Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
never went to Glenville, so don't know why that is part of this

Still, WVU rating/ranking/poll numbers/ect... whatever it is at being the top party school is a negative. You all can argue all you want that there is less partying than seems, or that everybody else is doing it, but in the mist of things it doesn't really matter. If Buffalo, NY was rated most boring city in the US, but it wasn't true, that would still be a bad thing. Same in this case, because it might not be true but its is still there and the whole country looks at that ranking and laughs.
The truth is that the survey was done by students at the various schools submitting survey forms from which the researchers compiled ~60 different lists, with this being one. The accurate way to restate/interpret the information is that more WVU students consider their school to be the best party school than students at any other surveyed school consider theirs.

Go back to post #1, follow the link, read for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM

881 posts, read 2,095,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Go back to post #1, follow the link, read for yourself.
And what, give up the reasons for a good kvetch?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,071,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
never went to Glenville, so don't know why that is part of this

Still, WVU rating/ranking/poll numbers/ect... whatever it is at being the top party school is a negative. You all can argue all you want that there is less partying than seems, or that everybody else is doing it, but in the mist of things it doesn't really matter. If Buffalo, NY was rated most boring city in the US, but it wasn't true, that would still be a bad thing. Same in this case, because it might not be true but its is still there and the whole country looks at that ranking and laughs.
Chris, nobody pays serious attention to that poll. There are lots of other great institutions that are very highly ranked in that poll. We have our largest freshman class ever at WVU, and I doubt that poll had one bit of influence on it one way or the other. Our school is steadily improving their academic profile with established, well developed, and properly funded program offerings in nearly 200 disciplines, and our steadily growing research component has reached almost $180 million in funded research per year. Most people could care less if some of the students quaf a stein once in awhile. I live here, and it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, AARP lists Morgantown as one of the top retirement sites due to our many cultural and natural amenities and comparitive value overall.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
AARP lists Morgantown as one of the top retirement sites due to our many cultural and natural amenities and comparitive value overall.
Well, that explains all the discarded bottles & other paraphernalia around town. D**n retirees! What's next, discarded walkers hanging from streetlamps? Busted canes littering the streets? Empty Ensure bottles stacked, pyramid like, on the site of old Mountaineer Field?
And here people want to blame the students.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
??? What "latter statement"? And @ far as college towns, I will only say you need to visit a few more, if you dare...
I was referring to your claim that I no longer live in a college town, something that can be easily checked with a few seconds on Wikipedia.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,891,611 times
Quote:
Well, that explains all the discarded bottles & other paraphernalia around town. D**n retirees! What's next, discarded walkers hanging from streetlamps? Busted canes littering the streets? Empty Ensure bottles stacked, pyramid like, on the site of old Mountaineer Field?
And here people want to blame the students.
There is trash everywhere.

Still a great city for people of all ages.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I was referring to your claim that I no longer live in a college town, something that can be easily checked with a few seconds on Wikipedia.
??? Seriously? I never "claimed" you live anywhere. In fact, I don't know where you live, whether or not you ever lived in Morgantown, nor do I care. But have a nice day anyway...

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, nobody pays serious attention to that poll. There are lots of other great institutions that are very highly ranked in that poll. We have our largest freshman class ever at WVU, and I doubt that poll had one bit of influence on it one way or the other. Our school is steadily improving their academic profile with established, well developed, and properly funded program offerings in nearly 200 disciplines, and our steadily growing research component has reached almost $180 million in funded research per year. Most people could care less if some of the students quaf a stein once in awhile. I live here, and it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, AARP lists Morgantown as one of the top retirement sites due to our many cultural and natural amenities and comparitive value overall.
People, including students with the types of academic profiles that most flagship state universities would like to attract, definitely pay attention to WVU's low US News rating (#164) and high party-school Princeton Review ranking (#1). ACC schools fare better (higher US News ranking and lower "party school" ranking), and generally attract more qualified applicants.

It may not matter to those who judge a school primarily by its ranking in pre-season football polls and the ability of some of its graduates to find jobs in a nearby city like DC that is currently awash with federal spending. But it's an exercise in self-delusion to pretend such rankings don't get "serious attention" by many others, both within and outside the state.

Last edited by JD984; 08-24-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
??? Seriously? I never "claimed" you live anywhere. In fact, I don't know where you live, whether or not you ever lived in Morgantown, nor do I care. But have a nice day anyway...
WTF? Do you deny typing, and I quote, "you don't live in a college town anymore"?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Well, I'll just stay self deluded by realizing that the "Princeton Review" is a company selling test prep materials, and who issues various "studies" to generate publicity in such vitally important Higher Education fields as "Professors Get High Marks," "Happiest Students," "Dorms Like Dungeons," "Most Religious Students," and "Most Beautiful Campus," and "Reefer Madness" among many other fascinating and no doubt highly influential categories...

BTW, what's "DC" got to do w/anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
WTF? Do you deny typing, and I quote, "you don't live in a college town anymore"?
Did you not read the rest of my post, or are you just clipping parts & pieces. Now you're just being silly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown