Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 02:52 PM

32,116 posts, read 34,753,293 times

Advertisements

Perhaps "distinguished" is a better word than elegant. Lest anyone think I'm pigeon-holing actresses into these rigid notions of femininity, I think we could also say that they have several male counterparts who display a version of masculine charm. Among these I would say are Sean Connery (R.I.P.), Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier and maybe even Theo James, if we're talking modern actors. These are people who bring a certain degree of class and sophistication to nearly every role they play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 06:25 PM

23,471 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What do you all think about Emily Blunt? I can't think of her playing any roles where she was potty-mouthed or crass.
The Devil Wears Prada? Sicario?

But yeah, she can do anything.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Meryl Streep.
Candace Bergen.

We watched both of them in "Let Them All Talk."

Jessica Chastain.
Natalie Portman.
Julianne Moore.
Michelle Pfeiffer.
Michelle Yeoh.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:16 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,965 times
Kristin Scott Thomas
Charlize Theron
Carey Mulligan

Old 04-18-2024, 12:01 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times
I can't think of any younger actresses that fit the bill but I'd add Kristen Scott Thomas & Faye Dunaway to the list.

I think it's easier to think of actresses from many decades ago as sophisticated or elegant as those were the roles they played & it was different times... they all even appeared in public glammed up, not wearing next to nothing outfits we've become accustomed to today.

Sharon Stone's played a prostitute in at least 2-3 movies I can think of (comparing her styling in the films to glamorous roles played by Grace Kelly & her era's counterparts) & some actresses don't glam up for roles but glam down, like Charleze Theron in Monster, who even gained 35-lbs, had her hair thinned out & roots darkened & wore prosthetic pieces on her face to give the illusion of blotchy skin. Nicole Kidman did the same (aside from weight gain) to look like a blotchy-skinned boy in a bad wig covered in dust in the movie, Destroyer.

I think of Monica Bellucci as glamorous. Also, Cate Blanchette.

Some actresses are pretty, but always look a fright in public, like Drew Barrymore & Charlotte Rampling to a lesser degree, who's always in baggy boyish clothes.

Old 04-18-2024, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Nicole Kidman did the same (aside from weight gain) to look like a blotchy-skinned boy in a bad wig covered in dust in the movie, Destroyer.
She also rendered herself unrecognizable (through prosthetics) playing the wrirer Virginia Woolf in The Hours.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...6192&FORM=VIRE

Old 04-19-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Kristin Scott Thomas
Charlize Theron
Carey Mulligan
Hell yes to the bolded. And Mulligan's role in Maestro legitimized her ability to convey elegance.

Two more mentions:

Andie McDowell
Michelle Williams (Gwen Verdon in Fosse/Verdon), Gail Getty Harris in All The Money In The World)

I think that the actresses that have a background in dance training (particularly ballet) pull this off particularly well. Look at icons of elegance such as Audrey Hepburn, Leslie Caron and Cyd Charisse. Many of the actresses mentioned in this thread have this attribute as well.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM

Another to be added to the list is Rachel McAdams, even though she has not worked consistently. We all kind of forgot about her, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ5Kwo5Xd1M

Old 04-19-2024, 11:06 AM

Claire Forlani has exuded elegance in every role she's ever played. She's supposed to be a working-class, "unpolished" waitress in BASQUIAT but the elegance still shines through. It's like Fred Rogers pretending to be a tough guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvHja7vtoU&t=51s

Old 04-19-2024, 11:15 AM

Also surprised no one has mentioned Julia Roberts since some older names were brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjNEWGqxJQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies