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:25 PM

8,525 posts, read 6,952,914 times
I remember the international furor that erupted over a World War II film he starred in called Operation Burma. It centered on an American commando unit deployed to Japanese controlled Burma to destroy a radar installation. The British banned the film saying it underplayed their own role as a combat force in Burma.

Flynn had a son named Sean who was a freelance combat reporter during the Vietnam War. He was stationed in Saigon. A good looking guy who inherited his Dads good looks and charisma. Like his Dad he was a charming guy who attracted the ladies. In this case the local bar girls. Sean went out on a motorcycle to cover a combat operation in Cambodia and disappeared. To this day it remains a mystery.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:07 PM

23,542 posts, read 44,230,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Errol Flynn was prolific. He dripped charm. He had range from comedy to drama.

He was a solid actor with star personna. Who would argue otherwise?

He was in many action movies and was highly entertaining. Who at the time would have played a better Robin Hood?

He was type-cast doing wonderful pulp entertainment. It is not his fault he was never allowed to do very serious movies or huge budget work that would have gained him an academy award. He had the looks and talent. It is just that his studios made so much money off his pulp action films in the 1940s and 1950s, he was never allowed to do anything serious.

That is not his fault.

Yes, great actor. He could do it all.
I think that his alcoholism had a lot to do with his career demise. Bad judgment, ensuing scandals, compromised health, diminished capacity all point back to the bottle...the oldest story in Hollywood.

Peter O'Toole performed an amusing (and I think heartfelt) homage to Errol in My Favorite Year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbLkYmWZJo

Old 05-10-2024, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 503 times
Quote:
As an aside, I find Alexis Smith's name there, and so high, to be...well, weird...but not as weird as Zachary Scott? And no mention of Bette Davis? Or Clark Gable? And who is Michele Morgan???

What is that list from???

But, as far as Errol Flynn goes...yes, he could do comedy, but drama was his forte. I love many of his action films, particularly when paired with Olivia DeHavilland.

The list is compiled based off both Warner Bros films’ box office data gathered during Jack Warner’s reign as studio chief (particularly for films directed by Michael Curtiz, Best Director academy award winner whose films were far more consistent at being successful at the box office than those of John Ford’s), and the signficance of the actors’ screen time in those films. Relevant box office data is below.

1. Night and day (1946) w/Cary Grant and Alexis Smith: $7,418,000
2. Casablanca (1942) w/Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman: $6,859,000
3. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) w/James Cagney: $6,523,000
4. Life with Father (1947) w/William Powell and Irene Dunne: $6,455,000
5. Mildred Pierce (1945) w/Joan Crawford and Zachary Scott: $5,638,000
6. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) w/Errol Flynn (and Olivia de Havilland): $3,981,000
7. Passage to Marseille (1944) w/Humphrey Bogart (and *Michele Morgan): $3,786,000

*Fun fact: Michele Morgan was one of the actresses in consideration to play Bogart’s leading lady in Casablanca (also considered were Ann Sheridan, Luise Rainer, and Hedy Lamarr) prior to Bergman being cast.

Last edited by FandDlover2; 05-10-2024 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add more info

Old 05-11-2024, 05:55 AM

11,838 posts, read 6,209,783 times
Hedy Lamarr in Casablanca would have been very interesting.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Quote:
Clark Gable could recite lines, but he could not act.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:07 PM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I think that his alcoholism had a lot to do with his career demise. Bad judgment, ensuing scandals, compromised health, diminished capacity all point back to the bottle...the oldest story in Hollywood.

Peter O'Toole performed an amusing (and I think heartfelt) homage to Errol in My Favorite Year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbLkYmWZJo
That was a movie I loved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies