Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 04:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

The big news in Big Sky is the property valuations and associated taxes over the past 2 years. Anybody get their estimated taxes? I pulled mine off Cadastral and it's a 58% increase over 2 years ago! Holy CRAP!!! I never expected or wanted that.

We're seriously considering retiring back to WV from where we came especially if prices and taxes continue thru the roof. I've got maybe 10 years left in the tank- I can buy a nice place in WV with taxes 1/5th of what they pounded with us here. Holy crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 10:09 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
I posted here a while back that ours went up 60%. Was at my Chiro in WF the other day and his went up 80%.

We protested ours and have yet to meet with somebody to discuss it - apparently the county is overwhelmed with protests.

Welcome to the party.

Old 09-08-2023, 05:49 AM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
I see MT. has a Levy and Rate limit, but no assessment limit. https://leg.mt.gov/content/Committee...tax-limits.pdf

Old 09-08-2023, 09:03 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
We're in a glide path where prices will start pulling back ... these valuations don't hold up in the face of >7% interest rates. Had rates been around 5-7% the past 13yrs (where they should have been), we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Nobody's income went up 40-60% (unless you're a multi-millionaire or billionaire who continues to benefit from the largest wealth transfer in history).

Assessor comps need to get rid of the time period where rates were low, and only pull sales data from Spring '22 and beyond when the rates started shooting up and putting the brakes on the market - that more reflects current reality.

This was the argument we used when we filed our protest.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:27 AM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
https://www.ktvh.com/news/montana-co...ax-mill-levies

Old 09-10-2023, 02:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The big news in Big Sky is the property valuations and associated taxes over the past 2 years. Anybody get their estimated taxes? I pulled mine off Cadastral and it's a 58% increase over 2 years ago! Holy CRAP!!! I never expected or wanted that.

We're seriously considering retiring back to WV from where we came especially if prices and taxes continue thru the roof. I've got maybe 10 years left in the tank- I can buy a nice place in WV with taxes 1/5th of what they pounded with us here. Holy crap.

Yep welcome to the intermountain west. Fees and taxes just keep going up along with your property values thanks to the east/west coast influx the past five years.

WV taxes will go up just like all the other states - maybe not as quickly. I'd move back if I were you. Just make sure you get enuf for that property in Big Sky

Old 09-14-2023, 08:37 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Yeah, I was trawling the Cadastral the other day and noticed... since last year, assessments went up 60% on just about everything. Holy bankruptcy, Batman! People are expected to budget that... how??

Was croggled by the $600k valuation on the shack I rented (then the 2nd cheapest rental in town, after the cabin on L Street) down in Bozeman's fruit section (and it's just now been sold out of the family that owned it when I lived there in 1974, wow, long time to hold onto it but they made a killing).

If they want I should vote against every mill levy from now til the end of time... way to encourage that!

Old 09-15-2023, 02:22 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Yeah, I was trawling the Cadastral the other day and noticed... since last year, assessments went up 60% on just about everything. Holy bankruptcy, Batman! People are expected to budget that... how??

Was croggled by the $600k valuation on the shack I rented (then the 2nd cheapest rental in town, after the cabin on L Street) down in Bozeman's fruit section (and it's just now been sold out of the family that owned it when I lived there in 1974, wow, long time to hold onto it but they made a killing).

If they want I should vote against every mill levy from now til the end of time... way to encourage that!
That's how we're feeling. Why vote for levy's anymore..

Old 09-16-2023, 02:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's how we're feeling. Why vote for levy's anymore..

Better to vote out the commissioners who raised the millage

Old 09-16-2023, 02:50 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
This is not meant to be mean or superior or anything but when your state has seen the in-migration of wealthy people, many of them very wealthy, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Depending on the way a state sets up its assessments and taxation model increasing assessments rarely lead to a lowering of property taxes, a fallacy promoted by developers and elected officials.

Maryland is the same way, development always leads to increased taxes even if the rate remains the same. It's built into the state tax code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana