Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:21 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,244,562 times

Advertisements

We watched Civil War this evening. I don't feel right saying that we "enjoyed it", but it was a good movie. I won't spoil or review it, but the movie expertly avoided confirmation bias. We never felt like there was a right or wrong side. It was easy to see ourselves inserted into some of the situations or events.

It was one of the most engaging movies that we have watched in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 04:40 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
We watched Civil War this evening. I don't feel right saying that we "enjoyed it", but it was a good movie. I won't spoil or review it, but the movie expertly avoided confirmation bias. We never felt like there was a right or wrong side. It was easy to see ourselves inserted into some of the situations or events.

It was one of the most engaging movies that we have watched in a while.
I made the mistake of watching it while having a head ache, so ill have to rewatch it .

As you said I don't remember anything overtly political except for the one line at the beginning of the movie right before they get to the gas station, but even that could technically be neutral.

Lake of a backstory was part of the mystique, but I always see that as lazy writing. I liked Jericho(TV show on CBS), same premise, didn't lean left or right, just told a story, but I got a breakdown there of "how we got here"

I also must say, people overhyped it for me.

In and of itself, Ill give it a 7/10, probably will be slightly higher after a rewatch.

Lastly, Ron Swanson without his beard is just seems weird.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,098,417 times
worth a watch. too many plot holes. UK director doesn’t seem to know the history of USA that makes this future makes sense

Old 04-14-2024, 11:52 AM

7,027 posts, read 2,726,954 times
This review sums it up.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...mp-snuff-film/

Old 04-14-2024, 04:57 PM

19,838 posts, read 9,402,929 times
I was considering seeing this, and I checked out a few of the review sites, reading at least 24 individual reviews, and generally speaking, leftists like it and righties don't. I think that should tell people something.

Btw, it seems the MAIN objections were plot holes, little explanation as to what happened, and bad acting. Despite anyone's political leanings, I think those three things are enough to make most people pass, and I will be one of those people. It will be interesting to see what it does at the box office, though

Last edited by katharsis; 04-14-2024 at 05:22 PM..

Old 04-14-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Thats a horrible article.

"once I heard he dispanded the FBI and shot journalists, I thought I was supposed to be on his side"
"why doesn't the president just nuke California"

jesus

Old 04-15-2024, 09:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,195,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats a horrible article.

"once I heard he dispanded the FBI and shot journalists, I thought I was supposed to be on his side"
"why doesn't the president just nuke California"

jesus
I agree, terrible article. When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was someone fanning the flames of civil war to try and make a quick buck off the current political environment. The movie was not that at all. It was more of a "war is hell" and "there are no good guys" kind of message. This is evident in the scene:
Spoiler
with the sniper. You don't know what side the sniper is on. They had killed him because the sniper was trying to kill them.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I agree, terrible article. When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was someone fanning the flames of civil war to try and make a quick buck off the current political environment. The movie was not that at all. It was more of a "war is hell" and "there are no good guys" kind of message. This is evident in the scene:
Spoiler
with the sniper. You don't know what side the sniper is on. They had killed him because the sniper was trying to kill them.
Yea. the person who wrote/directed the movie explained why he had California and Texas team up. He said they are the 2 largest and most independent states by overall infrastructure. Both could have ideological differences with the federal government and still be ok. And that both could have those differences and still think the president killing Americans is wrong and team up .

Old 04-16-2024, 05:37 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I made the mistake of watching it while having a head ache, so ill have to rewatch it .

As you said I don't remember anything overtly political except for the one line at the beginning of the movie right before they get to the gas station, but even that could technically be neutral.

Lake of a backstory was part of the mystique, but I always see that as lazy writing. I liked Jericho(TV show on CBS), same premise, didn't lean left or right, just told a story, but I got a breakdown there of "how we got here"

I also must say, people overhyped it for me.

In and of itself, Ill give it a 7/10, probably will be slightly higher after a rewatch.

Lastly, Ron Swanson without his beard is just seems weird.
He's awesome, I thought he did a great job in another apocalyptic series "The last of us" , he played a prepper guy that survived on his own.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:30 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,314,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
The movie was not that at all. It was more of a "war is hell" and "there are no good guys" kind of message.
Hey, CIVIL WAR, welcome to the party! You're only about 40+ years late.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies