Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

A search doesn't reveal much discussion of Moberly in recent years. I'm considering moving there and commuting to Columbia.

How is it? I'm particularly wondering about drug and petty crime problems, which all too often afflict small, relatively isolated cities like this. I'm also wondering what most people there do for work. For example, is there only one major industry there, and maybe one or two employers who, if they were to shut down, would devastate the town? How resilient is its economy in this way?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 10:42 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
Why not Columbia? You don't have to worry about industry shut-downs. Or Jeff City?

Old 05-18-2023, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Why not Columbia? You don't have to worry about industry shut-downs. Or Jeff City?
Respectfully, my reasons are my own. I've put a lot of thought into alternatives, so I'm not looking for opinions on alternatives here. I'm wondering about Moberly specifically.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:03 PM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
Respectfully, my reasons are my own. I've put a lot of thought into alternatives, so I'm not looking for opinions on alternatives here. I'm wondering about Moberly specifically.

You do have the Norfolk Southern railroad lines converging there, if you are a fan of trains.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:13 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
A search doesn't reveal much discussion of Moberly in recent years. I'm considering moving there and commuting to Columbia.

How is it? I'm particularly wondering about drug and petty crime problems, which all too often afflict small, relatively isolated cities like this. I'm also wondering what most people there do for work. For example, is there only one major industry there, and maybe one or two employers who, if they were to shut down, would devastate the town? How resilient is its economy in this way?

Thanks!
A fair number of your queries might be answered in our host’s true primary business, accumulating and presenting info not dissimilar to what you seek. The URL for Moberly is https://www.city-data.com/city/Moberly-Missouri.html.

Some of your queries (petty and drug crime) don’t fit easily into any of the ones on the otherwise comprehensive info found there, but a lot can be gleaned from reading between the stats. For instance, there’s not much mention there of the state prison except a mention that it had 1,713 inmates, not an amount to sneeze at. Prisons are much sought-after employers and need to be well-staffed. It’s been a long time ago but I used to go there to talk with clients, and the parking lot was active and full. BTW- just googled and discovered this web page: https://crimegrade.org/drug-crimes-moberly-mo/. Doesn’t look good crime-wise, although drug crimes scored B- compared with the overall crime rate of D+.

There’s also mention, if indirectly, about the large number of people who commute to work in Columbia. It looked to me like about 35-40% of the employed persons in Moberly go elsewhere for work. While there are warehouse distribution centers in other small towns, the vast majority of commuters are coming to Columbia, with its state university, substantial medical center, and growing businesses like Veterans United Mortgage. For those folks, Moberly’s lower cost of living and conservative values make it worth the 70-75 mile commute to columbia’s very liberal values and comparatively high-priced homes. (I live in Columbia, BTW).

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
This website does have a pretty comprehensive crime section including but not limited to over 10 years of historical info and comparisons to area cities and the rest of the nation & breakdowns of crime type by year etc. etc., it's not so easy to navigate to is all.

[url]https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Moberly-Missouri.html[/url]

Old 06-09-2023, 06:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
You can get to the site of any city, place, and maybe zip code by inputing same on the front page of the city-data.com site.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
As a person that has lived in Moberly, there are about 7 good employers, however, unlike many towns of this size the crime rate is moderately high. However, there is good education and with it having a cheap cost of living, it wouldn't be a bad idea to move here.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:48 PM

134 posts, read 192,279 times
Just about everyone I knew from Moberly had to commute elsewhere for work unless they had an in-town, lower-paying job or worked at Wal-Mart's distribution center. The town has been on a downhill slide for a LONG time. The downtown area looked pretty sad the last time I was there with all of the shuttered businesses.

If you're going to work in Columbia then why not live in Columbia? It's a much nicer city with much more to do. Both places have your typical property crimes. I've heard more doom & gloom about crime in Columbia and, while it has increased, it has not been by much if you look at the numbers. There are many nice areas of Columbia to live in. Moberly has cheaper housing but you're going to burn up those cost savings driving 100 miles/day round trip, not to mention lost time. I lived in Columbia for 13 years and then moved to the Auxvasse area (bought a house with some land) and commuted for 10 from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri