Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:39 AM

23,471 posts, read 44,121,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Also surprised no one has mentioned Julia Roberts since some older names were brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjNEWGqxJQ
I love Julia, but I've never thought of her in that context. To me she's more of an Everywoman. Elegance and sophistication require some measure of hauteur (think Catherine Deneuve, whom I can't believe I haven't thought of until now); I don't think this comes naturally to her; she played an enormously wealthy power broker in Charlie Wilson's War, but in my opinion was out of her element in the role.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi4005363993/?ref_=tt_vi_i_2

Re: Your earlier post...Claire Forlani is exquisite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 04:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I love Julia, but I've never thought of her in that context. To me she's more of an Everywoman.
I agree. She's very pretty, a good actress & cleans up nicely for the Oscars, but I don't think of her as sophisticated or elegant. For example, she doesn't walk gracefully in heels. She's more down home, girl next door to me.

Quote:
Re: Your earlier post...Claire Forlani is exquisite.
Yes, Claire is gorgeous. I've just never seen her in anything since Basquiat (one of my guilty pleasure, left-of-mainstream flicks) so I left her out... wasn't sure anyone knew her, tbh.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:17 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The Devil Wears Prada? Sicario?

But yeah, she can do anything.
Loved her in both those movies. She was also amazing in The English.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Yes, Claire is gorgeous. I've just never seen her in anything since Basquiat (one of my guilty pleasure, left-of-mainstream flicks) so I left her out... wasn't sure anyone knew her, tbh.
I couldn't take my eyes off of her in Meet Joe Black, and could fully understand Brad Pitt coming back from the dead for her.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119643/?ref_=nm_knf_t_1

And she was definitely the saving grace in an otherwise mediocre film, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius. She played Jones' wife, Mary Malone.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375104...ke%2520of%2520

Old 04-21-2024, 07:25 PM

183 posts, read 105,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Kristin Scott Thomas
Charlize Theron
Carey Mulligan
I really don't think we need to look much further.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffer View Post
I really don't think we need to look much further.
Yes, shall we break it down?

Gosford Park
The English Patient
Four Weddings and a Funeral

Darkest Hour (playing Churchill's wife, for Heaven's sake)
The Other Boleyn Girl
Arsene Lupin
(playing a countess, no less)

I mean, she must hold the record for playing the most characters with an honorific in front of their name. She is the go-to for this kind of role because exuding elegance is like breathing to her.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:30 AM

11,511 posts, read 6,027,599 times
None of the above.

There are no elegant leading ladies in today's DEI Hollywood. There is no Myrna Loy, Ingrid Bergman, or Grace Kelly. It is not a priority for Hollywood today. It is more about women as warriors and super heroes and such.

Jessica Chastain for example, could be an elegant leading lady if they wanted her to be but that is not the roles today.

I always thought that Debra Messing would be perfect for it, but again no roles, really. It is not an image they want to project.

Every once in a while, Angelina Jolie would come close.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:55 AM

I automatically think of pre-World War II, hence Myrna Loy and Ingrid Bergman.

It made me wonder when the type of the elegant leading lady went away. 1970s? 1990s? When?

I mentioned Grace Kelly. She was 1950s and 1960s. How about Audrey Hepburn and Maureen O'Hara. Julie Christie and Jaqueline Bisset.

The 1970s get more earthy. The above actresses were aging but you have Faye Dunnaway and Anne Bancroft. Suzanne Pleshette. Katharine Ross. Jane Seymour.

1980s. Again, elegance was not particularly a big thing but you have Michelle Pfieffer, Rebecca De Mornay, Brooke Shields. I think even maybe Ellen Barkin and Demi Moore.

Post 2000, who really maintains that standard?

Old 04-22-2024, 07:12 AM

Also, mature does not equal elegance. Elegance has to do with a certain projection of sophistication and charm. It is not something that just comes with age. It is not a look, it is a personality trait. It is how a person carries themselves. For example, Katherine Hepburn had that while Amy Adams does not, she is earthy. I love Amy Adams and she is a great girl-next-door type and has that cute charm, but doesn't pull off "elegant".

I don't think women are raised that way anymore and probably not since before the 1970s.

Times change. But then I am an old fart, so there is that.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:24 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
None of the above.

There are no elegant leading ladies in today's DEI Hollywood. There is no Myrna Loy, Ingrid Bergman, or Grace Kelly. It is not a priority for Hollywood today. It is more about women as warriors and super heroes and such.

Jessica Chastain for example, could be an elegant leading lady if they wanted her to be but that is not the roles today.

I always thought that Debra Messing would be perfect for it, but again no roles, really. It is not an image they want to project.

Every once in a while, Angelina Jolie would come close.
Keep in mind that Hollywood controlled the actors and actresses many mention very closely. They were told what to do when the studio wanted them to do it. Today, actors control their lives and are no longer beholden to one studio for decades or unceremoniously dumped when the studio was done with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies