Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 09:05 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

I was told that premium gas in Missouri is actually non-ethanol gas.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 34,336 times
I've only been to a few gas stations, I don't drive much because of prices, but the ones i've been to, most high grade gas is non-ethanol.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:23 PM

I want this mainly for my emergency generator which prefers non-ethanol gas.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:13 PM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Premium gas (like 91 octane) in most states does not contain ethanol. You should be able to tell at the pump what you're buying. Pretty sure federal law says it has to be labeled with octane and whether it has ethanol. At least where I'm at in Midwest, about all the 87 octane is E10 as this is corn growing / ethanol country. And "Unleaded 88" is generally what E15 is called these days.

And for things like my snowblower, I'd always use non ethanol gas even though it can use E10 as it starts better in (very) cold weather.

Old 10-18-2023, 02:15 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
That's nonsense. All gas products sold in USofA have some percentage of ethanol. In the midwest we called it gasohol.
https://automotivenerd.com/is-premiu...ree-explained/

88 is sold in high altitude states - WY-MT-UT-CO as a replacement for 91 Oct
For those older mowers and blowers use leaded gas

Here in the tropics we burn either E85 (4.7L Dodge) or E100 (cane alcohol). MPG isn't as important as clean air, but it's hardly noticeable as when we operated with 89 Oct in the states.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:52 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

Is this true?
If it is at a gas pump where general purpose cars and trucks get fuel, it has to be labeled.
If it is non-ethanol, it will clearly state that. Usually right above or below the octane rating.

If you are near a lake or other places were boaters are among the , most gas stations will have one or two grades of non-ethanol gas. Again it will be clearly stated on the pump.
I will DM a couple pictures to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
That's nonsense. All gas products sold in USofA have some percentage of ethanol. In the midwest we called it gasohol.
88 is sold in high altitude states - WY-MT-UT-CO as a replacement for 91 Oct
For those older mowers and blowers use leaded gas
Here in the tropics we burn either E85 (4.7L Dodge) or E100 (cane alcohol). MPG isn't as important as clean air, but it's hardly noticeable as when we operated with 89 Oct in the states.
Ummmm. No.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

Is this true?
I am fairly certain you can find premium gas with ethanol, even in MO.
So I wouldn't go by that.

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything exclusively on MO. Labeling rules are federal, though, so the picture I sent you is reasonably accurate for what you are looking for. Should not be hard to find. Look for where the boats on trailers are getting gas.

I have heard, some agricultural areas are converting some of their pumps to ethanol free. Maybe, in the future, we will get more of a push back against the ethanol lobby.

Sadly, one thing I have also noticed is that you need to be careful, as the old color coding on the gas pump handles is in shambles. Read the pump carefully. You can't trust the colors at all.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Ummmm. No.
Check the EIA yourself

Old 10-24-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Your own link says:
Quote:
In the USA, premium gasoline has a 10% ethanol content. Ethanol requirements actually vary from state to state. Each state has their own freedom when it comes to their rules and regulations on how much ethanol has to be in their gasoline.

Quote:
Check the EIA yourself
OK, I will humor you.

Most current page available, on the subject:
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=26092
Quote:
There are also volumes of gasoline containing no ethanol, often referred to as E0, in the market. EIA surveys show U.S. E0 refinery and blender production of 894,000 barrels per day
Just to be clear, E0 is ethanol free.
So: you are wrong.

I did, belatedly, find one item of interest in OneDawg's linked article.
Had he read his own link, he could have prevented an argument.
His statements were still wrong, however.
Quote:
There are currently only six states that have a mandatory ethanol law and that is Hawaii, Minnesota, Florida, Oregon, Missouri, and Washington. Other than these states,
Get your alcohol free gas in Arkansas.
But be sure to read the label on the pump.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:19 AM

At a local Arkansas gas station I asked the clerk for non-ethanol gas and he said his premium is non-ethanol gas. It is not labeled as such. The Casey's across from it has labeled non-ethanol gas. Where I live at there are a lot of lakes and boats.

I have been using Missouri Premium gas for a year and it works great in my generator and zero-turn tractor. These recommend a minimum of 87 octane, but the generator book says it works better with non-ethanol gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri