Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 02:19 PM

854 posts, read 783,133 times

Advertisements

Saw it Saturday at noon. It had a good amount of action, decent laughs, great stunt work as expected. Gosling IMO exudes charisma like no other actor in his generation, really the closest thing to a younger Tom Cruise out there.

The weak spots were the lack of chemistry with Emily Blunt, which made the slower paced scenes last forever.

The last bit concerns the movie business itself, in a huge theater on day 2, well reviewed movie, on a Saturday at noon we were alone….a private show, sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 05:44 AM

29,606 posts, read 14,737,412 times
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. In the past I've never been a Gosling fan, but after seeing him in Blade Runner, then numerous SNL skits, I'm starting to like him. And Emily Blunt is always a win.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:58 AM

23,507 posts, read 44,177,623 times
I'm completely stymied by the poor showing this film is getting right out of the gate. It would seem to have all the elements needed to make a blockbuster. I love Emily, but maybe they should have cast Rachel McAdams instead. It would be fun to see how well she and Ryan are holding up 20 years after The Notebook.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:30 AM

They really did need a different female lead….not that Blunt is bad, because she isn’t, but there is absolutely NO chemistry with Gosling.

Did like the woman playing the producer, so over the top fun.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:19 AM

1,157 posts, read 632,795 times
It "bombed" at the Box Office.

Cost $150 million to produce... opening weekend $28.5 million.

I wonder if it was the hoards of men that subconsciously didn't want to watch Gosling because it reminds them of the "overhyped" Barbie movie.

BTW, do you remember when Terminator 2 came out and people were amazed at how expensive ($102 million) it was to produce it?

Now every "normal" movie is way north of $100 million and we don't even blink an eye :P

Old 05-07-2024, 11:11 AM

2,990 posts, read 1,758,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
It "bombed" at the Box Office.

Cost $150 million to produce... opening weekend $28.5 million.

I wonder if it was the hoards of men that subconsciously didn't want to watch Gosling because it reminds them of the "overhyped" Barbie movie.

BTW, do you remember when Terminator 2 came out and people were amazed at how expensive ($102 million) it was to produce it?

Now every "normal" movie is way north of $100 million and we don't even blink an eye :P
No kidding, I think I spent nearly $100 million on groceries last month.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:19 PM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Were there "hoards of men" who hated the Barbie movie? Really??? Most guys I know really liked the movie, and that movie would NOT have been the hit it was if a lot of men hadn't gone to see it.

I suspect the movie is bombing for the same reason lots of movies are struggling these days: It costs too frickin' much to go the movies. Add to that cramped, uncomfortable seats and rude audiences, and who wants to go the movies anymore? Especially for a movie like this, which will very likely be OnDemand in 7 or 8 weeks.

I'd like to see this movie. It looks fun. But I'm not paying $50 to go see it when I can stream it for $12 in a month or two or get it from my library for free.

That said ...

I have been a little confused by all the trailers. Is this romantic comedy? An action flick? A little bit of both? It's kinda hard to know what you're getting with this movie based on the previews.

If they were hoping to appeal to fans of the old show (and it doesn't look like they were), they really missed the boat. This looks a lot more like a lighthearted FAST AND THE FURIOUS movie than it does THE FALL GUY that I watched as a kid.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:43 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
Barbie didn't get a lot of hate because most people who would have hated it never even went to watch it. It's kind of a movie that isn't exactly subtle in what it was going to be about. Most movies that get real hate are ones that run away from their target audience (as in Star Wars makers intentionally trying to 'subvert' the expectations of its fanbase), Barbie was made to please its audience. But that's a separate subject.

I think the main issue here is that Fall Guy is a 're-imagination' of a TV show that certainly had its fans (my child self was one of them), but it was never a massive cultural touch stone to the point where everyone knows what it is. So you won't draw in crowds just on the back of anticipation or hype, there needs be an appeal to people totally unfamiliar with the TV show. And quite frankly the movie probably just isn't quite ambitious enough to do that. Decent but unspectacular flicks without a 'unique selling proposition' bomb all the time these days.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:45 PM

Agree, I liked Barbie and thought Gosling played the best character in it.

I assume they were going for an action/comedy with a romance angle…..kind of like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I felt like they got the action/comedy part right and failed miserably on the second part.

Nonetheless, I’m quite surprised it cratered this weekend as even as it sits it should have done better than this. As I said, we were all alone in their biggest theater.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:12 PM

12,410 posts, read 8,194,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Barbie didn't get a lot of hate because most people who would have hated it never even went to watch it. It's kind of a movie that isn't exactly subtle in what it was going to be about. Most movies that get real hate are ones that run away from their target audience (as in Star Wars makers intentionally trying to 'subvert' the expectations of its fanbase), Barbie was made to please its audience. But that's a separate subject.

I think the main issue here is that Fall Guy is a 're-imagination' of a TV show that certainly had its fans (my child self was one of them), but it was never a massive cultural touch stone to the point where everyone knows what it is. So you won't draw in crowds just on the back of anticipation or hype, there needs be an appeal to people totally unfamiliar with the TV show. And quite frankly the movie probably just isn't quite ambitious enough to do that. Decent but unspectacular flicks without a 'unique selling proposition' bomb all the time these days.

I planned on seeing it as a day off matinee. With the original TV Fall Guy a knock off of Burt Reynolds' as Hooper with a mix of then a first era of bounty hunter chic after the westerns died. I was surprised the bounty hunter part seemed to be left out, But I guess this century's bounty hunter chic phase died 15 years ago.

Lee Majors in his second staring run show, the one that he was not remembered for and the other Heather of the era I can't recall the last time it was syndicated. As a recall the original already had a lot of comic touches so turning it into a comedy as was done with 21/22 Jump Streets, Starsky and Hutch, CHiPs and Baywatch also probably gets you nowhere for the middle aged folks who remember the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies