Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

Hello
I live in a two unit bldg . I own one side and the other side is owned by someone else- and is a rental unit

The two units are both on slabs- mine is a single story- w/a single driveway. The connecting unit is two story- w/a double drive. We also own the property around our individual units- front, side and back yards.

The driveways are side by side but they are not physically connected. The driveways slabs are seperated by a thin black line of some kind of tarmac filler and or tar. Not quite sure what the material composition actually is- but the driveways themselves are concrete.

My problem is the couple renting have 3 vehicles between them- and a single double wide garage door. So they keep the left side of their drive clear at all times- and have selected one SUV to park in the garage-when needed and or as they feel like parking it in the garage. As its so full of junk there is only room for one vehicle to be parked in there

However they want to full access to the entirerty of the double drive, and also full access to all 4 doors on every vehicles- at all times- so they park the two vehicles that wont fit in the garage on the very far right side of their driveway- right on top of that black line or one inch on their side of the black line. This way they can park all vehicles in their drive and still open all doors on every side of each one- at will.

However by doing this- the only way they can utilize the passesger doors on the two vehicles parked on the line or one inch off the line- is to use my driveway to enter and exit the passessger sides of those two vehicles.

My problem is this- I only have a single drive and single garage- and because they park those vehicles on that line- and I mean 24/7- I have discovered that I cant park in front of my garage door- because if I do- I cant open my driver side doors all the way and walk around them - such as when unloading my SUV and bringing items into unit via my garage and or even cleaning my SUV. I have to close the driver side doors in order to get around them- or I have to walk entirely around my SUV.

The only other option is for me to pull into my drive- off set to the right from my garage door- and then eventually back down my drive and reposistion my vechicle so I can pull straight into my garage. which I am tired of doing...

My position is this....if I cant use my drive at free will and in the way that suits me- They sure as heck cant use to my driveway to enter and exit their vehicles. Ive asked nicely twice for them to not use my driveway= but they do it anyways.

What are my options?
TU Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 01:10 PM

23,254 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Where is your property line? If the vehicle itself isn't parked over the line (only the SUV's open door crosses it) there may not be much you can do other than request mutual courtesy. These are tenants, correct? If they ignore you, take it up with their landlord. Talk to your local police department about vehicle trespass and what property owners can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri