Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:49 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times

Advertisements

There have been quite a few great biopics over the years. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, OPPENHEIMER, WALK THE LINE, RAY, GHANDI, CHAPLIN, BASS REEVES, THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY....

So who are we missing? What historic figure had a life so interesting or so moving that it would make a great screen drama? There are a few where I am shocked no one has given them the biopic treatment. What am I missing?

CHRISTOPHER LEE
Read this guy's life story. It is wilder than any fiction. The most interesting man in the world was not some old coot selling bad beer. It was Christopher Lee. https://www.badassoftheweek.com/christopherlee

JIM CROCE
If there was ever a rags to riches love story cut short by heart-rending tragedy, it is the life story of Jim Croce.

JOHN BELUSHI
There is actually a really great documentary about Belushi on SHOWTIME. But he's never had the biopic treatment.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
I know various actors have played him onscreen over the years, but there has never been a definitive drama of his life. I kind of understand why. There is no way to do the man justice in even a 4 hour epic movie. This would really need to be an HBO miniseries. His childhood alone would make a great season 1 drama. But you could easily fill seven or eight season with the eras of his life.

BOUDICCA
The Romans murdered her family. She raised the Britons and went to war.

SAINT IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA
Imagine if Inigo Montoya of THE PRINCESS BRIDE decided to lay down his sword and devote his life to God. You'll have an inkling what this story would be like.

QUANAH PARKER
The story of his mother's abduction was highly fictionalized in John Ford's THE SEARCHERS, but the man who was arguably the greatest American Indian chief has never had his lifestory told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 09:44 AM

23,493 posts, read 44,162,595 times
Mae West - my fascination with her is boundless.

Margaret Mitchell - there is so much that the average fan of GWTW doesn't know about her.

Eleanor Roosevelt - no justification necessary.

Eleanor of Aquitaine - In her time, she was arguably one of the most powerful people in Europe.

Captain James Cook - His numerous explorations changed the world in a multitude of ways. He was also one of the most complex men I've ever studied.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:44 AM

2,987 posts, read 1,757,171 times
At the risk of glorifying this murdering madman, i'd be interested in seeing a well made biopic about Eric Robert Rudolph.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Eleanor of Aquitaine - In her time, she was arguably one of the most powerful people in Europe.
Although it certainly isn't a biopic by any stretch, check LION IN WINTER if you never have. Eleanor of Aquitaine isn't the main character, but she is the star along with Peter O'Toole as Henry, a very young Anthony Hopkins as Richard, and an all out great cast in a brilliantly written movie.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:21 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
I'm not a big fan of biopics for a couple of reasons - when you put one in front of the population, they start to confuse it with reality. As someone who tries to understand history, that becomes so much static and a muck to wade through in trying to understand the real individual. Secondly, these are by definition biased views of a person, where the earned fame is used as a source of income for someone else.

That said, a real biopic of Vlad the Impaler could be interesting.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Although it certainly isn't a biopic by any stretch, check LION IN WINTER if you never have. Eleanor of Aquitaine isn't the main character, but she is the star along with Peter O'Toole as Henry, a very young Anthony Hopkins as Richard, and an all out great cast in a brilliantly written movie.
I have seen it (and loved Hepburn's performance), but it's really no more than a fictionalization of a very specific moment in her life. In truth, Henry II never released her from prison for Christmas; she remained there until his death.
Her story is fascinating; she was crowned Queen of France and England (on separate occasions) and despite seriously falling out of favor with both of her husbands survived to a ripe old age. She was also a celebrated beauty of her time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine

Old 04-23-2024, 12:41 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
I was recently reading an article about someone who led a really interesting life, and thought, "they should make a movie about this guy!" but I've completely blanked on who it was. That said, there are a lot of regular, unsung folks who fly under the radar whose stories would be amazing to tell, but as others have mentioned, they'd be bulked up and changed for dramatic purposes.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm not a big fan of biopics for a couple of reasons - when you put one in front of the population, they start to confuse it with reality. As someone who tries to understand history, that becomes so much static and a muck to wade through in trying to understand the real individual. Secondly, these are by definition biased views of a person, where the earned fame is used as a source of income for someone else.

That said, a real biopic of Vlad the Impaler could be interesting.
I so agree. And a biopic of Vlad Tepes would be fascinating, but writers: Kindly defang him before you proceed.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:49 PM

848 posts, read 781,091 times
First name that came to me was Jeff Lynne, the genius behind the Electric Light Orchestra, as well as member of the Traveling Wilburys, produced the Beatles Anthology project, as well as writing and producing songs for dozens of artists. Knew or knows everyone in the business.

Hope to see him again this Fall…..calling America

Old 04-24-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of biopics for a couple of reasons - when you put one in front of the population, they start to confuse it with reality. As someone who tries to understand history, that becomes so much static and a muck to wade through in trying to understand the real individual.
True enough. A biopic --- or any movie or TV show inspired by real people --- first and foremost needs to succeed as a drama, or no one is going to watch it. I love TOMBSTONE or even BRAVEHEART as much as anyone --- as entertainment. As history? They are both pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
Secondly, these are by definition biased views of a person, where the earned fame is used as a source of income for someone else.
Also true. But I have also read history books where there was obviously a VERY strong bias. Ever read A WORLD LIT ONLY BY FIRE? One of my college history teachers made it required reading for all her classes. Mostly because it confirmed her own biases. But as objective history, it's bunk. I had another history teacher who recommended HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL to all his students, and that one is just a tiny trip above THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER in terms of being good history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies