Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 12:06 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,791,059 times

Advertisements

Battlefield Earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 02:20 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
I've mentioned this before on here, it's The Family Stone. My mother and I went to see it on Christmas Day back in 2005. I still remember how bad it was. Childish, stupid, tedious drama, boring... I turned to my mother after about 20-30 minutes and said "Ready?" Yep, we walked out. Had a lot of good actors with name recognition, they must have done it for the money.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
AT the cinema? Easy: "only when I laugh" (yeah, im a bit older than most of you)
Oh, that was horrible. It was before my time but I streamed it recently on Amazon Prime. Blech.
And casting Joan Hackett as some femme fatale beauty. Oh... that was one bad movie.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:21 PM

17,405 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Halloween 3 Season of the Witch - went to see this on Halloween night and, ugh, what a let down. Awful.

The first two were so good - what the heck?!?! I'm still bitter about wasting money on that.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think you meant WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES. That is the one with Woody Harrelson. KINGDOM doesn't actually come out till next month.

I have only seen WAR once, but as I remember I had much the same reaction. I really liked the first two movies in this franchise. But WftPotA? Like you said: Great cinematography. Great special effects. Acting was good. But I was so bored through most of the movie. How can a movie about a maniacal Woody Harrelson fighting talking apes be so unrelentingly uninteresting? I don't know. But it was.

But maybe I need to rewatch it. Because I did really like the first two movies alot.
I sit corrected then. War for the PA, you are right. We kept looking at the clock and then said to each other... what were we thinking and why did we not change the channel?

Old 04-18-2024, 04:56 PM

11,526 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Without a doubt STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE.

What an unholy mess of tangled celluloid. George Lucas at his worst, trying to tell 5 stories simultaneously with 5 viewpoint characters all vying for the lead role. What a disaster. You don't have 5 plots running in parallel, and confuse the audience completely over what the movie is about. You have a main plot with 4 interwoven subplots. You need a MAIN character in the story. All others are supporting characters, even if they are vital and play an equal role. You still need a main viewpoint character to carry the plot, unless you are doing a slice of life type movie about a group.

Jar Jar Binks. Nuff said!

FWIW, I intentionally have not set foot in a movie theater since suffering throught "War of the Worlds" in 2005. I completely gave up on Hollywood at that point. No way I was going to pay $10 or $15 for a terrible movie I had to walk out on.

FWIW, every time the aliens were in a scene in War of the Worlds, it was mostly awesome. Every other moment of the movie stunk most putridly.

I know that there have been far, far worse movies than The Phantom Menace, but I intentionally isolated myself from most of them, although I began the first 10 minutes of quite a few while Netflix still was sending out DVD discs by mail.

I was usually selective and did pretty good research to really vette if I would like a movie, before watching it in a theater. Invites and dates usually resulted in the worst movies, since I was at the mercy of others. By 2005, everything was so flipping bad, I just gave up trying to find anything good. Oh, there were scattered gems, but I wasn't going to bother at that point.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:49 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
The very worst of the worst? It's even legendary. Look it up on YouTube!

The Meanest Men in the West! I saw it in one of the big old movie theaters in Europe in the 1990. I just wanted to watch a good Western on a huge screen. The director was Sam Fuller, and Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson were the stars, so how bad could it be? Except it wasn't a real movie, it was two totally unrelated episodes of The Virginian stitched together with flipped, repeated scenes and a ridiculous narrative, apparently released abroad. Marvin and Bronson aren't even together in any scenes. Quite hilarious, actually.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:57 AM

3,990 posts, read 2,365,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Without a doubt STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE.

What an unholy mess of tangled celluloid. George Lucas at his worst, trying to tell 5 stories simultaneously with 5 viewpoint characters all vying for the lead role. What a disaster. You don't have 5 plots running in parallel, and confuse the audience completely over what the movie is about. You have a main plot with 4 interwoven subplots. You need a MAIN character in the story. All others are supporting characters, even if they are vital and play an equal role. You still need a main viewpoint character to carry the plot, unless you are doing a slice of life type movie about a group.

Jar Jar Binks. Nuff said!

FWIW, I intentionally have not set foot in a movie theater since suffering throught "War of the Worlds" in 2005. I completely gave up on Hollywood at that point. No way I was going to pay $10 or $15 for a terrible movie I had to walk out on.

FWIW, every time the aliens were in a scene in War of the Worlds, it was mostly awesome. Every other moment of the movie stunk most putridly.

I know that there have been far, far worse movies than The Phantom Menace, but I intentionally isolated myself from most of them, although I began the first 10 minutes of quite a few while Netflix still was sending out DVD discs by mail.

I was usually selective and did pretty good research to really vette if I would like a movie, before watching it in a theater. Invites and dates usually resulted in the worst movies, since I was at the mercy of others. By 2005, everything was so flipping bad, I just gave up trying to find anything good. Oh, there were scattered gems, but I wasn't going to bother at that point.
That was Tom Cruise right? I think the best part of the movie was when they started zapping the crap out of the humans when they started to plant their alien pods. I always go to that part. Like you said, the rest was "meh." Notting Hill was the worst. One of our early date movies with my girlfriend (now Mrs. QL). We both fell asleep on it in the theatre. Even when it comes on tv on occasion, we never watch the whole thing. During that time, we wanted to see Austin Powers but it was sold out. Settled on Notting Hill that night. To this day, we don't know the plot of this movie. Only know Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant were the leads.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:22 PM

184 posts, read 105,556 times
A film titled Paws. The things you do for your kids!

Old 04-23-2024, 08:30 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,646,271 times
Rock of Ages

Ugh.

While I love the music of that era, and I normally love Tom Cruise, this movie was absolutely atrocious. Awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies