Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
I'd really like to see something different around here. Kroger seems to have regressed and cut their offerings. The STC Kroger was a great store, but now half of it is a Starbucks that nobody goes to and wine.
What was axed? Organics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 PM

456 posts, read 602,982 times
I only get to Morgantown 2-4 times a month. The Krogers is more disappointing to me since it's renovations. The bakery isn't as nice and Starbucks doesn't interest me at all. I was hoping Krogers was going to put in one of their larger stores in Morgantown either in Westridge or in the Cheat Lake area. Krogers has never really invested in West Virginia and it wouldn't surprise me if one day they even left West Virginia. They did close a store in Weston and they've put little money into their other stores here. Many still look like they did in the 60's and 70's.Some money I believe has been put into one's in Charleston and Huntington but other than that nothing. In the northern part of the state the only nice Krogers is the one in Morgantown.I worked for Krogers for 13 years in Texas and only the Morgantown store comes close to any in Texas as far as size and how they are kept up. All others would be closed or management fired the way they are kept up here. There is little chance of another chain moving to the area unless they buy out Kroger. Most towns in this state have few options and those they do have are outdated and not kept up. Few of our grocery stores have nice meat markets. Deli's and bakeries have little selection and fresh seafood is almost unheard of in this state. I could eventually see 1-3 Trader Joe's but nothing else. I do think a few areas could support a Wegmans or a costco but those probably wouldn't happen anytime soon. Morgantown, Martinsburg,Huntington or Charleston are probably the only places that could support something new and Charleston's and Huntington's population drops don't make them look attractive for expansion of anything.Lidl is staying along the coast and Publics is nowhere near us at this point. Giant Eagle is expensive and doesn't seemed interested in West Virginia expansion.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:22 PM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I only get to Morgantown 2-4 times a month. The Krogers is more disappointing to me since it's renovations. The bakery isn't as nice and Starbucks doesn't interest me at all. I was hoping Krogers was going to put in one of their larger stores in Morgantown either in Westridge or in the Cheat Lake area. Krogers has never really invested in West Virginia and it wouldn't surprise me if one day they even left West Virginia. They did close a store in Weston and they've put little money into their other stores here. Many still look like they did in the 60's and 70's.Some money I believe has been put into one's in Charleston and Huntington but other than that nothing. In the northern part of the state the only nice Krogers is the one in Morgantown.I worked for Krogers for 13 years in Texas and only the Morgantown store comes close to any in Texas as far as size and how they are kept up. All others would be closed or management fired the way they are kept up here. There is little chance of another chain moving to the area unless they buy out Kroger. Most towns in this state have few options and those they do have are outdated and not kept up. Few of our grocery stores have nice meat markets. Deli's and bakeries have little selection and fresh seafood is almost unheard of in this state. I could eventually see 1-3 Trader Joe's but nothing else. I do think a few areas could support a Wegmans or a costco but those probably wouldn't happen anytime soon. Morgantown, Martinsburg,Huntington or Charleston are probably the only places that could support something new and Charleston's and Huntington's population drops don't make them look attractive for expansion of anything.Lidl is staying along the coast and Publics is nowhere near us at this point. Giant Eagle is expensive and doesn't seemed interested in West Virginia expansion.
Giant Eagle has 5 stores in Keyser, Hedgesville, Inwood, Martinsburg, and Charles Town under it's Martin's brand.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:08 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Giant Eagle has 5 stores in Keyser, Hedgesville, Inwood, Martinsburg, and Charles Town under it's Martin's brand.
That’s a different Giant. In MD and WV it is called Martins but in PA it is called just Giant (not to add confusion, but there is/was another Giant in MD that wasn’t associated with PA Giant or Giant Eagle). It is extremely confusing

Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 PM

35 posts, read 30,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
I'd really like to see something different around here. Kroger seems to have regressed and cut their offerings. The STC Kroger was a great store, but now half of it is a Starbucks that nobody goes to and wine.
You are kidding right? STC Kroger is the best grocery store in Morgantown. The in store Starbucks is popular and their wine section is very well laid out/stocked (not to mention the tap growler station & beer selection).

Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 AM

255 posts, read 391,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlewelynMoss View Post
You are kidding right? STC Kroger is the best grocery store in Morgantown. The in store Starbucks is popular and their wine section is very well laid out/stocked (not to mention the tap growler station & beer selection).

I actually like their layout because it is easy to avoid the non-essentials if all I want is real groceries. They have things in clusters so in a normal shopping trip I can basically ignore about 2/3 of the store

I go in by produce, skipping past the floral. I might grab a Starbucks depending on whether I need a boost. Produce is a big area then I can swing by bakery, deli if needed. I’m not a big drinker so I can skip the beer and wine most days. After that I concentrate on the back section of aisles, plus meat, seafood etc. I end up over at frozen, dairy etc and the check out. Almost the entire front section of aisles is snack food. Unless I actually need something specific I don’t go in those aisles and am not tempted to grab a bunch of junk.

I’ve been in some groceries where you had to go through almost every aisle to find what you need (anyone remember the late, unlamented maze of a Giant Eagle that was at Morgantown Commons for a short time-what a design disaster that was)

I would like a better selection of groceries at Kroger but at least I can easily avoid floral, snacks, beer/wine, drugstore, cleaning and pet supplies, home goods if I don’t need anything and can get in/out fairly quickly.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:06 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
It has changed in that Kroger huh? I recall nothing like it back in '00. But times change & so does grocery marketing. Of course back then, I never could order food online like on Amazon or these new fad online grocers. I prefer brick & mortar for food items & as such, can't wait if we get back to M-town, to checkout all the new stores that popped up in last 20yrs -- Yikes! getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown