Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 116,467 times

Advertisements

I wonder if I get the property with a loan owned occupied, and rent the house.
How picky is the bank with that?? is that possible? does people do that? How hard they are going to hit me??
A consideration to take is that is the only property I would have.
Always considering that I'm on time with payments and no problems with the house!
could someone comment on this based on experience?
Thank you

Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
This is clear cut case of fraud. The intent of about half a dozen documents that you sign when you borrow money to buy a house is to reassure the lender and the secondary market that you are not a landlord who has about a 30x greater default rate than run-of-the-mill owner/occupants...

Worst case the lender calls your loan and asks a Federal prosecutor to charge you with fraud. (though honestly the odds of that are remote...)

More likely the lender may find out that you are not in fact living in the place, force you to refinance at non-owner occupied rates (which are about 2.00 percentage points higher) AND require you to come up with a MUCH more substantial downpayment.

Insurancce could get messed up / denied.

Not really worth the risk if you have any other options...

Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

278 posts, read 577,524 times
If the bank has a proper appraisal done you would be quickly found out.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,834,376 times
As said on your previous thread with the same question, THIS IS MORTGAGE FRAUD plain and simple.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
This is clear cut case of fraud. The intent of about half a dozen documents that you sign when you borrow money to buy a house is to reassure the lender and the secondary market that you are not a landlord who has about a 30x greater default rate than run-of-the-mill owner/occupants...

Worst case the lender calls your loan and asks a Federal prosecutor to charge you with fraud. (though honestly the odds of that are remote...)

More likely the lender may find out that you are not in fact living in the place, force you to refinance at non-owner occupied rates (which are about 2.00 percentage points higher) AND require you to come up with a MUCH more substantial downpayment.

Insurancce could get messed up / denied.

Not really worth the risk if you have any other options...
It might be a "clear cut" case of fraud, but it doesn't seem to be prosecuted at all in my area.

The former owner of my home signed three "owner occupied" fannie-mae mortgages with the same lender on the same day, at the same title office. He ended up losing two of them to foreclosure, no doubt he got a "loan mod" on the third - I haven't read his name in the paper as of yet for loan fraud, but we can hope, right?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:35 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,846,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
As said on your previous thread with the same question, THIS IS MORTGAGE FRAUD plain and simple.
This is the best answer to the OP's question and, with that, I'm closing the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages