Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,078 times

Advertisements

My wife and I enjoyed The Fall Guy. It was right at home with 80s-style action films. Yeah, there were some flaws but who cares? It was fun.

We both thought the energy between Blunt/Gosling was one of the best aspects of the movie. There was a Jim/Pam The Office vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

854 posts, read 783,133 times
Was thinking about the double meaning behind the movie title…..not only a call back to the TV show but also being the fall guy for a crime cover up.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

I planned on seeing it as a day off matinee. With the original TV Fall Guy a knock off of Burt Reynolds' as Hooper with a mix of then a first era of bounty hunter chic after the westerns died. I was surprised the bounty hunter part seemed to be left out, But I guess this century's bounty hunter chic phase died 15 years ago.

Lee Majors in his second staring run show, the one that he was not remembered for and the other Heather of the era I can't recall the last time it was syndicated. As a recall the original already had a lot of comic touches so turning it into a comedy as was done with 21/22 Jump Streets, Starsky and Hutch, CHiPs and Baywatch also probably gets you nowhere for the middle aged folks who remember the 80s.
When I was a kid watching the show I thought Lee Majors as Colt Seavers was just about the coolest dude in the world. It's funny to think but Lee Majors was around the same age when the Fall Guy started that Ryan Gosling is now, but he looked like a much more mature and tough individual. In fact, he looked like he was plugged straight from the old West, and I guess in a way the show was a Western set in the 80s.

You're correct that bounty hunting was actually the dominant aspect of the show - after all being a stuntman on its own isn't really TV show material. That was kind of an 80s TV trope - people chasing criminals in unusual setups and configurations.

This actually just reminded me that we already had an ultra-cool portrayal of a stuntman in a major picture not too long ago. Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. And Brad Pitt definitely captured the raw machismo and edgy coolness of it (and of course was very funny as well). I haven't seen the Fall Guy movie, but that's a high bar to clear.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
the other Heather of the era I can't recall
Heather Thomas. No self-respecting teenage boy in the '80s did not have her poster on the wall.

Old Today, 07:41 AM

19,887 posts, read 9,437,343 times
I was turned off by the trailer, so I didn't go. It just seemed "dumb", no 'chemistry' between the leads (as others have mentioned), and not funny at all, imo.

I saw "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Behavior" instead, and I thought it was 'okay' and funnier than I expected based on the reviews, but VERY violent -- one of the most violent movies I have ever seen.

Btw, speaking of trailers, I think I will also past on "Twisters 2" -- it seems like just a remake of the first one, but not as good.

Old Today, 11:13 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,927,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I wonder if it was the hoards of men that subconsciously didn't want to watch Gosling because it reminds them of the "overhyped" Barbie movie.
I'm unclear how Fall Guy relates to Barbie other than having the same male actor. I'm also unclear how one movie being hyped (which it was, but it was also a very well done movie) would make one not want to see an entirely different movie just because they shared an actor.

Now, if someone really just disliked Gosling period, I could see them not seeing either movie. But other than that, this feels like a pretty big stretch.

Old Today, 01:33 PM

968 posts, read 577,931 times
I'll wait for this one on streaming.

Old Today, 02:53 PM

12,410 posts, read 8,194,844 times
It was okay. The bad guys having superheroes levels of durability had me wondering how they returned to the fighting. A lot of audible cues pointed to old TV and movie references. Calling back to the third and forth chapters of John Wick was my favorites. There is a mid credit sequence worth staying for.

Old Today, 05:47 PM

829 posts, read 454,543 times
Nothing will top Godzilla and Kong!!!

I love those movies. The big green guy is the best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB840a_qEpQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies