Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 08:41 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure how to title the thread, but this thread was prompted by my husband's bewilderment at why I like "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part II" so much when I hate violent movies. I can't stand ANY war movies or any movies that are frequently gory, but I can watch The Godfather I and II over and over again -- I probably have watched each of those at least ten times!

I am not sure what I am asking or what opinions I am seeking, but what other "violent" movies that go beyond the violence do you find fascinating? (And for "bonus points", WHY do you find them to be so fascinating?)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-13-2024 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 10:43 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Interesting coincidence, as I'm currently reading No Country For Old Men for the third or fourth time and have watched the movie at least six times. Both are well done. I found the book narrative to be much more violent and offensive than the movie.

I enjoy movies & stories with deep plots and defined characters that devolve into inescapable chaos, the kind where everybody dies or gets sucked into the chaos and doesn't have a good outcome.

I don't like gore or flat-out violence either, but rather stories where there's some sort of plan or intention for gain or reward, and it all goes wrong.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:30 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Taxi Driver seems to be the most obvious answer. Known for its graphically violent climax, it's really more a study of a combat vet's struggle to re-integrate into society, made all the more difficult by the alienating and dysfunctional urban landscape that was 1970s New York, where it was sometimes difficult to spot the difference between "normal" society and "crazy."

Old 03-14-2024, 05:06 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Interesting coincidence, as I'm currently reading No Country For Old Men for the third or fourth time and have watched the movie at least six times. Both are well done. I found the book narrative to be much more violent and offensive than the movie.

I enjoy movies & stories with deep plots and defined characters that devolve into inescapable chaos, the kind where everybody dies or gets sucked into the chaos and doesn't have a good outcome.

I don't like gore or flat-out violence either, but rather stories where there's some sort of plan or intention for gain or reward, and it all goes wrong.
This is truly a coincidence, but I just ordered both the book and movie of No Country for Old Men yesterday after seeing the movie trailer on another C-D trailer! (I am a fan of both Tommy Lee Jones and Tess Harper.)

Old 03-14-2024, 06:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
... what other "violent" movies that go beyond the violence do you find fascinating? (And for "bonus points", WHY do you find them to be so fascinating?)
EASTERN PROMISES. It is violent at times. In fact, it has one of the most brutal fight scenes I have ever seen in a movie. But it also has great characters. The hero sometimes has to do bad things. The bad guys are sometimes ... well, if not entirely sympathetic, then at least pitiable.

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL. A great noir detective story that is filmed bright and sunny. The three heroes actually all hate each other, but each has his own reason to keep chasing the case until they are forced to work together. This is the movie that made Russell Crowe a star, and he totally deserved it. I think it also won Kim Basinger a bunch of awards, and she is indeed fantastic in the movie. It's probably the best role she ever had. And despite being a rather grim crime story, it is surprsingly funny at times.

FARGO. Maybe the funniest black comedy ever made. It's hard to like the main bad guy in this movie, but he is never boring. The violence does indeed make you wince when it happens, but you'll find yourself laughing thirty seconds later --- sometimes at the very thing that just made you wince.

JACKIE BROWN. I still say it is Tarantino's best movie. Very dark and violent at times, but also hilariously funny throughout. And all the characters are so likeable --- the good guys, the bad guys, and those that fall in between. I remember when Ebert reviewed this movie, he said something like, "I want to hang out with these characters all day. I did not want this movie to end." Well said, sir.

THE DEPARTED. Violent at times, as are many Scorsese movies, but it is the characters that keep you watching. And one of the all-time great endings of a crime movie.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:12 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I liked the movie quite a lot, but the book is sheer genius. The movie didn't quite capture all the depth of theme and character that is in the book.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:43 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
EASTERN PROMISES. It is violent at times. In fact, it has one of the most brutal fight scenes I have ever seen in a movie. But it also has great characters. The hero sometimes has to do bad things. The bad guys are sometimes ... well, if not entirely sympathetic, then at least pitiable.
I was thinking the other Cronenberg - Viggo film: A History of Violence.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is truly a coincidence, but I just ordered both the book and movie of No Country for Old Men yesterday after seeing the movie trailer on another C-D trailer! (I am a fan of both Tommy Lee Jones and Tess Harper.)
Wow! And I'm sure you intend to read the book first, right? I always prefer to do it in that order, mostly as a curiosity over how closely the movie follows the book.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:43 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I have less than zero interest in war movies, but I do watch all the movies nominated for Best Picture each year. So I begrudgingly watched Hacksaw Ridge back in 2016. It was actually a very interesting story of a man who enlisted right after Pearl Harbor to be a medic in the Army, but as a pacifist, he refused to carry a gun. His refusal to carry got him court martialed, but the charges were dropped because his pacifism is Constitutionally protected. He ends up getting deployed and involved in the Battle of Okinawa.

It was a VERY bloody film, but very interesting.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:07 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Joker. And some of the best acting I've ever seen in such a role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies