Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 10:56 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
As an aside, lane splitting became formally illegal in Texas on September 1st.
I knew TX was a little 'different' but for them to actually go in the opposite direction on this is baffling to say the least. Multiple states are working on legalizing the lane-sharing, probably following UT's way instead of CA.

Unless it is legal wherever that occurred or he did it momentarily to avoid a collision or something life-threatening, as noted by others, it is quite dangerous for multiple reasons.

Riding on the shoulder is a completely different case than general lane-sharing so should not even be compared in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
TX allows and even encourages 'shoulder driving' for a vehicle that is being passed.

Even if there is a legal passing zone, a Texas pickup will expect to force an auto onto the shoulder to get past.

Really dangerous for pedestrians, bicyclists, breakdowns, and escape routes. (and motorcycles)

We've had over 10 'shoulder' fatalities in the last 2 yrs in our small Texas town (including 6 motorcyclists).

For Texas... It's just 'collateral damage'. (Highest traffic deaths in USA) ~4500/yr
Texas Roadway and Crash Statistics
  • Although 19,448 people suffered serious injuries,
  • 239,539 people were injured in traffic crashes.
  • Single-vehicle, run-off-the-road crashes, resulted in 1,550 deaths (34.53% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths)
  • 613 people died in head-on crashes.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:34 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
No, not legal. Some areas allow transit busses to drive on the shoulder, but I'm pretty sure no where is it legal for motorcycles to do it.

Lane splitting is legal in some states though, which is when a motorcycle drives on the dotted line inbetween the lanes.
Either one is daunting to other drivers and intimidating.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
TX allows and even encourages 'shoulder driving' for a vehicle that is being passed.
Wait...wut? Lane-sharing is illegal but they are OK with shoulder driving???

Only in TX!

Old 09-07-2023, 06:40 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Today I saw a motorcycle pass vehicles on the shoulder. This was a two lane state highway. Guy pulled to the shoulder and passed several vehicles.
It's only "legal" if the bike has a forward facing red light and a siren. The rider must have at least 1 gun and a badge.

Otherwise, NOPE.

In this state, you can only advance IF you have at least 2 lanes in the same direction of travel. But, that's this State....

Old 09-15-2023, 09:07 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times
Quote:
As an aside, lane splitting became formally illegal in Texas on September 1st.

Zipping down the shoulder should be proof the motorcycle rider is legally insane.

Dang! When I moved to TX a year ago, there was talk that TX might approve lane-splitting, or filtering as some call it. I grew up in CA, where it is legal, and it's great! Here in TX, I have to force myself not to slide up to red lights and stop signs between long rows of cars.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Dang! When I moved to TX a year ago, there was talk that TX might approve lane-splitting, or filtering as some call it. I grew up in CA, where it is legal, and it's great! Here in TX, I have to force myself not to slide up to red lights and stop signs between long rows of cars.
When going between stopped cars, I call it lane filtering because that is exactly what you are doing, filtering thru non-moving vehicles to get ahead and also, more importantly, avoiding getting rear-ended. Because of that last point, it is idiotic for any State to make it illegal but there are bunch that still do.

Regardless, you are in a State that technically doesn't have a law stopping you from lane sharing/filtering (kinda like pre Nov 2017 California):
https://missionlegalcenter.com/blog/...lowing-states/

You are welcome!

PS. I am glad it is legal to lane filter and lane-share in AZ even though it can, legally only be done in traffic moving slower than 45 mph. It is still way better than nothing!

Old 09-18-2023, 07:48 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
When going between stopped cars, I call it lane filtering because that is exactly what you are doing, filtering thru non-moving vehicles to get ahead and also, more importantly, avoiding getting rear-ended. Because of that last point, it is idiotic for any State to make it illegal but there are bunch that still do.

Regardless, you are in a State that technically doesn't have a law stopping you from lane sharing/filtering (kinda like pre Nov 2017 California):
https://missionlegalcenter.com/blog/...lowing-states/

You are welcome!

PS. I am glad it is legal to lane filter and lane-share in AZ even though it can, legally only be done in traffic moving slower than 45 mph. It is still way better than nothing!
The linked blog is out of date. Effective September 1, 2023, lane splitting and filtering by motorcycles is illegal in Texas. Texas Transportation Code 545.0605

Sec. 545.0605. OPERATION OF MOTORCYCLES ON ROADWAY LANED FOR TRAFFIC. (a) The operator of a motorcycle:

(1) is entitled to full use of a lane and, except as otherwise provided by Subdivision (2), a motor vehicle may not be driven in a manner that deprives a motorcycle of the full use of a lane;

(2) may operate the motorcycle two abreast in a single lane with another motorcycle; and

(3) may not;

(A) operate the motorcycle more than two abreast in a single lane with other motorcycles;

(B) operate the motorcycle between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction; or

(C) pass a motor vehicle while in the same lane as the vehicle being passed.

(b) Subsection (a)(3) does not apply to a police officer in the performance of the officer's official duties.

Added by Acts 2023, 88th Leg., R.S., Ch. 756 (H.B. 4122), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2023.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:06 AM

1,097 posts, read 643,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Someone really needs to ask if it is legal or dangerous? smh
You would think right? After reading this thread, I learned that riding between cars is legal in some states. I don't ride, but riding on the shoulder seems MUCH safer than lane splitting.

Old 09-20-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The linked blog is out of date. Effective September 1, 2023, lane splitting and filtering by motorcycles is illegal in Texas. Texas Transportation Code 545.0605

Sec. 545.0605. OPERATION OF MOTORCYCLES ON ROADWAY LANED FOR TRAFFIC. (a) The operator of a motorcycle:

(1) is entitled to full use of a lane and, except as otherwise provided by Subdivision (2), a motor vehicle may not be driven in a manner that deprives a motorcycle of the full use of a lane;

(2) may operate the motorcycle two abreast in a single lane with another motorcycle; and

(3) may not;

(A) operate the motorcycle more than two abreast in a single lane with other motorcycles;

(B) operate the motorcycle between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction; or

(C) pass a motor vehicle while in the same lane as the vehicle being passed.

(b) Subsection (a)(3) does not apply to a police officer in the performance of the officer's official duties.

Added by Acts 2023, 88th Leg., R.S., Ch. 756 (H.B. 4122), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2023.
Yeah, I noticed your earlier post and my response to it afterwards. I still do not understand their logic or argument against it to actually pass it as a law. TX is special, truly.

Well, sucks for the riders who live there!
Still, if in danger or to avoid collision, you can always lane share/split/filter or even use the shoulder. So, there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles